How Does a Microprocessor Use Digital Logic to Execute Commands?

• Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Works
In summary, the conversation discusses the fundamental building blocks of computers and how commands in a computer program are broken down into combinations of digital logic configurations. The microprocessor then activates the appropriate transistors to perform the necessary logical operation. Additionally, memory cells are mentioned as another crucial component in computers, which can be made from logic gates or specialized cells. The specific complement of logic gates is not as important as the ability to perform all necessary operations.
jaydnul
Tell me if I'm on the right track. Any command in a computer program when you break it down is really just a combination of different digital logic configurations (AND, OR, NAND, etc.). Then the microprocessor activates some of its transistors that are in the right configuration to perform that logical operation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That will do as a start.

It's possible to quibble with "the microprocessor activates some of its transistors that are in the right configuration". Perhaps better to say that the "microprocessor configures logic gates to perform that logical operation".

In many processor designs groups of bits (called fields) in the instruction word directly control the logical operation. For example suppose the microprocessor has 8 registers and you want to perform an operation on registers A and B and put the answer in C. Then 3 bits of the instruction might select Register A, another 3 bits select register B and another 3 the destination register C. A further 3+ bits might select the operation (AND, OR etc). When the instruction arrives in the microprocessor it might be held in an instruction register and the outputs of the register may literally be used to select which registers are connected to the arithmetic and logic unit and what logical function that performs.

I too was puzzled by this until I went on a computer course to Siemens Hell as part of my employment and we studied the R30 computers in detail, these were not micro processors but were built with separate plug in boards one of which was a 128 bit wide memory board that held the instruction set and I suddenly realized how the things worked.

Jd0g33 said:
Tell me if I'm on the right track. Any command in a computer program when you break it down is really just a combination of different digital logic configurations (AND, OR, NAND, etc.). Then the microprocessor activates some of its transistors that are in the right configuration to perform that logical operation?

Be sure to include memory cells in your list of fundamental building blocks of computers. You can make memory cells out of logic gates (static memory cells), but more often they are made out of specialized cells (dynamic RAM cells). :smile:

Jd0g33 said:
The specific complement of logic gates is irrelevant, as long as they can perform all of the requisite operations. Your combination of AND, OR, and NAND could, for example, be reduced to just NAND alone since combinations of NAND gates can perform OR and AND, so it would just take more transistors total.

Related to How Does a Microprocessor Use Digital Logic to Execute Commands?

1. How does a microprocessor function?

A microprocessor is a small electronic device that serves as the central processing unit (CPU) of a computer. It is responsible for executing instructions and carrying out calculations, making it the brain of a computer.

2. What are the components of a microprocessor?

A typical microprocessor consists of three main components: the control unit, the arithmetic logic unit (ALU), and the registers. The control unit fetches instructions from memory, the ALU performs calculations and logical operations, and the registers store temporary data.

3. How does a microprocessor execute instructions?

A microprocessor executes instructions in a series of steps known as the fetch-decode-execute cycle. The control unit fetches an instruction from memory, decodes it into a series of commands, and then executes those commands using the ALU and registers. This process is repeated for each instruction until the program is complete.

4. What is the clock speed of a microprocessor?

The clock speed of a microprocessor refers to how many instructions it can process in a given amount of time, typically measured in gigahertz (GHz). A higher clock speed means the processor can execute instructions faster, resulting in better performance.

5. How has microprocessor technology evolved over time?

Microprocessors have evolved significantly since their creation in the 1970s. They have become smaller, faster, and more powerful, with the ability to handle increasingly complex tasks. Advancements in technology have also led to the development of multi-core processors, which can handle multiple instructions simultaneously, further improving performance.