How Does a Compass React to a Current-Carrying Wire?

In summary, a current-carrying wire oriented North-South on a table causes a compass to deflect 10 degrees to the West. At a location on the table top 2.9 cm to the East of the wire, the magnetic field due to the current is calculated to be 3.08532e-7 tesla. The horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field at this location is 2e-5 tesla. The calculation of the combined magnetic field is incorrect and further calculations are needed.
demonhunter19

Homework Statement

A long current-carrying wire, oriented North-South, lies on a table (it is connected to batteries which are not shown). A compass lies on top of the wire, with the compass needle about 3 mm above the wire. With the current running, the compass deflects 10 degrees to the West. At this location, the horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field is about 2e-5 tesla.

What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at location A, on the table top, a distance 2.9 cm to the East of the wire, due only to the current in the wire?

Homework Equations

B(wire)=10^-7(2*I)/r
Bnet = Bearth + Bwire

The Attempt at a Solution

I know Bearth = 2e-5, and taking into account that Bnet would be the deflection, I obtained 2.0308e-5 for Bnet, and hence, Bwire would equal to 3.08532e-7. I don't really know where to go from here.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you've calculated Bwire at r=3mm, so what does that make I? what does that make bwire at r=2.9cm?

Edit- you might also want to show us your calculation of Bnet, because I don't think it is correct.

I would like to clarify a few points in your solution attempt. First, the equation B(wire)=10^-7(2*I)/r is the equation for the magnetic field at a point on the axis of a long current-carrying wire, not at a point off to the side like in this scenario. So, we cannot use this equation directly in this case.

To find the magnetic field at point A, we need to use the formula B = μ0*I/(2πr), where μ0 is the permeability of free space (equal to 4π*10^-7 T*m/A) and r is the distance from the wire to the point A. We can also use the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field, which will be perpendicular to both the current direction and the direction from the wire to the point A.

So, at point A, the magnetic field due to the current in the wire will be:

Bwire = (4π*10^-7 T*m/A)*(2 A)/(2π*0.029 m) = 2.7586*10^-5 T

Note that this is the magnitude of the magnetic field, and the direction will be perpendicular to the current and to the direction from the wire to point A, which would be pointing into the page.

We can now use the equation Bnet = Bearth + Bwire to find the total magnetic field at point A. As you correctly stated, Bearth is equal to 2e-5 T, so:

Bnet = 2e-5 T + 2.7586*10^-5 T = 4.7586*10^-5 T

Therefore, the magnitude of the magnetic field at point A, due to both the Earth's magnetic field and the current in the wire, would be 4.7586*10^-5 T. We can also use the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field, which would be pointing towards the West, since the Earth's magnetic field is already pointing towards the West and the magnetic field due to the current is pointing into the page.

I hope this clarifies the solution for you. As a scientist, it is important to always double check our equations and make sure we are using the correct ones for a specific scenario. It is also important to consider the direction of the magnetic field and use the right-hand rule to determine it.

Related to How Does a Compass React to a Current-Carrying Wire?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or a moving electric charge where magnetic forces can be detected. It is represented by lines of force that extend from one pole of the magnet to the other.

2. How are magnetic fields created by electric currents?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current and is also affected by the shape of the wire and the distance from the wire.

3. What is the right-hand rule for determining the direction of a magnetic field?

The right-hand rule is a method for determining the direction of a magnetic field around a current-carrying wire. Point your thumb in the direction of the current flow and curl your fingers around the wire. The direction your fingers are pointing represents the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the current determines the direction of the magnetic field. If the current is flowing in the same direction as the magnetic field lines, it will strengthen the field. If the current is flowing in the opposite direction, it will weaken the field.

5. How can magnetic fields of currents be used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields of currents have many practical applications in everyday life. They are used in motors and generators, which are essential components in many electronic devices. They are also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines for medical diagnostics, and in compasses for navigation.