How does an elevator maintain a constant speed despite changes in load?

• Thread starter walking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the author is attempting to calculate the power required for an escalator to carry 100 people per minute, but has mistakenly used the formula P = Fv instead of the correct formula P = (mass flow rate)gh. The author also assumes that the escalator's speed of 13.3m/min means each person takes one minute to reach the top, when in reality each person rides for 21.5 seconds. The number of people on the escalator at any given time is not necessarily 100, and the force applied by the escalator may vary depending on the number of people.
walking
TsiuR.png

Author's solution seems to assume that "carry 100 people/min" means "takes 100 people up the whole length / min", ie 13.3m/min=0.222m/s. But its lengthwise speed is actually 0.620m/s.

In particular, why is my solution wrong (according to author's solution)? :

I said since 100 people/min then its required "force rate" lengthwise is $$100mg\sin \theta (1min/60s)=755.26=755N/s$$. Now in 1s, it travels (lengthwise) 0.62m. Hence $$P=Fv=468.1=468W$$. But this is wrong according to author's solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you improve the definition of power?

walking said:
Author's solution seems to assume that "carry 100 people/min" means "takes 100 people up the whole length / min", ie 13.3m/min=0.222m/s. But its lengthwise speed is actually 0.620m/s.
The lengthwise speed does not limit the number of people that can reach the top per minute. Just cram them in more tightly together.
walking said:
In particular, why is my solution wrong (according to author's solution)? :

I said since 100 people/min then its required "force rate" lengthwise is $$100mg\sin \theta (1min/60s)=755.26=755N/s$$.
It looks like you've computed ##\theta## somewhere else. Perhaps you arrived at a figure for ##\sin \theta## as ##\frac{8.2}{13.3} = 0.62##. You've multiplied this by the weight of 100 people to get the diagonal force that would need to be applied to keep those people moving up an inclined plane at the calculated angle. And you've divided by 60 to switch from seconds to minutes.

But you are asked for power, not force. So you clearly need to multiply by a distance. And you find a distance to multiply by...
walking said:
Now in 1s, it travels (lengthwise) 0.62m. Hence $$P=Fv=468.1=468W$$. But this is wrong according to author's solution.
You've assumed that there are 100 people on the escalator at any given time. But that is not necessarily correct. And is not, in fact correct. All you are given is that 100 people exit the elevator per minute, not that it takes one minute for them to get from bottom to top.

How much work do you need to do to move a 75 kg person through a vertical height of 8.2m? How much work for 100 of them?
And, if you do this in 60 seconds, what power does this give?

Likes Lnewqban
walking said:
Author's solution seems to assume that "carry 100 people/min" means "takes 100 people up the whole length / min"
Seems right. They would not be happy to be taken only half way.
walking said:
ie [escalator speed is]13.3m/min=0.222m/s
No, that assumes each person takes one minute, i.e. 100 people on it at any instant.
In one minute, the escalator moves 0.62*60=37.2m and delivers 100 people, so they stand 0.372m apart.
Each person rides it for 13.3/0.62=21.5s.

walking said:
I said since 100 people/min then its required "force rate" lengthwise is $$100mg\sin \theta (1min/60s)=755.26=755N/s$$. Now in 1s, it travels (lengthwise) 0.62m. Hence $$P=Fv=468.1=468W$$. But this is wrong according to author's solution.
It is incorrect to use ##P=Fv## in this problem, because you have a mass flow rate (125 Kg/s).
Note that you have multiplied N/s by m/s, which does not make sense.

This type of problem is similar to calculating the power gained by a liquid that is pumped between two different elevations.
##P=(mass~flow~rate)gh##

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone!

So it seems my problem was seeing a speed and immediately thinking P=Fv was the most appropriate formula. Is there any way of making this work? Probably not but I'm not that good so it's still worth asking!

Likes Lnewqban
jbriggs444 said:
The lengthwise speed does not limit the number of people that can reach the top per minute. Just cram them in more tightly together.

It looks like you've computed ##\theta## somewhere else. Perhaps you arrived at a figure for ##\sin \theta## as ##\frac{8.2}{13.3} = 0.62##. You've multiplied this by the weight of 100 people to get the diagonal force that would need to be applied to keep those people moving up an inclined plane at the calculated angle. And you've divided by 60 to switch from seconds to minutes.

But you are asked for power, not force. So you clearly need to multiply by a distance. And you find a distance to multiply by...

You've assumed that there are 100 people on the escalator at any given time. But that is not necessarily correct. And is not, in fact correct. All you are given is that 100 people exit the elevator per minute, not that it takes one minute for them to get from bottom to top.
Dear jbriggs

I think I understand what you're saying. Does this mean that the escelator doesn't apply the same force throughout but changes it based on how many people there are? But that doesn't sound right to me for some reason. (I am of course not saying that I am correct here!) I think my reasoning at the time was as follows:

An elevator applies the same force all of the time. Since it needs to be able to lift 100 people per minute, that means it needs to be apply to apply a corresponding force throughout. So the force it needs at any given time is at least 100(75)gsin(theta) where theta is the angle of the slope.

walking said:
An elevator applies the same force all of the time.
Not so. If that were the case you would notice it accelerate when less than fully loaded, and the fewer people the greater the acceleration.
They are engineered to run at constant speed, up to maximum load.

Related to How does an elevator maintain a constant speed despite changes in load?

1. How does an escalator work?

An escalator works by using a motor to turn a chain loop, which is connected to a series of steps. The steps are designed to move in a continuous loop, allowing people to step onto the escalator and be carried to the next level.

2. Is it safe to ride an escalator?

Yes, escalators are generally considered safe to ride. However, it is important to follow safety guidelines such as holding onto the handrails and watching your step while getting on and off the escalator.

3. Can an escalator go backwards?

No, an escalator is designed to only move in one direction. The direction is determined by the motor and cannot be changed without altering the mechanics of the escalator.

4. How much weight can an escalator hold?

The weight limit for an escalator varies depending on the make and model, but on average, they can hold up to 7,500 pounds. However, it is recommended to not exceed the weight limit for safety reasons.

5. Why is it important to stand on the right side of the escalator?

Standing on the right side of the escalator allows space for people to walk up or down on the left side. This helps to keep the flow of foot traffic moving smoothly and prevents congestion on the escalator.