How Does Calculus Explain Bullet Deceleration Due to Air Resistance?

In summary, the question is how to write a function that describes the time it will take for a bullet to travel a certain distance, given its initial velocity and a constant relating to its properties. The solution involves integrating the equation for acceleration due to air resistance and using the resulting equation to solve for time. However, this requires an understanding of calculus, which the asker does not have. Therefore, it is suggested that they take a calculus course in order to better understand the solution.
Dux
I hope I'm posting this in the right section. What follows is not an actual homework problem, but it is a problem that might be similar to a textbook problem, and it involves calculus that I do not understand. The question is as follows:

Homework Statement

A bullet is fired from a gun. As soon as it leaves the barrel, the bullet begins to decelerate due to air resistance at a rate defined by the following equation:

a = -kv2

The variable "a" is (negative) acceleration.
The variable "v" is instantaneous velocity.
The variable "k" is simply a constant that relates to the particular properties of the bullet.

From this equation, write a function that describes the time it will take the bullet to travel x distance.

------

Now, I have asked this question before, and I actually was given a solution by someone at one point that works. It involved integrating the given function twice, but truthfully, I don't understand it at all, and I would really like to. I am hoping that someone on this forum might be able to help me understand the calculus involved with this sort of thing.

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is this:

t = (1/(V * k)) * (exp(D * k) - 1)

"V" is the initial velocity of the bullet (i.e., the muzzle velocity); "k" is the constant from the original equation; "D" is the distance the bullet traveled; and "exp" is just shorthand for the exponential equation (i.e., e to the power of D * k).

This solution works. I have tested it. But I have no idea how it was obtained, and it's driving me crazy. If anyone can help me understand it, I would be most appreciative!

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the velocity of the bullet change due to the air resistance of the bullet? In other words, what is the relationship between velocity, acceleration (or deceleration, in this case), and time?

You are given that a= -kv^2. Of course a, the acceleration is defined as the derivative of velocity with respect to time so this is the differential equation [itex]dv/dt= -kv^2[/itex] which is the same as [itex]dv/v^2= -kdt[/itex]. Integrate both sides of that equation.

HallsofIvy said:
You are given that a= -kv^2. Of course a, the acceleration is defined as the derivative of velocity with respect to time so this is the differential equation [itex]dv/dt= -kv^2[/itex] which is the same as [itex]dv/v^2= -kdt[/itex]. Integrate both sides of that equation.
And how do you do that? I have zero understanding of calculus.

How do you expect to understand something that uses calculus in its derivation if you have "zero understanding" of calculus? Perhaps you should start by taking a calculus course, which is a prerequisite for studying differential equations.

Related to How Does Calculus Explain Bullet Deceleration Due to Air Resistance?

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that studies rates of change and accumulation. It is used to solve problems involving motion, growth, and decay.

What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus focuses on the study of rates of change, while integral calculus focuses on the accumulation of quantities.

What is the difference between derivatives and integrals?

Derivatives are used to find the rate of change of a function, while integrals are used to find the area under a curve. Essentially, derivatives measure instantaneous change, while integrals measure accumulated change.

What are the basic rules of differentiation?

The basic rules of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler parts.

How is calculus used in real life?

Calculus has many real-world applications, such as predicting the motion of objects, optimizing systems, and understanding the rate of change in various fields like economics and science. It is also used in engineering, physics, and other areas of science and technology.