How do you use a chi square table?

In summary, the question is asking for the probability of a random variable X being less than 5.23, given its moment generating function (1-2t)^(-6). To find this probability, one can use a chi-squared table or express it as a definite integral. If using a chi-squared table, it is important to read the instructions carefully as different tables may tabulate the function differently. If not using a table, the integral must be written down first.
Artusartos
For example, if the moment generating function is (1-2t)^(-6), then the degree of freedom r=3, right? The question is asking me to find P(X< 5.23)...I want to use the chi-square table, but I'm not sure how...

This is what the question states:

If [itex](1-2t)^{-6}[/itex], t<1/2, is the mgf of the random variabel X, find [itex]P(X< 5.23)[/itex].

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Artusartos said:
For example, if the moment generating function is (1-2t)^(-6), then the degree of freedom r=3, right? The question is asking me to find P(X< 5.23)...I want to use the chi-square table, but I'm not sure how...This is what the question states:

If [itex](1-2t)^{-6}[/itex], t<1/2, is the mgf of the random variabel X, find [itex]P(X< 5.23)[/itex].Thanks in advance.

Do you have access to a chi-squared table? If you do, just read the user's manual! The point is that sometimes there are different ways of tabulating the same function; some tables might tabulate the left tail, others the right tail, etc. You need to read the instructions that come with the table, or at least look at the table captions.

If you do not have access to a chi-squared table, you can always express the answer in terms of a definite integral and then evaluate it is some way. There are many possibilities for this, but first you need to have the integral written down.

RGV

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Do you have access to a chi-squared table? If you do, just read the user's manual! The point is that sometimes there are different ways of tabulating the same function; some tables might tabulate the left tail, others the right tail, etc. You need to read the instructions that come with the table, or at least look at the table captions.

If you do not have access to a chi-squared table, you can always express the answer in terms of a definite integral and then evaluate it is some way. There are many possibilities for this, but first you need to have the integral written down.

RGV

Thanks a lot...I just asked my professor about this, and I think I understand it now :)

Related to How do you use a chi square table?

1. How do I find the critical value in a chi square table?

The critical value in a chi square table is found by first determining the degrees of freedom for your data set. Then, locate the row that corresponds to your degrees of freedom and find the column that matches your desired significance level (usually 0.05 or 0.01). The value at the intersection of the row and column is the critical value.

2. What is the purpose of a chi square table?

The chi square table is used to determine the likelihood that the observed data is significantly different from the expected data. It is commonly used in statistical analysis to test the independence of two variables.

3. How do I interpret the values in a chi square table?

The values in a chi square table represent the probability of obtaining a certain chi square statistic. The lower the probability, the more likely it is that the observed data is significantly different from the expected data. The critical value is used to determine if the chi square statistic is significant.

4. When should I use a chi square table?

A chi square table should be used when analyzing categorical data, such as survey responses or outcomes of an experiment. It is used to determine if there is a significant relationship between two categorical variables.

5. Can I use a chi square table for non-parametric data?

Yes, a chi square table can be used for non-parametric data as it does not rely on any specific assumptions about the distribution of the data. However, it is important to note that the sample size should be large enough for accurate results.