How Does Adding Moles of B Affect the Chemical Potential of A?

In summary, chemical potential is a thermodynamic quantity that describes the energy required to add or remove a particle from a system while keeping the temperature, volume, and number of particles constant. It is related to changes in a system by the equation: Δμ = ΔH - TΔS, and can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. A change in chemical potential can affect equilibrium by shifting the balance between forward and reverse reactions, and it can be negative when the system is unstable and there is a net release of energy.
goulio
Consider a solution of particles of type A and B with the following Gibbs potential
[tex]
G(P,T,n_A,n_B)=n_A g_A(P,T) + n_B g_B(P,T)+ (1/2)\lambda_{AA}n_A^2/n + (1/2)\lambda_{BB}n_B^2/n + \lambda_{AB}n_A n_B/n + n_A RT \ln(x_A) + n_B RT \ln(x_B)
[/tex]
where the [itex]n_i[/itex]'s are the number of moles with [itex]x_i=n_i/n[/itex] and [itex]g_i[/itex] are the molar Gibbs potential of each type of particle [itex]i=A,B[/itex]. Also [itex]n_A + n_B = n[/itex] and the [itex]\lambda_{ij}[/itex] are positive constants.
a) If we add [itex]\Delta n_B[/itex] moles of B keeping pressure and temperature constant, calculate the change in in the chemical potential of A.
The chemical potential of A is
[tex]
\mu_A = \left ( \frac{\partial G}{\partial n_A} \right )_{P,T,n_A} = g_A + \lambda_{AA} n_A/n + \lambda_{AB}n_B/n + RT(1 + \ln(x_A))
[/tex]
so changing [itex]n_B[/itex] to [itex]n_B+\Delta n_B[/itex] only changes [itex]\mu_A[/itex] by an amount [itex]\lambda_{AB}\Delta n_B/n[/itex].
Is this right or I'm getting the whole thing wrong?

Edited:

I found the trick [itex]n[/itex] as actually a depence in [itex]n_A[/itex] so you need to take account of this when you differentiate [itex]G[/itex] with respect to [itex]n_A[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, you are correct. The change in the chemical potential of A when adding \Delta n_B moles of B is \lambda_{AB}\Delta n_B/n. This is because as you correctly pointed out, the number of moles n is dependent on n_A and n_B, so when differentiating G with respect to n_A, you have to take into account the change in n due to the change in n_B. This is why the change in the chemical potential of A is not simply \lambda_{AB}\Delta n_B, but rather \lambda_{AB}\Delta n_B/n.

Related to How Does Adding Moles of B Affect the Chemical Potential of A?

1. What is chemical potential?

Chemical potential is a thermodynamic quantity that describes the energy required to add or remove a particle from a system while keeping the temperature, volume, and number of particles constant.

2. How is chemical potential related to changes in a system?

Chemical potential is related to changes in a system by the equation: Δμ = ΔH - TΔS, where Δμ is the change in chemical potential, ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature, and ΔS is the change in entropy.

3. What causes a change in chemical potential?

A change in chemical potential can be caused by a variety of factors, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or the presence of other substances in the system. It can also be affected by the concentration of particles in the system and the type of interactions between them.

4. How does a change in chemical potential affect equilibrium?

A change in chemical potential can affect equilibrium by shifting the balance between the forward and reverse reactions in a chemical system. When the chemical potential is changing, the system will try to reach a new equilibrium state in order to minimize the change in chemical potential.

5. Can chemical potential be negative?

Yes, chemical potential can be negative. This usually occurs when the system is unstable and there is a net release of energy when a particle is added to the system. In this case, the chemical potential represents the amount of energy that would be released if the particle were added to the system.