How Do You Solve Integration Problems Involving Partial Fractions?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an integral and determining the constants using a linear system of equations. One person suggests using the elimination method while another suggests plugging in values to find the constants. They eventually find the correct values for the constants and solve the integral.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I got stuck on this integrate
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty}\frac{2x-4}{(x^2+1)(2x+1)}\)
and my progress
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{2x-4}{(x^2+1)(2x+1)} = \frac{ax+b}{x^2+1}+ \frac{c}{2x+1}\)
then I get these equation that I can't solve
and I get these equation..
\(\displaystyle 2a+c=0\) that is for \(\displaystyle x^2\)
\(\displaystyle 2b+a=2\) that is for \(\displaystyle x\)
\(\displaystyle b+c=-4\) that is for \(\displaystyle x^0\)
What have I done wrong?

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: partial fractions

The only thing I see wrong (besides omitting the differential from your original integral) is the line:

Petrus said:
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{2x-4}{(x^2+1)(2x+1)} = \frac{ax+b}{x^2+1}+ \frac{c}{2x+1}\)

You should simply write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2x-4}{(x^2+1)(2x+1)} = \frac{ax+b}{x^2+1}+ \frac{c}{2x+1}\)

You have correctly determined the resulting linear system of equations. Can you choose and use a method with which to solve it?

MarkFL said:
The only thing I see wrong (besides omitting the differential from your original integral) is the line:
You should simply write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2x-4}{(x^2+1)(2x+1)} = \frac{ax+b}{x^2+1}+ \frac{c}{2x+1}\)

You have correctly determined the resulting linear system of equations. Can you choose and use a method with which to solve it?
Thanks for pointing that!:) I have actually no clue how to solve it, I don't know what method I should use.

Regards,

My choice would be elimination. Try subtracting the third equation from the first, and this will eliminate $c$, then combine this result with the second equation and you have a 2X2 system in $a$ and $b$. Can you state this system?

MarkFL said:
My choice would be elimination. Try subtracting the third equation from the first, and this will eliminate $c$, then combine this result with the second equation and you have a 2X2 system in $a$ and $b$. Can you state this system?
I made it like a matrice and solved it :) Thanks for the help and sorry for not posting the progress but now I get \(\displaystyle b=0, c=-4, a=2\) and that works fine when I put those value in the equation!:)

Regards,

Any valid method you choose is fine. Your solution is correct and now integration is a breeze. (Rock)

\(\displaystyle 2x-4 = (ax+b)(2x+1)+c(x^2+1)\)

Try the following method to find the constants

First Let $x = -{1 \over 2}$ then you can easily find $c $

Second Let $x =0$ you can find $b$ since you are given $c$

Finally find $a$ given $b$ and $c$ .

MarkFL said:
You should simply write:

Here's a fancy little trick (more commonly used in complex analysis; similar to Zaid's) to get through these sorts of problems. Rather than solving a system of equations, one can simply "plug in some numbers" to get to the answer.

Let's begin at the point where we know that

First of all, multiplying both sides by \(\displaystyle 2x+1\), we have

\(\displaystyle \frac{2x-4}{(x^2+1)} = (2x+1)\frac{ax+b}{x^2+1}+ c\)

Now, having multiplied by our choice of term in the denominator, we plug in a value of x that makes this term zero. \(\displaystyle 2x+1=0\) when \(\displaystyle x=-\frac{1}{2}\), so plug in that value. The first term on the right becomes zero after multiplying, leaving you with:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2(-\frac{1}{2})-4}{((-\frac{1}{2})^2+1)} = c\)

simply plug into find the answer (c = 4).
We can do something similar with \(\displaystyle x^2+1\). First of all, multiply both sides to get

\(\displaystyle \frac{2x-4}{2x+1} = ax+b+ (x^2+1)\frac{c}{2x+1}\)

Now, we plug in a value of x that makes this term become zero. In this case, we note that \(\displaystyle x^2+1=0\) when \(\displaystyle x=\pm i\). Choosing \(\displaystyle x=i\) and noting that the second term on the right multiplies to zero, this becomes

\(\displaystyle \frac{2i-4}{2i+1} = b + a i\)

Which, after some complex-number algebra, gives you a real and imaginary part corresponding to b and a. That is, the above evaluates to \(\displaystyle 0 + 2i\), telling you that a = 2 and b = 0.

This method is particularly useful when you only want to find a particular term without solving for the rest. Note that this method does not work for irreducible terms in the denominator taken to powers greater than 1; that requires a more subtle approach.

Related to How Do You Solve Integration Problems Involving Partial Fractions?

1. What is the purpose of integrating partial fractions?

The purpose of integrating partial fractions is to break down a complex rational function into simpler fractions that can be easily integrated using basic integration techniques. This allows for the evaluation of integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve.

2. How do you identify partial fractions in an integral?

Partial fractions can be identified in an integral by looking for a rational function in the form of a polynomial divided by another polynomial. The denominator polynomial can then be factored into linear or quadratic terms, which can be expressed as separate fractions.

3. What are the steps to integrate partial fractions?

The steps to integrate partial fractions are as follows: 1) Factor the denominator polynomial into linear or quadratic terms, 2) Write each term as a separate fraction, 3) Determine the constants for each fraction by setting up and solving a system of equations, 4) Integrate each fraction using basic integration techniques, and 5) Combine the integrated fractions to get the final solution.

4. Are there any special cases in integrating partial fractions?

Yes, there are two special cases in integrating partial fractions: 1) Repeated linear factors, where the denominator polynomial has a repeated linear term, and 2) Irreducible quadratic factors, where the denominator polynomial cannot be factored into linear terms. These cases require additional steps in the integration process.

5. When is integrating partial fractions most useful?

Integrating partial fractions is most useful when solving integrals with complex rational functions, especially when the degree of the numerator is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator. It is also helpful in evaluating improper integrals and solving differential equations.