How Does Binomial Expansion Work for Rational Indices?

In summary, the expansion of (1+x)^n when n is a rational number and |x|<1 is an infinite sum where n is any real number and the coefficients follow the same pattern as the binomial expansion for positive integers. This can be derived from the general binomial expansion of (a+b)^n. Thanks to the contributors for this helpful information.
sparsh
Hi

I wanted to know what is the expansion of (1+x)^n when n is a rational number and |x|<1 ...
Please let me know as soon as possible..

Thanks for your help
Sincerely
Sparsh

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex](1+x)^{n} = 1 + nx + \frac{n(n-1)}{1\cdot 2}x^{2} + ... + \frac{n(n-1)...(n-r+1)}{1\cdot 2 ... r}x^{r}[/tex]

Where [itex]|x|<1[/itex] and n is any real number. This can be derived from the general binomial expansion of [itex](a+b)^n[/itex].

Regards,
~Hoot

I assume you know that, for n a positive integer
[tex](1+ x)^n= 1+ nx+ ... + _nC_i x^i+ ...[/tex]
where
[tex]_nC_i= \frac{n!}{i!(n-i)!}= \frac{n(n-1)...(n-i+1)}{i!}[/tex]
For n a rational number, basically the same formula is true. Only now [itex]_nC_i[/itex] is never 0 so we get an infinite sum.

For example, if n= 1/2 then [itex]_{\frac{1}{2}}C_1= \frac{1}{2}[/itex], [itex]_{\frac{1}{2}}C_2= \frac{\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{2}-1)}{2}= -\frac{1}{8}[/itex], [itex]_{\frac{1}{2}}C_3= \frac{\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{2}-1)(\frac{1}{2}-2)}{6}= \frac{1}{16}[/itex], etc. so that
[tex](1+ x)^{\frac{1}{2}}= 1+ \frac{1}{2}x-\frac{1}{8}x^2+ \frac{1}{16}x^4-...[/tex]
exactly as you would get from the Taylor's series.

Thanks to both .
The post by HallsofIvy was particularly useful .

Related to How Does Binomial Expansion Work for Rational Indices?

1. What is binomial expansion for rational index?

Binomial expansion for rational index is a mathematical technique used to expand a binomial expression with a fractional or rational exponent. It involves using the binomial theorem to find the coefficients and terms of the expanded expression.

2. How is binomial expansion for rational index useful?

Binomial expansion for rational index is useful in solving various mathematical problems involving binomial expressions with rational exponents. It can also be used to find approximations for certain values and to simplify complicated expressions.

3. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a formula that provides a way to expand a binomial expression raised to any positive integer power. It states that the coefficients of the expanded expression can be found by using combinations and the terms can be found by raising the binomial expression to different powers.

4. How do you perform binomial expansion for rational index?

To perform binomial expansion for rational index, you can use Pascal's triangle or the binomial theorem formula. First, determine the coefficients using combinations and then use them to expand the terms of the expression. Finally, simplify the terms and combine like terms if possible.

5. Can binomial expansion for rational index be used for negative or non-integer exponents?

Yes, binomial expansion for rational index can also be used for negative or non-integer exponents. In this case, the formula for the coefficients and terms may be slightly different, but the general process remains the same.