How Do You Solve the Integral of 1/cos(theta)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the most efficient method for finding the integral of 1/cos theta, which can also be written as ∫ sec theta. The method involves multiplying sec(theta) by (sec(theta) + tan(theta)) / (sec(theta) + tan(theta)) and then expanding the numerator. This method is recommended over other methods and can be applied to similar integrals involving odd powers of cosine. The conversation also briefly mentions using the substitution method for solving integrals.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

∫ 1/cos theta
before it was ∫ sec theta but i know that sec theta is equal to 1/cos theta

would i write it as 1/2 ∫ cos theta

and then 1/2 sin theta

Physics news on Phys.org
try multiplying sec(theta) by

[tex]\frac{sec\theta +tan\theta}{sec\theta +tan\theta}[/tex]

then try a substitution.

where did you get sec theta + tan theta/ sec theta+ tan theta from

is this what i do (sec theta) (sec theta+ tan theta)/ Sec theta( sec theta + tan theta)

afcwestwarrior said:
is this what i do (sec theta) (sec theta+ tan theta)/ Sec theta( sec theta + tan theta)

You should get

[tex]\frac{sec\theta(sec\theta +tan\theta)}{sec\theta + tan\theta}[/tex]

The expand out the numerator.

It's an easier way to find the integral faster rather than another method.

Ok thank you.

By the way, [itex]\int dx/cos(x)[/itex] involves an odd power of cosine so the "standard" method for that situation will work. Multiply both numerator and denominator by cos(x) to get
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{cos x}= \int \frac{cos x dx}{cos^2 x}= int \frac{cos x dx}{1- sin^2 x}[/tex]

Now let u= sin x so du= cos x dx and 1- sin2 x= 1- u2

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{cos x}= \int \frac{du}{1- u^2}= \int \frac{du}{(1- u)(1+ u)}[/itex]

and you can use "partial fractions" to integrate that.

Related to How Do You Solve the Integral of 1/cos(theta)?

1. How do I know which integration technique to use?

The best way to determine which integration technique to use is to identify the form of the integral. This can include looking at the expression inside the integral, the limits of integration, and any other patterns that may be present. Some common techniques include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on an integral?

If you get stuck on an integral, try breaking it down into smaller parts or using a different technique. You can also try looking up similar integrals or seeking help from a tutor or professor. It's important to not get discouraged and keep practicing.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

While some calculators do have integral-solving capabilities, it is important to understand the steps and techniques involved in solving an integral. Relying solely on a calculator can hinder your understanding and ability to solve integrals on your own.

4. How do I check if my answer is correct?

You can check if your answer is correct by using differentiation. Simply take the derivative of your solution and see if it matches the original integrand. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both the original function and the integrated function to visually compare them.

5. Is there a shortcut or trick to solving integrals?

While there are some techniques and patterns that can make solving integrals easier, there is no shortcut or trick that will work for all integrals. It's important to understand the concepts and techniques involved in integration and to practice regularly in order to improve your skills.