How Does Caffeine Accumulate with Regular Intake Every 6 Hours?

In summary, a series-related word problem is a type of math problem that involves a series of numbers or terms that follow a specific pattern or sequence. These problems often require the use of mathematical operations to find a missing term or determine the next term in the series. Some common examples include finding the nth term, calculating the sum, or determining the number of terms. To solve these problems, one must carefully identify patterns and use algebraic equations or formulas. Strategies for approaching these problems include creating a table or chart and working backwards from the desired outcome. To check the answer, one can plug the solution back into the problem, use a calculator or tool, or seek confirmation from a teacher or classmate.
rhymes116

Homework Statement

Here is the word problem:

A cup of coffee contains about 120 mg of caffeine, while the half life of the caffeine in an adult is about 3.5 hours.

1.) Suppose you ingest a cup of coffee every 6 hours. Obtain an expression for the amount of caffeine , A sub n, remaining in your body just before you drink your nth cup of coffee. Determine limit of [A sub n] as n approaches infinite.

2.) Suppose you require a minimum of 70mg of caffeine to enjoy its benefits. . What is the longest time you can wait between successive cups pf coffee? (in hrs and minutes.)

Homework Equations

I believe the only relevant equation for this problem would be taking the half life of caffeine every 3.5 hours

First assuming that a person doesn't take any more caffeine after the first cup, we have the following amounts of caffeine every 3.5 hours:

end of 3.5 hrs=60mg
7hrs=30mg
10.5hrs=15mg
14hrs=7.5mg
17.5hrs=3.75mg
21hrs=1.875mg
24.5hrs=0.9375mg
28hrs=0.46875mg

we see the amount of caffeine approaching zero, correct?

now I am having trouble correlating the amount of caffeine remaining after 6 hours. After 7 hrs we see that 2 half lives have occured. So if I can find out how much remains after 6 hours, then add the additional cup a series can be created. This is where I need help. Anyone have any idea?

The Attempt at a Solution

see above

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this word problem to our attention. I would like to provide a solution to your question.

1) To obtain an expression for the amount of caffeine remaining in your body just before you drink your nth cup of coffee, we can use the formula A sub n = A sub 0 * (1/2)^n, where A sub 0 is the initial amount of caffeine (120 mg in this case). This formula represents the amount of caffeine remaining after n half-lives have passed.

So, for the first cup of coffee, n = 0 and A sub 0 = 120 mg. For the second cup of coffee, n = 1 and A sub 1 = 120 * (1/2)^1 = 60 mg. For the third cup, n = 2 and A sub 2 = 120 * (1/2)^2 = 30 mg. And so on.

As for the limit of A sub n as n approaches infinity, we can see that the amount of caffeine remaining will approach 0 as n increases. This is because the value of (1/2)^n will approach 0 as n increases.

2) To determine the longest time you can wait between successive cups of coffee, we can use the same formula as above and set A sub n = 70 mg. Then, solving for n, we get n = log(70/120)/log(1/2) = 0.415. This means that after approximately 0.415 half-lives, the amount of caffeine remaining will be 70 mg. Since each half-life is 3.5 hours, the longest time you can wait between cups of coffee is 0.415 * 3.5 = 1.45 hours, or 1 hour and 27 minutes.

I hope this helps in solving your word problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your studies!
[Your Title/Position]

Related to How Does Caffeine Accumulate with Regular Intake Every 6 Hours?

What is a "series-related word problem"?

A series-related word problem is a type of math problem that involves a series of numbers or terms that follow a specific pattern or sequence. These problems often require the use of mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division, to find a missing term or determine the next term in the series.

What are some common examples of series-related word problems?

Some common examples of series-related word problems include finding the nth term of a sequence, calculating the sum of a series, or determining the number of terms in a series. These types of problems can also involve geometric or arithmetic series, as well as Fibonacci or Pascal's triangle sequences.

How do I solve a series-related word problem?

To solve a series-related word problem, you will need to carefully read the problem and identify any patterns or relationships between the given numbers or terms. You may need to use algebraic equations or formulas to find the missing term or determine the next term in the series. It is important to show all of your work and check your answer to ensure it is correct.

What strategies can I use to approach series-related word problems?

One strategy for solving series-related word problems is to create a table or chart to organize the given numbers or terms and their corresponding values. This can help you to identify any patterns or relationships more easily. Another strategy is to work backwards from the desired outcome or final term in the series, using the given information to determine the previous terms.

How can I check my answer for a series-related word problem?

To check your answer for a series-related word problem, you can plug your solution back into the problem and see if it satisfies all of the given conditions. You can also use a calculator or online tool to verify your answer, or ask a teacher or classmate to review your solution. It is important to double-check your work and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.