How Does an Equilateral Triangle Affect Electric Fields on Its Axis?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an exercise involving three positive charges placed at the corners of an equilateral triangle and computing the electric field on the z-axis. The conversation also touches on the symmetry planes passing through each point on the axis and the value and direction of the electric field at the center of the triangle. The final question asks about the maximum electric field on the z-axis and its unique height above the triangle's center.
various45
Hi,

I'm trying to solve this exercize :

I/3 charges Q, positives, are at the corner of an equilateral triangle of centre O, in (x,O,y) . We want to compute the electric field created by the 3 charges on the axis z, passing by O and perpendicular at (x,O,y), thus computing the electric field E(M) in each M point of (Oz), located at an height z above O. We have OA=OB=OC.

500992triangle.png

II/ 1) Describe the symmetry plane passing by each point M, located on the axis z. Tell the sense of direction of E(M) in each point of z.

As the point M is on axis z above A, I would say (Oz) is the only symmetry plane and the electric field is from A to the low triangle.2) By a similar way, deduce the value of the electric field at the centre O

As the three charges are positives the vectorial sum of the 3 electric fields at point O would give an electric field whose value is O, but how could we deduce it by symmetry ?

3) Why would we have the electric field norm on the axis z created by the three charges reached a maximum at a unique height above O ?

I do not see how to answer this one.

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Various (!?) , welcome to PF :smile: !

As the point M is on axis z above A, I would say (Oz) is the only symmetry plane and the electric field is from A to the low triangle.

Oz is a line, not a plane !

By a similar way, deduce the value of the electric field at the centre O
If you have brought 1) to a good conclusion, this one will be easier. There is one more symmetry plane for O

I do not see how to answer this one (3)
Again, this will be easier once we have 1) and 2).

thanks for your answer,

indeed the only symmetry plane would be (ux,uz) but how could we deduve the sense according to this plane ?

Well, if, with (ux,uz) you mean the x-z plane, I don't agree !
Applying this 'symmetry' would flip the picture upside down and then it isn't the same as the original !

I mean the plane which splits in two the triangle from bottom to top vertically but I do not know how to write it, until now I was doing electric field in 3D with cylindric or spheric so it was also the same planes, here we have a triangle so I would say if we take cylindric coordinate (r; theta, z) the plane (r,z) splits vertically the triangle and it is the same

various45 said:
Hi,

I'm trying to solve this exercize :

I/3 charges Q, positives, are at the corner of an equilateral triangle of centre O, in (x,O,y) . We want to compute the electric field created by the 3 charges on the axis z, passing by O and perpendicular at (x,O,y), thus computing the electric field E(M) in each M point of (Oz), located at an height z above O. We have OA=OB=OC.

500992triangle.png

II/ 1) Describe the symmetry plane passing by each point M, located on the axis z. Tell the sense of direction of E(M) in each point of z.

As the point M is on axis z above A, I would say (Oz) is the only symmetry plane and the electric field is from A to the low triangle.2) By a similar way, deduce the value of the electric field at the centre O

As the three charges are positives the vectorial sum of the 3 electric fields at point O would give an electric field whose value is O, but how could we deduce it by symmetry ?

3) Why would we have the electric field norm on the axis z created by the three charges reached a maximum at a unique height above O ?

I do not see how to answer this one.

Thank you very much
Are you certain that you have a equilateral triangle?

Maybe I'm having a brain cramp, but it doesn't seem to have three sides of equal length.

Related to How Does an Equilateral Triangle Affect Electric Fields on Its Axis?

1. What is an electric field triangle?

The electric field triangle is a visual representation of the relationship between electric field strength, distance, and charge. It is used to calculate the electric field strength at a point due to a given charge or system of charges.

2. How do you calculate the electric field strength using the electric field triangle?

To calculate the electric field strength, you need to determine the distance between the point and the charge, and the magnitude of the charge. Then, using the electric field triangle, you can find the value of the electric field strength at that point by taking the ratio of the magnitude of the charge to the square of the distance.

3. What are the units of measurement for the electric field strength?

The units of measurement for electric field strength are newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).

4. How does the direction of the electric field relate to the electric field triangle?

The direction of the electric field at a point is represented by the direction of the arrow in the electric field triangle. The direction of the arrow points in the direction that a positive charge would experience a force if placed at that point.

5. What is the significance of the electric field triangle in the study of electromagnetism?

The electric field triangle is a fundamental tool in understanding and analyzing electric fields. It helps us visualize and calculate the effects of electric fields on charges and can be used to solve complex problems in electromagnetism.