How Do You Solve This Complex Integration Problem?

In summary, the conversation was about the benefits of meditation and how it can improve overall well-being. The speakers discussed the physical, mental, and emotional benefits of meditation, including reducing stress and anxiety, increasing focus and clarity, and promoting inner peace and happiness. They also shared their personal experiences with meditation and how it has positively impacted their lives. Overall, the conversation emphasized the importance of incorporating meditation into daily routines for a healthier and happier lifestyle.
Shannabel

Homework Statement

find the integral from 0 to 3 of (5x^2+30)/(x^4+13x^2+36)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it may be an integration by parts question, so I tried that first, but the book says that I should be using substitution.
So I tried using u=x^2:
du=2xdx
x=u^(1/2)

(5u+30)du/(u^2+13u+36)(2u^(1/2))
so now I have
(5u+30)du/(2u^(5/2)+26u^(3/2)+72u^(1/2))

but i have no better idea how to integrate that than i did the original equation. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem would probably be best done by partial fraction decomposition first, then substitutions.

I agree with Bohrok.

Bohrok said:
This problem would probably be best done by partial fraction decomposition first, then substitutions.

do you mean using something like
(Ax+B)/(x^2+4)+(Cx+D)/(x^2+9)=5x^2+30?

Not quite.
It would be

(Ax+B)/(x^2+4) + (Cx+D)/(x^2+9) = (5x^2+30)/[(x^2+4)(x^2+9)]

The goal is to solve for A, B, C, and D so that this equation is identically true.

Mark44 said:
Not quite.
It would be

(Ax+B)/(x^2+4) + (Cx+D)/(x^2+9) = (5x^2+30)/[(x^2+4)(x^2+9)]

The goal is to solve for A, B, C, and D so that this equation is identically true.

okay, so i solved and got
A=0
B=3
C=0
D=2

so then i had
3/(x^2+4)+2/(x^2+9)

which i could integrate to get
3ln(x^2+4)+2ln(x^2+9)

and i could continue, but my possible answers all involve arctan so i think I'm on the wrong track here...?

Shannabel said:
A=0
B=3
C=0
D=2

so then i had
3/(x^2+4)+2/(x^2+9)

3ln(x^2+4)+2ln(x^2+9)

and i could continue, but my possible answers all involve arctan so i think I'm on the wrong track here...?
I didn't check your values for A, B, etc.

Your integrals are incorrect. You should not be getting log expressions, but you should be getting arctan expressions.

Also, check your work for the constants.
3/(x^2 + 4) + 2/(x^2 + 9) = (5x^2 + 35)/[(x^2 + 4)(x^2 + 9)] [itex]\neq[/itex] (5x^2 + 30)/[(x^2 + 4)(x^2 + 9)]

Mark44 said:
I didn't check your values for A, B, etc.

Your integrals are incorrect. You should not be getting log expressions, but you should be getting arctan expressions.

how do i get arctan expressions? because the derivative of tan is 1/(a^2+x^2), and i have 2 and 3 rather than 1 as my numerators?

Mark44 said:
Also, check your work for the constants.
3/(x^2 + 4) + 2/(x^2 + 9) = (5x^2 + 35)/[(x^2 + 4)(x^2 + 9)] [itex]\neq[/itex] (5x^2 + 30)/[(x^2 + 4)(x^2 + 9)]

sorry..
3/(x^2+9)+2/(x^2+4) ,right?

Shannabel said:
how do i get arctan expressions? because the derivative of tan is 1/(a^2+x^2), and i have 2 and 3 rather than 1 as my numerators?

No, d/dx(tan(x)) = sec2(x).

d/dx(tan-1(x)) = 1/(x2 + 1) - that must be what you're thinking about.

Also, d/dx(tan-1(x/a)) = (1/a)/((x/a)2 + 1)
This implies that ∫(1/a)/((x/a)2 + 1) dx = tan-1(x/a) + C

Mark44 said:
Also, d/dx(tan-1(x/a)) = (1/a)/((x/a)2 + 1)
This implies that ∫(1/a)/((x/a)2 + 1) dx = tan-1(x/a) + C

i'm confused...

If d/dx (x2) = 2x, then ∫2x dx = x2 + C by integrating both sides. Mark just did the same thing with tan-1(x/a) where a is a constant.

Bohrok said:
If d/dx (x2) = 2x, then ∫2x dx = x2 + C by integrating both sides. Mark just did the same thing with tan-1(x/a) where a is a constant.

okay i think that makes sense... but how can i use that to solve the problem?

That'll come in later; first check over your work for the constants in the numerators of the partial fractions. The numbers are almost correct.

Bohrok said:
That'll come in later; first check over your work for the constants in the numerators of the partial fractions. The numbers are almost correct.

i had
(ax+b)(x^2+4)+(cx+d)(x^2+9)=(5x^2+30)
ax^3+bx^2+4Ax+4B+Cx^3+9Cx+Dx^2+9D=5X62+30

A+C=0 and 4A+9C=0 therefore A and C both equal 0
B+D=5 and 4B+9D=30, so 5D=10 and D=2 so B=3
and i have
3/(x^2+9)+2(x^2+4)

:( can't figure out what's wrong!

Earlier, you wrote
Shannabel said:
3/(x^2+4)+2/(x^2+9)
which wasn't correct. Now, you have
Shannabel said:
3/(x^2+9)+2(x^2+4)
which is correct. You swapped the coefficients earlier.

Shannabel said:
i had
(ax+b)(x^2+4)+(cx+d)(x^2+9)=(5x^2+30)
ax^3+bx^2+4Ax+4B+Cx^3+9Cx+Dx^2+9D=5X62+30

A+C=0 and 4A+9C=0 therefore A and C both equal 0
B+D=5 and 4B+9D=30, so 5D=10 and D=2 so B=3
and i have
3/(x^2+9)+2(x^2+4)
This is correct. You can easily check by verifying that 3/(x^2+9)+2/(x^2+4) = (5x^2 + 30)/[(x^2+9)(x^2+4)]
Shannabel said:
:( can't figure out what's wrong!

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
This is correct. You can easily check by verifying that 3/(x^2+9)+2(x^2+4) = (5x^2 + 30)/[(x^2+9)(x^2+4)]

okay, so from here i should integrate and end up with arctan functions... how do i do this?

[tex]\int \frac{a~dx}{x^2 + a^2} = tan^{-1}(x/a) + C[/tex]

This formula is essentially the same as the one I gave in an earlier post.

A mistake you made earlier was thinking that the following was true:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x^2 + a^2} = ln(x^2 + a^2) + C[/tex]

More generally, this also is not true:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{f(x)} = ln(f(x)) + C[/tex]

This should be: 3/(x^2+9)+2/(x^2+4).

To integrate the first term:

[tex]\int\frac{3\,dx}{x^2+9}=\int\frac{3\,dx}{9((x/3)^2+1)}[/tex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\int\frac{dx}{3((x/3)^2+1)}[/itex]​
Let u=x/3 → du=(1/3)dx

The integral becomes: [itex]\displaystyle \int\frac{du}{u^2+1}=\tan^{-1}(u) + C[/itex]

Got it! Thanks :)

Shannabel said:
A=0
B=3
C=0
D=2

so then i had
3/(x^2+4)+2/(x^2+9)

3ln(x^2+4)+2ln(x^2+9)

SammyS said:
This should be: 3/(x^2+9)+2/(x^2+4).
Good eye - I missed that.

Related to How Do You Solve This Complex Integration Problem?

1. What is an integration exam question?

An integration exam question is a test question that requires the integration of different concepts, theories, or ideas in order to arrive at a comprehensive answer. It is often used to assess the understanding and application of knowledge in a specific subject area.

2. How do I prepare for an integration exam question?

To prepare for an integration exam question, it is important to review and understand the key concepts and theories in the subject area. You should also practice integrating these concepts by answering practice questions and creating connections between different ideas.

3. What are some strategies for answering integration exam questions?

Some strategies for answering integration exam questions include breaking down the question into its component parts, making connections between different concepts, and using examples or evidence to support your answer. It is also important to carefully analyze the question and clearly explain your thought process.

4. How much time should I allocate for an integration exam question?

The amount of time you should allocate for an integration exam question will depend on the complexity of the question and your own pace. It is recommended to read the question carefully and plan out your answer before starting to write. It is also important to leave enough time to review and revise your answer if needed.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when answering integration exam questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when answering integration exam questions include not fully understanding the question, not providing enough supporting evidence or examples, and not making connections between different concepts. It is also important to avoid simply restating information without analyzing or synthesizing it.