How Does Adiabatic Compression Affect Air Temperature and Volume?

In summary, adiabatic compression is a process in which air is compressed without any heat exchange with the surroundings. This results in an increase in air pressure, which in turn causes an increase in temperature. As the air molecules are compressed into a smaller space, their kinetic energy increases and so does the overall temperature of the air. Additionally, adiabatic compression also causes a decrease in air volume, as the same number of air molecules are now occupying a smaller space. This process is commonly seen in weather systems, such as thunderstorms, where rising air is compressed and warms up, leading to cloud formation and precipitation.
Akaramos45
. Consider a pump that is required to compress air in a factory. The cylinder in the pump has an inner

diameter of 2.00 cm and length 60.0 cm. Air is drawn into the pump at atmospheric pressure and

18 degrees celcius and the pump adiabatically compresses the air to a pressure of 17 atmospheres.(a) Calculate the volume and temperature of the compressed air.

(b) What is the increase in internal energy of the gas during the compression?

(c) Suppose that the air in the pump is compressed once and the compressed air and the steel of

the cylinder on the pump the come into thermal equilibrium. If the cylinder is 1.00 mm thick,

what will be the increase in temperature of the steel after one compression?

How should i go about solving this question?
I don't fully understand thermodynamics.
I would love it if you just gave me a worked example. I find it easier to understand since my English is not very good.

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Hello and welcome!

Please re-post this question in our homework forum and use the template there (automatically inserted).
This thread is meant as an opportunity to introduce yourself to the community only.

Thread closed.

Likes Wrichik Basu