How Do You Solve the Limit of (e^x * tan^-1 y) / y as (x, y) Approaches (0,0)?

• Thread starter schattenjaeger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hey Limit
In summary, the limit as (x,y)->(0,0) exists, but I can't find a path where the denominator isn't 0 or cancels out that goes through the point 0,0, so I can't, you know, solve it.The Gauss aproximation for tan^-1 for small angles is e^0=1.
schattenjaeger
Assuming it exists(and upon checking the answer is 1, but I'll be damned if I can get it)

(e^x * tan^-1 y) / y

the limit as (x,y)->(0,0)

I can't find a path where the denominator isn't 0 or cancels out that goes through the point 0,0, so I can't, you know, solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the Gauss aproximation for tan^-1 for small angles? e^0=1. Not the most exact way, but it should work.

Well, I'm in Calculus 3 and have no clue what that approxamation is nor do I think I'm expected to for this problem, thanks though

See next post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's a function of two variables, and this problem is in the chapter before partial derivatives, so ignoring the fact that I'm not technically sposed to know how to apply l'hopital's rule to it, I don't even know if you can on a multivariable thing like that

schattenjaeger said:
Well, it's a function of two variables, and this problem is in the chapter before partial derivatives, so ignoring the fact that I'm not technically sposed to know how to apply l'hopital's rule to it, I don't even know if you can on a multivariable thing like that

Alright that puts the question in a little perspective. Still, you can simplify the limit to one variable by just applying x = 0 to it.

Edit: Applying tan^-1() to each side of the first approximation Berislav gave would work also I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gauss aproximation:

siny=y, for very small y --->sin^-1y=y

cosy=sqrt(1-y^2)

tany=y/(sqrt(1-y^2))

The y's will cancel when you combine the above eqaution with your own.

Last edited:
Then I have to take the derivative of tan^-1y, which definitely isn't 1(like it would have to be for l'hopital's rule to give me 1)

As for the guass approximation, I don't think I should use it here because it doesn't specify only small values of y, and I certainly haven't officially learned it yet

For small values of y, sin y = y, cos y = 1, and tan y = y. :-p

schattenjaeger said:
Then I have to take the derivative of tan^-1y, which definitely isn't 1(like it would have to be for l'hopital's rule to give me 1)

How's it not? [tex]\frac{d(tan^{-1}(y))}{dy} = \frac{1}{1+y^2}[/tex] at y = 0.. Divide this by the derivative of the denominator of your original limit.

For small values of y, sin y = y, cos y = 1, and tan y = y.

Right. I only approximated sin y=y, though.

Oh right

ok, thanks!

Related to How Do You Solve the Limit of (e^x * tan^-1 y) / y as (x, y) Approaches (0,0)?

1. Why can't I solve this limit?

There could be several reasons why you are having difficulty solving a limit. It could be due to the complexity of the function, the limits approaching infinity or negative infinity, or the application of certain limit rules. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and try different approaches to find a solution.

2. What are some common strategies for solving limits?

Some common strategies for solving limits include factoring, simplifying the expression, using algebraic manipulation, applying limit rules, and using special trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to graph the function and visualize the behavior around the limit point.

3. Can I use L'Hôpital's rule to solve this limit?

L'Hôpital's rule can only be applied to certain types of limits, such as indeterminate forms like 0/0 or ∞/∞. It cannot be used for limits with other types of indeterminate forms, such as 1^∞ or ∞-∞. It is important to check the conditions for using L'Hôpital's rule before applying it to a limit.

4. What should I do if I am still unable to solve the limit?

If you have tried various strategies and are still unable to solve the limit, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or a tutor for additional insights. You can also try using online resources or textbooks for practice problems and step-by-step solutions.

5. Can I approximate the limit using a calculator?

While a calculator can provide numerical approximations for limits, it is important to note that it cannot prove the exact value of a limit. It is also important to check the calculator's settings to make sure it is using appropriate precision and not rounding the answer. It is always best to solve limits algebraically whenever possible.