How does carbon monoxide cause soda cans to explode?

In summary: And found the cars in the garage with the key fob off. The carbon monoxide was building up in the garage. The cars were running, but the key fob was off, so they didn't realize the car was running.
DBBPhysics
I just read an article about the hazards of the keyless feature on new cars (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/...less-cars-and-their-carbon-monoxide-toll.html). Apparently, it can be easy to not know a car is still running in the garage even though one might think that the car must be not running because the key fob is on the person after going into the house. Therefore, there have been deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning. One thing noted in that article was that soda cans can explode in the presence of carbon monoxide. I don't understand what physics are at hand that would cause that to occur. For the cans to explode, the pressure inside must be larger than the pressure outside the cans. If the pressure outside the cans is lower than normal, would not the garage implode before the cans explode or at least cause air to infiltrate the garage instead of imploding? Can anyone explain it to me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm. I've never heard of this before, and a quick google search turned up nothing. I'd remain skeptical for now.

I would think it was the heat, not the carbon monoxide. Having a car idling in your garage is the equivalent of about 10 electric space heaters.

Likes Asymptotic
I note that was attributed to a victims son.

I can't think of a reason why C0 would cause soda cans to explore. Heat perhaps?

russ_watters said:
I would think it was the heat, not the carbon monoxide. Having a car idling in your garage is the equivalent of about 10 electric space heaters.
I thought that the emission control would turn the engine off before there was more than a safe level in the garage. Was it just an urban legend that it is now difficult to kill yourself with a tube from the exhaust pipe? Perhaps I am just gullible.

DBBPhysics said:
If the pressure outside the cans is lower than normal, would not the garage implode before the cans explode or at least cause air to infiltrate the garage instead of imploding?

Air would infiltrate, enough to prevent an implosion.

Look at the photograph of the exploded cans of Pepsi. They all failed at the seam around the lid. Moreover, the Pepsi cans are staked atop other cans that appear to be identical except they contain some other kind of beverage. I can't tell from the little bit of can that shows in the photo, but they appear to cans of soda also. Perhaps Mountain Dew? Can anyone tell?

I believe Mountain Dew and Pepsi are made by the same company.

My first guess is that there's a seal around the lid of the Pepsi cans that fails in the presence of carbon monoxide.

Anyway, everyone should have a CO detector in their home. I have two, one is a dedicated CO detector and the other is part of a smoke detector. I am now seriously thinking about putting one in my garage, too.

CWatters said:
I note that was attributed to a victims son.

Yes, maybe that is the answer: the son made the comment that the cans exploded because of the carbon monoxide rather than an expert making that claim and the writer for the NYT did not check it out his statement (I'm shocked!...).

Likes russ_watters
sophiecentaur said:
I thought that the emission control would turn the engine off before there was more than a safe level in the garage. Was it just an urban legend that it is now difficult to kill yourself with a tube from the exhaust pipe? Perhaps I am just gullible.
Must be an urban legend. I can't imagine why - or even how - a car would be programmed to do that.
[edit]
I'm wondering though if it is a myth that it is CO that kills you in the common suicide scenario. CO2 seems more likely to me.

Last edited:
Mister T said:
Look at the photograph of the exploded cans of Pepsi. They all failed at the seam around the lid...

My first guess is that there's a seal around the lid of the Pepsi cans that fails in the presence of carbon monoxide.
Well:
1. Google tells me CO is not corrosive at low concentrations and atmospheric pressure.
2. As far as I know, the seal is mechanical: it is crimped.
3. You can see the kids are bulged from being under excessive pressure.
Anyway, everyone should have a CO detector in their home.
Agreed.

Likes davenn
russ_watters said:
2. As far as I know, the seal is mechanical: it is crimped.

There is a sealing compound added to the crimped seal to keep it airtight, but I can't imagine it would cause a can to explode if degraded.

Likes russ_watters
I read the article, then came here because I googled that same question. I have a solution to the mystery of the exploded cans.

A father was living in the house. He was the one who was killed by the CO. The son inspected the house after the incident. He found the exploded soda cans.

My theory is that those cans had exploded before the CO incident. Perhaps the father had left them in a hot car and they exploded. He just took them and put them in the garage. Later (perhaps years later) the father was killed by CO. So there is no connection between the exploded pepsi cans and CO. Mystery solved.

Danny Sleator said:
I have a solution to the mystery of the exploded cans.

A father was living in the house. He was the one who was killed by the CO. The son inspected the house after the incident. He found the exploded soda cans.

My theory is that those cans had exploded before the CO incident. Perhaps the father had left them in a hot car and they exploded. He just took them and put them in the garage. Later (perhaps years later) the father was killed by CO. So there is no connection between the exploded pepsi cans and CO. Mystery solved.
Seems unnecessarily convoluted compared to my simpler explanation, to me.

Drakkith said:
There is a sealing compound added to the crimped seal to keep it airtight, but I can't imagine it would cause a can to explode if degraded.

I wouldn't call what I saw in that photo an explosion. If anything, it looks like a safety mechanism was activated to prevent an explosion.

russ_watters said:
I would think it was the heat, not the carbon monoxide.

Is what we see in that photo consistent with that explanation? Only the Pepsi cans failed, and all the Pepsi cans failed. And all at the same place, the seam around the lid.

Perhaps the cans froze over winter and ice pushed out the tops?

Not a physicist, but it looks like the cans below Pepsi are YooHoo, not carbonated. In the NYT picture, there looks like Pepsi residue on the lids of the cans below- especially on the right (but not as much as one would expect) and little bits of spatter on the package of what looks like paper towels to the left, and plastic sheeting on the right. Heat would make sense, think of all of the heat energy in a gallon of gas, let alone however many were burned while the car was idling. Truly sad, however.

Likes Asymptotic and russ_watters
Mister T said:
Is what we see in that photo consistent with that explanation? Only the Pepsi cans failed, and all the Pepsi cans failed. And all at the same place, the seam around the lid.

Am I missing a photo? I don't see a picture that includes soda cans anywhere in the article.

Mister T said:
The Pepsi cans are higher up than the other cans, and stratification is pretty substantial in a situation like this. And there are other potential factors: they may not be identically constructed, the liquids may not be identical and the ones on the bottom may be sitting on something that could conduct heat away.

Also, if you look closely at the pictures you can see the tops themselves are bent outward, indicating they were substantially pressurized before the crimp let go.

...although the article appears to have been edited to remove the photo.

Drakkith said:
Am I missing a photo? I don't see a picture that includes soda cans anywhere in the article.
The article has been revised to remove the bits about the cans. See https://imgur.com/a/d9w7XWa

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Drakkith said:
It appears to have been removed -- possibly they realized the error in the explanation. I'll see if I can find a copy in my cache or on my cell phone to upload.

To me, the key that says elevated internal pressure is the fact that all the tops that failed popped from concave to convex, indicating higher than normal internal pressure before the seal/crimp joint gave way...plus several cans that didn't open up still have their tops popped convex.

Unfortunately, I've experimented with this myself...

Perhaps it was the heat of the engine running in an enclosed garage that did it. But... if the cans opened from heat while in the location shown in the picture there should be quite a sticky mess.

There are actually two kinds of Pepsi in the picture. I am going to guess the guy wanted to do a taste test and impatiently put them in a freezer to chill. They blew up then he took them out. Later on he died.

Danny Sleator said:
I read the article, then came here because I googled that same question. I have a solution to the mystery of the exploded cans.

In light of the fact that all references to the soda cans were deleted now in the article, I agree with this theory.

Drakkith said:
Copied the photo from the NYT article, I will post it.
upload_2018-5-14_11-22-59.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-14_11-22-59.jpeg
    upload_2018-5-14_11-22-59.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 686
Likes Drakkith
nonphysicist said:
Copied the photo from the NYT article, I will post it.

Thank you! That picture was nowhere to be found when I looked at the article.
Perhaps the cans exploded because of the heat?

Likes russ_watters
DBBPhysics said:
In light of the fact that all references to the soda cans were deleted now in the article, I agree with this theory.
The problem with this theory is that it requires an entire back-story including several assumed actions that don't make sense. It's possible, but Occam and I prefer simpler explanations.

CWatters said:
Perhaps the cans froze over winter and ice pushed out the tops?

In Boca Raton? Not likely!

The culprit was undoubtedly heat. Check out a can of Coke left in a car in the hot sun:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/y...nough_to_explode_a_Coke_can_inside_a_car.html
coke_can_popped_top_300.jpg

Look familar? The heat drives the CO2 out of solution, cramming the gas into the small dead space above the liquid. When the lid blows off, the gas escapes, and the liquid is left sitting there largely undisturbed.
(The drink in the yellow cans is Yoo-Hoo, which is not carbonated and is therefore immune to this problem.)

Possibly related to the heat from a running engine, in a closed garage, in Florida, but it has nothing to do with the carbon monoxide.

Attachments

• coke_can_popped_top_300.jpg
    coke_can_popped_top_300.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic, russ_watters, Mister T and 1 other person
Any cold liquid that contains water will adsorb carbon dioxide. Some people claim hot beer & Hot soda is bad because all the carbon dioxide is released at about 85 degrees. Carbon dioxide is still inside the un opened can but no longer adsorbed in the liquid, pressure will be higher in a hot car or in the hot sun. If you put un opened containers of hot beer & soda in the refrigerator for 1 week in cold temperature carbon dioxide is adsorbed back into the liquid. If you throw a cold soft drink into the air nothing much happens when it hits the ground. If you throw a hot soft drink into the air when it hits the ground it explodes. That is the physics of carbon dioxide not sure how that applies to carbon monoxide unless HOT car engine exhaust causes soft drinks to explode.

At the bottom of the article:

"Correction: May 14, 2018
An earlier version of this article included a quotation from a family member of a carbon-monoxide poisoning victim that referred incorrectly to the cause of an explosion of Pepsi cans in the victim’s garage at the time of the fatal episode. (The error was repeated in a caption.) The explosion of the soda cans was most likely caused by heat; a carbon-monoxide buildup would not cause such an explosion."

Likes russ_watters
Excessive CO2 will kill you, excessive CO kills you quicker,

In modern cars with effective catalytic converters, the amount of CO is very, very low. Cars are no longer an effective source of CO. Bad furnaces can produce a lot of CO as can a fireplace with a closed damper. CO2 will kill you, but again, how much CO2 would have to be loaded into a home from a garage to become lethal? There are places where CO2 can be lethal quickly. When fermenting any biologic that's going to make distilled spirits, the gas given off by the yeast is CO2 (they're living things eating sugar). I'm familiar with a modern distillery here in Louisville that has eight 24,000 gallon fermenters and they produce copious amounts of CO2. It is heavier than air and can collect in the lower reaches of the plant. There is an extraction system so it is constantly moved out, but if that fails, there are alarms to prevent humans from going into those spaces without an air pack. In high concentration, CO2 will kill you very fast and rather painlessly.

Likes russ_watters
rootone said:
Excessive CO2 will kill you, excessive CO kills you quicker,
It of course depends on how much.

In a previous post, I mentioned the suicide by car tactic, where you use a garden hose to pipe exhaust into the car cabin. With this tactic, there should be almost no carbon monoxide in the car cabin (per previous post about how little CO cars actually produce*), but after just a few minutes pretty much all of the air will be replaced by CO2 and water vapor. Thus it is my belief that it would be CO2, not CO, that would kill you.

*Short version: in order to produce a significant amount of CO you need to significantly choke-off the oxygen supply to the combustion and the car ECM has to be unable to compensate. In other words, in order for the engine to produce a significant amount of CO it first has to replace a significant amount of air in the garage with CO2. If you pipe your exhaust into the cabin of the car, the engine is getting normal, fresh air for a while, so it should be producing almost no CO.

trainman2001 said:
In high concentration, CO2 will kill you very fast and rather painlessly.
And for that reason, it is used to euthanize animals.

russ_watters said:
It of course depends on how much.
You need much less CO than CO2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning#Signs_and_symptoms
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercapnia#Tolerance

russ_watters said:
Thus it is my belief that it would be CO2, not CO, that would kill you.
In some scenarios maybe. But here the victim was found in the house, not in the garage. Reaching lethal levels of CO2 in the entire house seems unlikely. The article names CO as the cause of death, and states that the levels in the house were "at least 30 times the level that humans can tolerate". This cannot refer to CO2.

Last edited: