How Do You Solve Equations with Variables V, U, and T?

• Thread starter g9WfI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unknowns
In summary: As the rock moves upwards, there is a point where it reaches zero velocity before it starts to move downwards. If you hit the kite at that point, it will be moving downwards and there is no way it will be lifted.In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a ball being thrown vertically upwards at a certain initial velocity. The problem asks for the time it takes for the ball to reach a certain height. The conversation goes through different attempts at solving the problem and arrives at the conclusion that there are two possible solutions, 0.53 seconds or 1.9 seconds. The conversation also briefly mentions the possibility of a kite being hit by a jagged rock and explains why there are two solutions to the problem.
g9WfI
Homework Statement
A ball is thrown vertically upwards at 12m/s to dislodge a kite stuck in a tree 5m above the thrower. Calculate the time before the ball reaches the kite. Explain why this question has two solutions.
Relevant Equations
suvat
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so I'm not so sure if I've formatted this correctly :p

I don't really know where to start with the question above as there are three unknowns (v, u, and t).

Answer is 0.53s or 1.9s - I'm so grateful for any help.

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:
Welcome to PF! Now, as you are new, you may not be familiar with the homework guidelines, but according to those you will need to provide your own attempt at a solution before we can help you. ("I don't know" is not sufficient as an attempt.)

What makes you say that ##u## (the initial velocity) is unknown? It is given right there in the problem statement:
g9WfI said:
A ball is thrown vertically upwards at 12m/s

So sorry, I meant acceleration, final velocity and t are unknown.

On attempt, I assumed v = 0
Then used: s = ((u + v)/2) t
5 = 12/2 t
t = 0.83 s

g9WfI said:
Why would you assume that?

You might start by asking yourself why there's two solutions. If the answer is "dunno", try again : this time thinking a kite which is just tissue-paper, and a very jagged, very fast upwards-moving rock. What happens ?

Last edited:
g9WfI said:
So sorry, I meant acceleration, final velocity and t are unknown.

Then used: s = ((u + v)/2) t
5 = 12/2 t
t = 0.83 s
There are five SUVAT equations, each omitting one of those five variables.
Work out which three variables you are given, which you are trying to find, and use the equation that involves those four.

(There are more complicated situations where you need an equation for each of different parts of a motion, and one of the unknowns appears in both equations.)

g9WfI said:
acceleration, final velocity and t are unknown.
Presumably this all happens on the Earth.

Thank you all so much for your help. I've been able to work out the answer.

hmmm27 said:
You might start by asking yourself why there's two solutions. If the answer is "dunno", try again : this time thinking a kite which is just tissue-paper, and a very jagged, very fast upwards-moving rock. What happens ?
It could be what you say or it could be that the kite needs to be hit when the rock is on its way down rather than on its way up. If the delivered impulse is up, there is a good chance that the kite will be lifted up and fall back down to the same spot. If the rock is to rip the kite, it will do so regardless of its direction of motion because the speed is the same at that height.

kuruman said:
It could be what you say or it could be that the kite needs to be hit when the rock is on its way down rather than on its way up. If the delivered impulse is up, there is a good chance that the kite will be lifted up and fall back down to the same spot. If the rock is to rip the kite, it will do so regardless of its direction of motion because the speed is the same at that height.

The "jagged rock" was (hopefully) a mild hint of why there's two solutions. Since the problem explicitly requires the student to explain why there's two solutions, simply giving the answer didn't seem appropriate.

g9WfI said:
Explain why this question has two solutions.
g9WfI said:
Answer is 0.53s or 1.9s
I haven't run the calc's myself, so can't really verify the book answer.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
I would hope there was less chance of damaging the kite if you hit it on the way up.

Related to How Do You Solve Equations with Variables V, U, and T?

What is the purpose of solving for unknowns?

The purpose of solving for unknowns is to find the missing value in a mathematical equation. This allows us to better understand and analyze a problem or situation.

What are the most common unknowns that need to be solved for?

The most common unknowns that need to be solved for are velocity (V), initial velocity (U), and time (T). These variables are often used in equations involving motion and can help us understand the speed and direction of an object.

What are some strategies for solving for unknowns?

Some strategies for solving for unknowns include using algebraic manipulation, substitution, and the use of formulas or equations specific to the problem. It is also important to clearly define and label the unknowns in the problem.

How can I check if my solution for an unknown is correct?

You can check if your solution for an unknown is correct by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator or online tool to graph the equation and see if your solution falls on the graph.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for unknowns?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for unknowns include forgetting to distribute negative signs, mixing up positive and negative signs, and making calculation errors. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.