How Does Antenna Gain Influence Signal Power Calculations?

In summary, the antenna gain equation suggests that if you place two antennas opposite each other, they will generate energy. However, this is wrong, as the antenna link equation only validates in the far-field.
H_man
Antenna Gain??

:confused:Hi all,

I am really confused by the subject of antenna gain.

I have no problem with the idea of the idea that an antennas performance should be related to how welll it focusses radiation relative to an isotropic emitter. Bus as this gives a figure greater than one I really don't understand how it can be used in power calculations.

Signal Power = Transmitted Power * Transmitting Antenna Gain * Recieving Antenna Gain / Losses in cables and through the medium

This equation to me suggests that if you placed two antennas opposite each other they will generate energy. Obviously this is wrong, but what am I not seeing?

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

The antenna link equation is only valid in the far-field, this place restrictions on the range of values of R that you can have in relation to both the wavelength and physical size of the antenna. As such, this provides that any high gain is countered by the free space loss.

Thanks... It makes more sense if this equation can only be used under certain circumstances (far field).

Although it still seems/feels like there is some constant missing from the equation.

H_man said:
:confused:Hi all,

Signal Power = Transmitted Power * Transmitting Antenna Gain * Recieving Antenna Gain / Losses in cables and through the medium

This equation to me suggests that if you placed two antennas opposite each other they will generate energy. Obviously this is wrong, but what am I not seeing?

I am currently studying antenna theory and I'm very confused also.

Why does this equation suggest that?

Thank you,

Bob

Wannabeagenius said:
I am currently studying antenna theory and I'm very confused also.

Why does this equation suggest that?

Thank you,

Bob

It makes more sense when you consider the equation as Friis originally stated it. He originally wrote it in terms of the effective aperture of the antennas. That is,

[tex]P_r = \frac{A_rA_tP_t}{d^2\lambda^2}[/tex]

The effective aperture is the effective area of the antenna over which it captures the incident electromagnetic energy. It is related to the physical aperture by an efficiency coefficient, so the largest effective aperture that is possible is the physical aperture of the antenna. And the physical aperture is limited by the physical size of the antenna.

The easiest way to visualize this is with a horn antenna. The horn antenna is a rectangular waveguide that has an attached horn that acts as a transformer, going from the impedance of the waveguide to that of free space. We can think of the opening of the horn as our physical aperture, if the horn is a perfect transformer than all radiation incident on the mouth of the horn will be captured and converted into a guided wave inside the horn's waveguide. Thus, the amount of power that can be received is limited by the physical size of our horn antenna. Since the far-field condition is dependent upon the electrical size of the antenna, then the larger the antenna is then the farther away we need to setup our link antenna for the Friis antenna equations to be valid. By increasing the distance though, we offset the large effective aperture by the space loss factor.

The far-field limit is such that

[tex]d > \frac{2D^2}{\lambda} [/tex]

where $D$ is the largest dimension of the radiator. So we can think of $D^2$ as a physical aperture. Thus, we can see that at the edge of the far-field, we already have a maximum relationship for the power received to be

[tex]P_r \approx \frac{P_t}{2}[/tex]

So we cannot have a received power greater than the transmitted power as long as we pay proper attention to the requirements of the Friis equation.

Related to How Does Antenna Gain Influence Signal Power Calculations?

1. What is antenna gain?

Antenna gain is a measure of the increase in signal strength of an antenna in a particular direction compared to a theoretical isotropic antenna, which radiates equally in all directions.

2. How is antenna gain measured?

Antenna gain is typically measured in decibels (dB) and is calculated by comparing the power of the signal received or transmitted by the antenna to the power of a reference antenna, which is usually an isotropic antenna.

3. What factors affect antenna gain?

The physical size and shape of the antenna, the frequency of the signal, and the antenna's orientation and position in relation to the signal source are all factors that can affect antenna gain.

4. How does antenna gain impact signal strength and range?

Higher antenna gain means a stronger and more focused signal in a particular direction, resulting in longer range and better reception. However, it also means a narrower beamwidth, which can make it more difficult to maintain a strong connection if the antenna is not properly aligned with the signal source.

5. Is higher antenna gain always better?

Not necessarily. While higher antenna gain can improve signal strength and range, it also has limitations such as a narrower beamwidth and potential interference from unwanted signals. The best antenna gain for a specific application will depend on various factors and trade-offs must be considered.