How Does Axial Flow Affect Flow Rate and Head in Turbomachinery?

In summary: I hope it will be useful for you.In summary, the conversation discusses the different types of rotodynamic devices, including axial and radial flow compressors, and their capabilities in terms of flow rate and head. The effects of rotational speed and mass flow rate on pressure ratio and gas turbine performance are also mentioned, with impeller design being a key factor in achieving desired results. The conversation also requests sources for further information on these topics.
ahmedbadr
iam confused so much about some concepts of turbomachinery.
according to the classification of rotodynamics devices there are 3 types radial flow,axial flow and mixed flow and axial flow gives higher flow rate compared to radial flow and lower head.

so my question is what is meant that axial flow gives higher flow rate and lower head ?

cant we convert kinetic energy(flow rate) to pressure (head) and vise verse so the point is how much the power input to the device so we can convert this power to to flow rate or head regardless the type of rotodynamic(axial or radial) i.e the diection of flow

another question does the design of impeller or propeller has to do something about that?

finally i hope if you can get m,e a source (website or books)that clearify this point and clarify the the design of impellers and animations .

Engineering news on Phys.org

no one answers?

ahmedbadr said:
cant we convert kinetic energy(flow rate) to pressure (head) and vise verse so the point is how much the power input to the device so we can convert this power to to flow rate or head regardless the type of rotodynamic(axial or radial) i.e the diection of flow
Yes, this is all perfectly correct. The type of compressor doesn't really have anything to do with how much the pressure is raised or how much flow can be developed. Flow and pressure are independant of the method used to compress a gas.

ahmedbadr said:
iam confused so much about some concepts of turbomachinery.
according to the classification of rotodynamics devices there are 3 types radial flow,axial flow and mixed flow and axial flow gives higher flow rate compared to radial flow and lower head.

so my question is what is meant that axial flow gives higher flow rate and lower head ?
When it is said that an axial flow compressor produces a higher flow rate and less pressure (ie: head), it is only meant that there are typical niches that are more suitable for specific types of compression equipment. A reciprocating compressor could do just as much flow as an axial flow compressor, but we wouldn't use a recip in a jet engine. We'd use an axial compressor because there are inherent advantages to one type over another. All the statement is really saying is that "typically" an axial flow compressor will be used to produce flow rates that are higher than radial flow centrifugal compressors or that centrifugal compressors are typically used to provide more pressure than axial compressors. For that matter, reciprocating compressors are typically used when higher pressure and less flow is required. The statement is merely a generalization on the type of compressor used for an application.

turbomachinery

i want to know the effect of changing the rotational speed and the mass flow rate on the pressure ration of axial compressor and centrifugal compressor and the effect of the same two parameters on the gas turbine ??
it would be better if anyone can tell abt website that can i get these information from

In general you can think of the affinity laws for a rough estimation of changes in operating conditions of compressors. i.e. flow is proportional to shaft speed, and head is proportional to the square of shaft speed. Really, you would need to consult the OEM of the compressor of performance curves at whatever operation point you have in mind.
Usually you can get predicted discharge pressure, temperature, and efficiency versus flow at one or more speeds.
Normally gas turbines have a relatively small speed range otherwise the efficiency suffers.

Impeller design has everything to do with compressor properties. The blade tip width, blade angle relative to tangent, impeller diameter, diffuser width, return channel shape, impeller inducer shape, impeller diameter all affect the amount of head, flow, and efficiency a centrifugal stage can achieve. Similarly, an axial's properties are affected by rotating blade shape, stationary blade shape, and angle.

(merged 2 threads with the same title and author)

ahmedbadr said:
i want to know the effect of changing the rotational speed and the mass flow rate on the pressure ration of axial compressor and centrifugal compressor and the effect of the same two parameters on the gas turbine ??
it would be better if anyone can tell abt website that can i get these information from

I don't know your knowledge level about this, but it's a relatively difficult machine to simplify. http://books.google.com/books?id=s4...urbomachinery&hl=fr&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false", you can access part of a book that explain the velocity diagrams and the energy transfer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Does Axial Flow Affect Flow Rate and Head in Turbomachinery?

1. What is turbomachinery?

Turbomachinery is a term used to describe a class of machines that are used to transfer energy between a fluid and a rotor. These machines include turbines, compressors, pumps, and fans.

2. How does turbomachinery work?

Turbomachinery works by utilizing the energy of a moving fluid to rotate a rotor, which in turn can produce mechanical work or compress/expand the fluid. The fluid is directed through the machine by blades or vanes, which are curved to efficiently extract or impart energy.

3. What are the main types of turbomachinery?

The main types of turbomachinery are turbines, compressors, pumps, and fans. Turbines are used to extract energy from a fluid, compressors are used to increase the pressure of a fluid, pumps are used to increase the flow of a fluid, and fans are used to move a fluid.

4. What are the applications of turbomachinery?

Turbomachinery is used in a wide range of applications, including power generation, aviation, marine propulsion, and industrial processes. Turbines are commonly used in power plants to generate electricity, while compressors are used in gas turbines for aircraft propulsion. Pumps and fans are used in various industrial processes and HVAC systems.

5. What are the challenges in designing turbomachinery?

Designing turbomachinery can be challenging due to the complex fluid dynamics involved. The design must consider factors such as efficiency, pressure losses, and structural integrity. Additionally, the operating conditions and materials used must be carefully considered to ensure the machine can perform reliably and efficiently for its intended application.