How does butane gas flow from a canister to refill a lighter?

In summary, the transfer of butane gas from an external canister to a lighter occurs due to a combination of gravity and vapor pressure. The lighter is held above the canister, allowing the gas to flow downwards. This process is explained in more detail in the posted link. The volume of fuel exiting the tank will be equal to the volume of fuel entering the tank from the canister, and this is how the lighter gets filled.
M.Kalai vanan
when butane lighters are refilled by external canister, HOW and WHY butane gas flows from canister to lighter
Is it due to GRAVITY or VAPOR PRESSURE?
If GRAVITY is the reason I have posted a link where torch is held above the canister?
If it is vapor pressure, it is going to be same is both the tanks ?
Some one please explain HOW this actual transfer is happening ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks
But I still don't have a clear picture
If the lighter tank is vented to atmosphere causing a pressure drop between canister and tank,
Will then the
volume of fuel exiting the tank= volume of fuel entering the tank from canister
Then how does it gets filled

Related to How does butane gas flow from a canister to refill a lighter?

What is a butane lighter?

A butane lighter is a small portable device that uses butane gas as fuel to produce a flame for lighting cigarettes, candles, or other flammable objects.

How do I refill a butane lighter?

To refill a butane lighter, you must first locate the refill valve, which is usually located on the bottom of the lighter. Then, insert the tip of the butane refill canister into the valve and press down firmly for about 5-10 seconds. Repeat until the lighter is full.

What type of butane should I use to refill my lighter?

It is important to use high-quality, filtered butane when refilling your lighter. Look for brands that specifically state they are suitable for refilling lighters, and avoid using cheaper butane as it may contain impurities that can clog the lighter's valve.

How often should I refill my butane lighter?

The frequency of refilling your butane lighter will depend on how often you use it. If you use it frequently, it may need to be refilled every 1-2 weeks. However, if you only use it occasionally, it may last for several months before needing a refill.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when refilling a butane lighter?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when refilling a butane lighter. Make sure to do it in a well-ventilated area and avoid inhaling the gas. Also, be careful not to overfill the lighter as this can cause it to malfunction or potentially explode. Always read the instructions on the refill canister carefully before use.