How does an object float on water?

• Thread starter Celluhh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Float
In summary, for an object to float on water, it must displace an amount of water equal to its weight or more than that. This is based on Archimedes' principle, which states that the upward buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the displaced water. This is because the pressure of the water pushing up on the object must balance the object's weight in order for it to float. This principle involves an understanding of forces, as the buoyant force and the weight of the object are both forces. Additionally, the buoyant force is proportional to the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, and is equivalent to the weight of the fluid that the object would otherwise occupy. Therefore, for
Celluhh
I know that for something to float on water it has to displace an amount of water equal to its weight or more than that . But why is this so ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Celluhh said:
I know that for something to float on water it has to displace an amount of water equal to its weight or more than that .
The weight of water displaced will equal the weight of the floating object.
But why is this so ?
Are you familiar with Archimedes' principle? The upward buoyant force on an object due to the pressure of the water equals the weight of the displaced water. If it's floating, the net force on it must be zero, so the upward buoyant force must balance the downward weight of the object.

Oh I see. There was one website that said if a light object displaces a large amount of water in relation to its weight , it will float .

Yes I do know what it is but I have not learned about forces yet . Does this mean I have to have a basic understanding of forces to understand Archimedes principle ?

Thank you travis_king!

The magnitude of that force is proportional to the difference in the pressure between the top and the bottom of the column, and is also equivalent to the weight of the fluid that would otherwise occupy the column. For this reason, an object whose density is greater than that of the fluid in which it is submerged tends to sink.

I copied the above from Wikipedia and I understand the first part but not the second part. Why is the force equivalent to the the weight of fluid that would otherwise occupy the column ??

Celluhh said:
There was one website that said if a light object displaces a large amount of water in relation to its weight , it will float .
I don't quite understand that statement. A light object will displace a small volume of water (compared to the volume of the object), but that's all that's needed for it to float.

Yes I do know what it is but I have not learned about forces yet . Does this mean I have to have a basic understanding of forces to understand Archimedes principle ?
You need to know a little bit about forces, since floating and Archimedes' principle involves the force of gravity (weight) and the buoyant force.

Celluhh said:
Why is the force equivalent to the the weight of fluid that would otherwise occupy the column ??
Read this: Buoyancy

Ok so basically the first experiment is trying to tell
Me that as long as two objects have the same volume they will experience the Same amount f pressure and as since there is same amount of pressure it means that the buoyant force up against the water ball is the same as the buoyant force up against the actual ball of the same volume and hence when the same volume ball replaces the water ball it will experience ye same internal pressure but ends up displaces an amount of water which is of the same volume as it is . Did I understand it correctly ?

Oh wait it's not the volume but the weight it seems like I still cannot understand it

Celluhh said:
Ok so basically the first experiment is trying to tell
Me that as long as two objects have the same volume they will experience the Same amount f pressure and as since there is same amount of pressure it means that the buoyant force up against the water ball is the same as the buoyant force up against the actual ball of the same volume and hence when the same volume ball replaces the water ball it will experience ye same internal pressure but ends up displaces an amount of water which is of the same volume as it is . Did I understand it correctly ?
Sounds like you've got it. Let me restate it:

The force of the water on the 'ball' (the buoyant force) is due to the pressure of the water outside the ball and does not depend on what's in the ball.
The first diagram shows that that buoyant force must equal the weight of an equal volume of water (the water ball example).
The second diagram shows that the same upward buoyant force will be exerted on any equal-size 'ball' regardless of what it's made of.

Celluhh said:
I know that for something to float on water it has to displace an amount of water equal to its weight or more than that . But why is this so ?

All posters are saying the same thing in many different ways. So, I'll also give it a try.

(Object's weight in air) - (Object's weight in water) = (Weight of displaced water) --> by Archimedes

For a floating object,

(Object's weight in air) = (Weight of displaced water)

This means (Object's weight in water) must be zero. If the weight is zero, it must be floating.
I once calculated, under some conditions, an object can stand still under water (not falling to the ocean floor). I think submarines use this conditions also.

Related to How does an object float on water?

1. Why do some objects float while others sink?

Objects float or sink based on their density. Density is a measure of how much mass is in a certain volume of space. If an object is less dense than the fluid it is placed in, it will float. If it is more dense, it will sink.

2. Does the shape of an object affect its ability to float?

The shape of an object does not directly affect its ability to float. However, the shape can indirectly affect its density. For example, a hollow object will be less dense than a solid object of the same size, and therefore more likely to float.

3. Why do some objects float in some liquids but sink in others?

Like density, the buoyancy of an object is determined by the fluid it is placed in. Some liquids, like water, have a higher density than others, so objects that are less dense than water may float in one liquid but sink in another.

4. Can objects float in a vacuum?

No, objects cannot float in a vacuum because there is no surrounding fluid to provide buoyancy. In a vacuum, objects will either remain stationary or move in a straight line due to the absence of any external forces.

5. Why do some objects float at the surface of a liquid while others sink to the bottom?

This is due to the principle of buoyancy, which states that the upward force on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. Objects that are more dense than the fluid will sink, while those that are less dense will float at the surface.