How Do You Solve Trig Identity Manipulations?

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with a trigonometry problem and trying to manipulate equations using different trig identities. They attempted to use an identity but it did not work, and they are seeking help to understand how to solve the problem.
Andrusko
I'm following through a solution to a problem I couldn't do and there's a bit of trig manipulation I can't get my head around:

2cos^{2}x - sin^{2}x = 2 - 3sin^{2}x

I tried using this identity to get it to work:

cos^{2}x - sin^{2}x = 1 - 2sin^{2}x

but alas, I could not. And after that I have no more ideas.

If someone could point out how this transforms that'd be great. Evil, evil trig...

Physics news on Phys.org
What about just cos2x = 1 - sin2x?

Evil, evil trig...
Certainly hear you:)

How about cos2x =0.5(1+cos2x) and sin2x =0.5(1-cos2x)

Last edited:
Andrusko said:
I'm following through a solution to a problem I couldn't do and there's a bit of trig manipulation I can't get my head around:

2cos^{2}x - sin^{2}x = 2 - 3sin^{2}x

I tried using this identity to get it to work:

cos^{2}x - sin^{2}x = 1 - 2sin^{2}x

but alas, I could not. And after that I have no more ideas.

If someone could point out how this transforms that'd be great. Evil, evil trig...

Doesn't that work though?

2(1-sin^2(x)) - sin^2(x) = 2 -2 sin^2(x) - sin^2(x) = 2 - 3sin^2(x)

Related to How Do You Solve Trig Identity Manipulations?

What is trigonometric manipulation?

Trigonometric manipulation is the process of using algebraic techniques to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions. This can involve rewriting expressions in different forms, using trigonometric identities, and applying basic algebra rules.

Why is trigonometric manipulation important?

Trigonometric manipulation is important because it allows us to solve complex trigonometric equations and simplify expressions in order to solve real-world problems. It is also a fundamental skill for understanding more advanced concepts in mathematics and physics.

What are some common trigonometric identities used in manipulation?

Some common trigonometric identities used in manipulation include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. These identities can be used to simplify expressions and solve equations.

What are some tips for solving trigonometric manipulation problems?

Some tips for solving trigonometric manipulation problems include: identifying and using appropriate identities, being familiar with basic algebraic rules, substituting known values for variables, and checking your work for accuracy.

What are some real-world applications of trigonometric manipulation?

Trigonometric manipulation has many real-world applications, including in engineering, physics, and navigation. For example, it can be used to solve problems involving angles of elevation and depression, finding distances and heights of objects, and analyzing wave patterns in physics.