How does a collapsing core become a black hole?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of black holes in the evolution of red supergiants and how they fit into the timeline of the star's collapse. The main question is whether a supernova would occur when a black hole is formed, and the experts clarify that an outgoing shock wave is still possible even without the formation of a neutron star surface. They also explain that the shock wave is caused by the gravitational energy of the core collapse, not by bouncing off the neutron star surface. The conversation ends with a simple question about the process of a collapsing core becoming a black hole.
durand
Hi,

I'm trying to understand how exactly a black hole fits into the evolution of red supergiants, especially in terms of a timeline. I understand that when the core of the star collapses, it reaches a point where the neutron pressure overcomes it's gravitational force and this deceleration (and bounce back) of matter causes the shock wave that creates a type II supernova.
However, does this only apply to cores less than the chandrasekhar limit which form neutron stars or also to those above that limit which form black holes? I can't see how a supernova could be caused when there isn't enough neutron pressure to halt the core collapse and therefore cause the shock wave. So my question is basically, would there be a supernova when (just before) a black hole is created?

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here but I can't seem to find what it is...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You can still have an outgoing shock wave even if you don't form a neutron star surface.
The outer envelope of the star expands to form the supernova driven by the energy given off by the collapsing core - it doesn't really matter what the core ends up becoming.

Oh, I read (on wikipedia and some books) that a shock wave causes the supernova, and that this shock wave is caused by the bounce back of matter. I guess you would get a lot of energy converted from gravitational potential as the core collapses?

Yes it's not a shockwave bouncing off the neutron star surface, its an outgoing shockwave driven by the gravitational energy of the core collapse

mgb_phys said:
Yes it's not a shockwave bouncing off the neutron star surface, its an outgoing shockwave driven by the gravitational energy of the core collapse

Ok, that makes sense. Another simple question. Would a collapsing core become a neutron star first, or would it become a black hole in one fluid movement? Thanks for your help!

Related to How does a collapsing core become a black hole?

1. How is a black hole formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses in on itself. As the star's core collapses, it becomes extremely dense and its gravity becomes so strong that it traps even light, creating a black hole.

2. What is the event horizon of a black hole?

The event horizon is the boundary of a black hole, where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape. It marks the point of no return for any object that gets too close to the black hole.

3. Can black holes die or disappear?

No, black holes do not die or disappear. They continue to exist and grow in size by absorbing matter and merging with other black holes. However, they can lose mass and energy through a process called Hawking radiation, but this is a very slow process.

4. What happens to objects that enter a black hole?

Objects that enter a black hole are stretched and compressed as they approach the singularity, the point of infinite density at the center of the black hole. This process is known as spaghettification. Once an object crosses the event horizon, it is impossible for it to escape the black hole's gravitational pull.

5. Can black holes be observed or detected?

Black holes cannot be directly observed or detected because they do not emit any light. However, their presence can be inferred by observing the effects of their strong gravitational pull on surrounding matter, such as the orbit of nearby stars or the distortion of light from distant objects. Scientists also use instruments such as X-ray telescopes to detect the radiation emitted by matter as it falls into a black hole.