Diatomic Gas, Grand Canonical Ensemble

In summary, using the grand canonical distribution, the ideal gas law ##P = nkT## can be proven by finding a relation between P, V, and T using the grand potential. Additionally, the chemical potential of a diatomic classical ideal gas in terms of P and T can be found by taking into account the contributions of translational and rotational energy levels.
unscientific

Homework Statement

Part (a): Using grand canonical distribution, show ideal gas law ##P = nkT## holds, where ##n = \frac{\overline{N}}{V}##.

Part (b): Find chemical potential of diatomic classical ideal gas in terms of ##P## and ##T##. The rotational levels are excited, but not the vibrational. Mass of each molecule is ##m##, separation is ##r##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(a)

[tex]Z = \sum_{N=0}^{\infty} e^{\beta \mu N} Z_N = \sum_{N=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{N!} \left( \frac{Ve^{\beta \mu}}{\lambda_{th}^3}\right)[/tex]

Where ##Z_N = \frac{1}{N!} (\frac{V}{\lambda_{th}^3})^N## and ##\beta = \frac{1}{kT}##.

[tex] Z = exp \left( \frac{Ve^{\beta \mu}}{\lambda_{th}^3}\right)[/tex]

Starting with Gibb's Entropy, where probability ##P_i = \frac{e^{-\beta(E_i - \mu N_i)}}{Z}##

[tex]S = -k \sum_i P_i ln(P_i) [/tex]
[tex] S = -k \sum_i P_i \left[ -\beta (E_i - \mu N_i) - ln Z\right] [/tex]
[tex] S = \frac{U}{T} - \frac{1}{T}\mu N + k ln Z[/tex]

Grand Potential is defined as ##\Phi_G = -kT ln (Z)##.

[tex]\Phi_G = U - TS - \mu N[/tex]
[tex]d\Phi_G = -SdT - pdV - Nd\mu[/tex]

To prove the ideal gas law, we must find a relation between P, V and T. We do this using grand potential.

Starting:
[tex]P = -\left( \frac{\partial \Phi_G}{\partial V} \right)_{T,\mu}[/tex]
[tex]N = -\left( \frac{\partial \Phi_G}{\partial \mu} \right)_{V,T}[/tex]

Then by differentiating, I showed that ##PV = NkT##.

Part(b)

Attempt #1: Using grand partition function

We must first find the rotational partition function. Energies are given by ##E_a = \frac{\hbar ^2}{2I}j(j+1)##.

[tex]Z_{rot} = \sum (2j+1) e^{-\beta(E_j -\mu N)} [/tex]

Converting sum into integral:

[tex] \int_0^{\infty} (2j+1) e^{-j(j+1)\frac{\theta_{rot}}{T}} dj \int_0^{\infty} e^{-\beta \mu N} dN[/tex]
[tex] Z_{rot} = \frac{2I}{\hbar \mu} (kT)^2[/tex]

Together:
[tex]Z = Z_{rot}Z_{trans} = \frac{2I}{\hbar \mu} (\frac{1}{\beta})^2 exp \left( \frac{Ve^{\beta \mu}}{\lambda_{th}^3}\right) [/tex]

[tex] ln Z = ln(\frac{2I}{\hbar \mu}) - 2ln (\frac{1}{\beta}) + Z_1 e^{\beta \mu}[/tex]Gibbs Potential ##\Phi_G = -kt ln (Z) = -\frac{1}{\beta} ln (Z)##

[tex]\Phi_G = \frac{1}{\beta} ln \frac{2I}{\hbar \mu} - \frac{1}{\beta} ln(\frac{1}{\beta}) + \frac{1}{\beta} Z_1 e^{\beta \mu}[/tex]

Using ##N = -(\frac{\partial \Phi_G}{\partial \mu})_{V,T}##:

[tex]N = -\frac{1}{\beta \mu} + Z_1 e^{\beta \mu}[/tex]Attempt #2: Using single-particle partition function

[tex]Z = Z_{rot}Z_{trans}[/tex]

Translational one-particle Partition Function:
[tex]Z_{trans} = \int e^{-\beta E} g_{(\vec{k})} d^3\vec{k} = \frac{V}{\lambda_{th}^3}[/tex]

Rotational one-particle Partition Function:
[tex]Z_{rot} = \sum (2j+1)e^{-j(j+1)\frac{\theta_{rot}}{T}}[/tex]

where ##\theta_{rot} = \frac{\hbar^2}{2Ik}##

Converting sum into integral:

[tex]Z_{rot} = \frac{T}{\theta_{rot}}[/tex]

Together, the total partition function is:

[tex]Z = Z_{rot}Z_{trans} = \frac{V}{\lambda_{th}^3}\frac{T}{\theta_{rot}}[/tex]

To find ##\mu = -\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial N}\right)_{T,V}##, how do I find ##F## from partition function ##Z##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bumpp

part (b) anyone?

Part (b), Attempt #1: If I assume that the rotational partition function is simply ##Z_{rot} = \sum (2j+1)e^{-j(j+1)\frac{\theta_{rot}}{T}}##, the chemical expression comes out much nicer.

bump part (b) anyone?

bump part (b) anyone?

bumpp

bumpp part (b) anyone?

bumppp part (b) anyone?

bump part (b)??

bumpp part (b)?

bump part (b)?

I think I have figured it out. If total energy is ##U_{tot} = U_{trans} + U_{rot}##, the chemical potential can be accounted for either in ##U_{trans}## or ##U_{rot}## but not both.

Bearing this in mind, the partition function is ##Z = Z_{trans}Z_{rot}## where the ##e^{\beta \mu N}## only appears once in the ##Z_{trans}## and not in the ##Z_{rot}##. Hence the final equation should be less a ##-\frac{1}{\beta \mu}## term:

[tex]N = Z_1 e^{\beta \mu}[/tex]

So this gives chemical potential as:

[tex]\mu = kT ln\left(\frac{N}{Z_1}\right)[/tex]

Which is the same expression when derived using ##\mu = \left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial N}\right)_{T,V}##

Related to Diatomic Gas, Grand Canonical Ensemble

1. What is a diatomic gas?

A diatomic gas is a type of gas that consists of two atoms of the same element bonded together. Examples of diatomic gases include oxygen (O2), nitrogen (N2), and hydrogen (H2).

2. What is the Grand Canonical Ensemble?

The Grand Canonical Ensemble is a statistical mechanics method used to describe the behavior of a system of particles in a thermodynamic equilibrium, where the number of particles, the volume, and the energy are allowed to fluctuate.

3. How is the Grand Canonical Ensemble different from the Canonical Ensemble?

The Grand Canonical Ensemble allows for the exchange of particles with a reservoir, while the Canonical Ensemble does not. This means that in the Grand Canonical Ensemble, the number of particles in the system is not fixed, while in the Canonical Ensemble it is.

4. What are the assumptions made in the Grand Canonical Ensemble?

The Grand Canonical Ensemble assumes that the system is in thermodynamic equilibrium, and that the particles are non-interacting. It also assumes that the particles can exchange energy and volume with the reservoir, and that the reservoir has a constant temperature and chemical potential.

5. What are some applications of the Grand Canonical Ensemble in studying diatomic gases?

The Grand Canonical Ensemble can be used to study the behavior of diatomic gases in various conditions, such as in different temperatures, pressures, and volumes. It can also be used to calculate thermodynamic properties of diatomic gases, such as their heat capacity and entropy.