How do you solve the equation (x+y-1)dx+(y-x-5)dy=0?

• Thread starter skyturnred
  • Start date
In summary: After this I rearranged to pmwiki\frac{du}{u}=\frac{1-g}{1+g^{2}}dgwhich I solved using integration techniques. My biggest issue was in realizing that \frac{u+v}{u-v}=\frac{1+\frac{v}{u}}{1-\frac{v}{u}}\)
skyturnred

Homework Statement

Solve (x+y-1)dx+(y-x-5)dy=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x=u+h
y=v+k

Therefore

h=-2 and k=3

Therefore

(u+v)du+(v-u)dv=0

[itex]\frac{dv}{du}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{u+v}{u-v}[/itex]

This is where I'm stuck. I can't solve the equation above. I have a feeling I need to rearrange so that I have a function of [itex]\frac{v}{u}[/itex] on the right hand side, but I am unable to rearrange it to attain this.

Any suggestions?

Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
The purpose of the initial substitution was to find an appropriate h,k such that the constant terms in the eqn in the OP vanished and hence arrive at precisely the form you now have. Define another variable ##f = \frac{v}{u}## after rearranging the RHS of your eqn.

CAF123 said:
The purpose of the initial substitution was to find an appropriate h,k such that the constant terms in the eqn in the OP vanished and hence arrive at precisely the form you now have. Define another variable ##f = \frac{v}{u}## after rearranging the RHS of your eqn.

OK, I have tried this already. I still get stuck however.

g=[itex]\frac{v}{u}[/itex]

v=gu

[itex]\frac{dv}{du}[/itex]=u[itex]\frac{dg}{du}[/itex]+g

so when you sub this into [itex]\frac{dv}{du}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{u+v}{u-v}[/itex] you get

u[itex]\frac{dg}{du}[/itex]+g=[itex]\frac{\frac{v}{g}+gu}{\frac{v}{g}-gu}[/itex]

And I'm still stuck. This seemed even more complicated than before the substitution.

skyturnred said:
OK, I have tried this already. I still get stuck however.

g=[itex]\frac{v}{u}[/itex]

v=gu

[itex]\frac{dv}{du}[/itex]=u[itex]\frac{dg}{du}[/itex]+g

so when you sub this into [itex]\frac{dv}{du}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{u+v}{u-v}[/itex] you get

u[itex]\frac{dg}{du}[/itex]+g=[itex]\frac{\frac{v}{g}+gu}{\frac{v}{g}-gu}[/itex]

And I'm still stuck. This seemed even more complicated than before the substitution.

You have the eqn $$\frac{dv}{du} = \frac{u+v}{u-v} = \frac{1 + \frac{v}{u}}{1 - \frac{v}{u}}$$ You correctly computed dv/du to obtain ##u\frac{dg}{du} + g## but the RHS of the eqn that you wrote above is incorrect. You want a RHS to be entirely in terms of g and u so you can apply separation of variables.

CAF123 said:
You have the eqn $$\frac{dv}{du} = \frac{u+v}{u-v} = \frac{1 + \frac{v}{u}}{1 - \frac{v}{u}}$$ You correctly computed dv/du to obtain ##u\frac{dg}{du} + g## but the RHS of the eqn that you wrote above is incorrect. You want a RHS to be entirely in terms of g and u so you can apply separation of variables.

Thank-you. I will be able to solve it from here on.

My biggest issue was in realizing that [itex]\frac{u+v}{u-v}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1+\frac{v}{u}}{1-\frac{v}{u}}[/itex]

After this I rearranged to

[itex]\frac{du}{u}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1-g}{1+g^{2}}[/itex]dg

I should be able to solve this using techniques of integration.

Thank-you once again

Related to How do you solve the equation (x+y-1)dx+(y-x-5)dy=0?

1. What is the purpose of including the differential equations (x+y-1)dx and (y-x-5)dy in this equation?

The differential equations (x+y-1)dx and (y-x-5)dy are included in this equation to represent the relationship between the variables x and y. They show how changes in one variable affect the other and allow for the prediction of future values of x and y.

2. Can you explain the meaning of dx and dy in this equation?

The symbols dx and dy represent infinitesimal changes in the variables x and y, respectively. They are used to indicate that the equation is a differential equation, meaning it involves the rates of change of the variables.

3. How does this equation relate to real-world phenomena?

This equation can be used to model various real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electric circuits. It describes the relationship between two variables and how they change over time.

4. What is the significance of the constant term in this equation?

The constant term in this equation, represented by -1 and -5, affects the overall behavior of the system. It can determine if the system is stable or unstable and can also represent initial conditions or external factors influencing the variables.

5. What methods can be used to solve this differential equation?

There are several methods for solving this type of differential equation, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and using specific formulas for certain types of equations. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific form and complexity of the equation.