Electromagnetic field acting on a conducting infinite plate

In summary, the conversation discusses an electromagnetic field in a specific region with non-zero components and the determination of the conditions for it to satisfy Maxwell's equations. The conversation also mentions the existence of a surface charge density and surface current density on a perfectly conducting plate in the region, and how to find these values using Maxwell's equations and boundary conditions. The conversation also addresses the concern about a changing magnetic field inducing an electric field, and explains how the curl of the electric field can be non-zero while the field itself remains zero.
papercace

Homework Statement

Consider an electromagnetic field in an empty space in the region ##0 \leq z \leq a## with the following non-zero components:
$$E_x = -B_0\frac{\omega a}{\pi}\sin\left(\frac{\pi z}{a}\right)\sin\left( ky-\omega t\right)\\
B_z = B_0\frac{ka}{\pi}\sin\left(\frac{\pi z}{a}\right)\sin\left( ky-\omega t\right)\\
B_y= B_0\cos\left(\frac{\pi z}{a}\right)\cos\left( ky-\omega t\right)
$$
Determine the condition for which this field satisfies Maxwell's equations. Assume that the fields are zero for z<0 and that there is a perfectly conducting plate in the z=0 plane and determine the surface charge density and surface current density on the plate.

Homework Equations

Maxwell's equations:
$$I. \quad \nabla \cdot \mathbf{E}=\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}\\
II. \quad \nabla \cdot \mathbf{B}=0\\
III. \quad \nabla \times \mathbf{E}=-\frac{\partial\mathbf{B}}{\partial t}\\
IV. \quad \nabla \times \mathbf{B}=\mu_0 \mathbf{J}+\mu_0\epsilon_0\frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{\partial t}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

It's the second part I have problems with. If you use MI (Maxwell I) you get ##\mathbf{E}=0 \Rightarrow \rho=0##. That's all fine and dandy, but if you use MIV you get
$$\nabla \times \mathbf{B}=\mu_0 \mathbf{J} = \left(\frac{k^2a}{\pi}+\frac{\pi}{a}\right)B_0\cos(ky-\omega t) \hat{\mathbf x}\\
\left(\frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{\partial t}=0 \quad \text{at} \quad z=0\right).$$
So we've got a current density but no charge density and no electric field at ##z=0## even though I think there should be some, especially since we have a changing B-field which should induce an E-field. Something is obviously wrong with my thought process.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part of the problem, did you find that there must exist a nonzero current density ##\mathbf{J}(y, z, t)## for the region ##z>0##?

papercace said:
It's the second part I have problems with. If you use MI (Maxwell I) you get ##\mathbf{E}=0 \Rightarrow \rho=0##. That's all fine and dandy, but if you use MIV you get
$$\nabla \times \mathbf{B}=\mu_0 \mathbf{J} = \left(\frac{k^2a}{\pi}+\frac{\pi}{a}\right)B_0\cos(ky-\omega t) \hat{\mathbf x}
$$
Shouldn't the right side of the equation contain ##\sin(\frac{\pi z}{a})## which would go to zero for ##z = 0##?

So we've got a current density but no charge density and no electric field at ##z=0## even though I think there should be some, especially since we have a changing B-field which should induce an E-field. Something is obviously wrong with my thought process.
Maxwell's equation MIII says that at a point where B is changing with time, the curl of E must be nonzero at that point. But, E itself does not have to be nonzero at that point. Consider the example of a uniform magnetic field in a circular region that is changing with time. At the center of the region the E field remains zero even though there is a changing magnetic field at the center.
See http://sdsu-physics.org/physics180/physics196/images_196/31_Electricfield1.jpg and note that E = 0 at r = 0.

To answer the second part of the problem, you will need to know the boundary conditions on E and B at the surface of a perfect conductor. See equations (1300) to (1303) here
https://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/jk1/lectures/node112.html

Related to Electromagnetic field acting on a conducting infinite plate

1. What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles and is responsible for the interactions between electrically charged objects. It consists of both electric and magnetic components and is essential in understanding the behavior of electricity and magnetism.

2. How does an electromagnetic field act on a conducting infinite plate?

An electromagnetic field will induce an electric current on a conducting infinite plate through a phenomenon called electromagnetic induction. This occurs when the magnetic field of the electromagnetic wave passing through the plate causes the electrons in the conducting material to move, creating a current.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electromagnetic field acting on a conducting infinite plate?

The strength of the electromagnetic field acting on a conducting infinite plate depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the conductivity of the material, and the thickness of the plate. Additionally, the angle and orientation of the plate relative to the direction of the magnetic field can also affect the strength of the induced current.

4. How can the effects of the electromagnetic field on a conducting infinite plate be minimized?

The effects of the electromagnetic field on a conducting infinite plate can be minimized by using materials with lower conductivity, increasing the distance between the plate and the source of the electromagnetic field, or by shielding the plate with materials that can block or redirect the magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the electromagnetic field acting on a conducting infinite plate?

Understanding the effects of the electromagnetic field on a conducting infinite plate has many practical applications, including wireless power transfer, electromagnetic interference shielding, and the operation of electric motors and generators. This knowledge is also crucial in the development of technologies such as wireless charging, electromagnetic sensors, and electromagnetic imaging.