How Do You Solve a Wave Equation Using Separation of Variables?

In summary: This transforms the problem into a Bessel equation, and solutions can be found using the method of Frobenius. This will give us eigenvalues for \lambda, which we can then use to find the general solution for X(x).
Precursor
Homework Statement

2nrq1x2.png
The attempt at a solution

I'm using the method of separation of variables by first defining the solution as [itex]u(x,t) =X(x)T(t)[/itex]

Putting this back into the PDE I get: [itex]T''X = x^{2}X''T + xX'T[/itex]

which is simplified to [tex]\frac{T''}{T} = \frac{x^{2}X'' + xX'}{X} = -\lambda^{2}[/tex]

The spatial problem is then: [itex]x^{2}X'' + xX' = -X\lambda^{2}[/itex]

Is this correct so far? How do I continue?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. You proceed, of course, by solving that equation, together with the boundary conditions X(1)= 0, X(e)= 0.

(Those boundary conditions follow from u(t, 1)= T(t)X(1)= 0 and u(t, e)= T(t)X(e)= 0. If T(t) is not identically 0, which would not satisfy the initial conditions, then X(1)= X(e)= 0.)

(An obvious solution is the trivial X(x)= 0. But then you could not satisfy the initial conditions. [itex]\lambda[/itex] must be such that the equation has non-trivial solutions- i.e. eigenvalues.)

Precursor said:
Homework Statement

2nrq1x2.png

The attempt at a solution

I'm using the method of separation of variables by first defining the solution as [itex]u(x,t) =X(x)T(t)[/itex]

Putting this back into the PDE I get: [itex]T''X = x^{2}X''T + xX'T[/itex]

which is simplified to [tex]\frac{T''}{T} = \frac{x^{2}X'' + xX'}{X} = -\lambda^{2}[/tex]

The spatial problem is then: [itex]x^{2}X'' + xX' = -X\lambda^{2}[/itex]

Is this correct so far? How do I continue?

Looking at the boundary conditions, the substitution [itex]X(x) = Z(\log (x))[/itex] looks helpful.

Related to How Do You Solve a Wave Equation Using Separation of Variables?

1. What is a wave equation?

A wave equation is a mathematical representation of how waves propagate through a medium. It describes the relationship between the wave's properties, such as amplitude and frequency, and the medium's properties, such as density and elasticity.

2. How do you solve a wave equation?

To solve a wave equation, you need to use mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier analysis, or numerical methods like finite difference or finite element methods. These methods allow you to find the solution for a given set of initial conditions and boundary conditions.

3. What are the applications of solving a wave equation?

Solving a wave equation has various applications in different fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to study the propagation of electromagnetic and acoustic waves, analyze the behavior of structures and fluids, and solve problems in quantum mechanics and signal processing.

4. What are some challenges in solving a wave equation?

Solving a wave equation can be challenging due to the complexity of the equations involved and the need for advanced mathematical techniques. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution depends on the accuracy of the initial and boundary conditions, which can be difficult to measure in real-world scenarios.

5. Are there any real-world examples of solving a wave equation?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of solving a wave equation. For instance, seismologists use wave equations to study earthquakes, engineers use them to design buildings and bridges to withstand seismic waves, and astronomers use them to understand the behavior of light and other electromagnetic waves in space.