How Do You Solve a Venn Diagram Problem Involving Set Operations?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the values of a, b, and c in a system of equations involving economics and history students. The solution is found to be a=21, b=11, and c=17. They also discuss finding the probability of one student not studying economics and then cubing the result, and the probability of at least one student being in the economics class when 3 students are randomly chosen. The final answer is found to be $\frac{988}{1331}$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
IB24
(a) $E\cup H = 88-39=49$ and since $32+28=60$ then $b=60-49= E\cap H = 11$
so $a=32-11=21$ and $c=28-11=17$

hope this ok before (b) and (c)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I get the same results as you. I wrote:

\(\displaystyle a+b=32\)

\(\displaystyle b+c=28\)

\(\displaystyle a+b+c=49\)

and solved the system.

(b)(I) $\frac{11}{88}=\frac{1}{8}$
(b)(ii) $\frac{56}{88}=\frac{7}{11}$

i) Correct.

ii) Incorrect. Given that he studies economics means the denominator is $a+b=32$. If he does not study history, then the numerator is $a=21$.

c)

i) Find the probability that one student does not study economics and then cube the result
ii) Note that this is mutually independent from part i).

eddybob123 said:
c)
1(i) Find the probability that one student does not study economics and then cube the result ii) Note that this is mutually independent from part i).
(i) $\displaystyle(\frac{56}{88})^3=\frac{343}{1331}$

karush said:
(i) $\displaystyle(\frac{56}{88})^3=\frac{343}{1331}$
(Clapping)

Did you do part ii)?

eddybob123 said:
(Clapping)

Did you do part ii)?

(C)(ii) in that the probability of just one student to take economics is $\displaystyle\frac{32}{88}$ i would presume that since $3$ students are randomly picked that $3x$ this would be the probability for at least one of these students to be in the econ class which would be $\displaystyle\frac{96}{88}$ which is more than a $100\%$

I was trying to do this with a cell phone yesterday and it took forever...but now on PC

Last edited:
karush said:
(C)(ii) in that the probability of just one student to take economics is $\displaystyle\frac{32}{88}$ i would presume that since $3$ students are randomly picked that $3x$ this would be the probability for at least one of these students to be in the econ class which would be $\displaystyle\frac{96}{88}$ which is more than a $100\%$

I was trying to do this with a cell phone yesterday and it took forever...but now on PC
i) and ii) are mutually independent and together represents the whole sample space. You don't need to do calculations to part ii) separately. Just take the result from i) and subtract it from 1.

eddybob123 said:
i) and ii) are mutually independent and together represents the whole sample space. You don't need to do calculations to part ii) separately. Just take the result from i) and subtract it from 1.

$\frac{988}{1331}$

Related to How Do You Solve a Venn Diagram Problem Involving Set Operations?

1. What is a Venn diagram?

A Venn diagram is a graphical way of representing the relationships between different sets of data. It consists of overlapping circles or other shapes that visually show how the sets are related to each other and which elements are shared between them.

2. How do you create a Venn diagram?

To create a Venn diagram, you will need to first identify the sets of data that you want to compare. Then, draw circles or other shapes to represent each set, with the overlapping areas representing the elements that are shared between the sets. Finally, label each section of the diagram with the appropriate data.

3. What are Venn diagrams used for?

Venn diagrams are commonly used in mathematics, statistics, and other fields to compare and contrast different data sets. They can be used to identify commonalities and differences between two or more groups of data, to visualize logical relationships between concepts, and to solve problems involving set theory.

4. What is the principle behind Venn diagrams?

The principle behind Venn diagrams is that the overlapping areas represent the elements that are shared between the sets. The size of each circle or shape represents the number or proportion of elements in each set, and the placement of the shapes in relation to each other shows how the sets are related to each other.

5. Can Venn diagrams be used for more than two sets of data?

Yes, Venn diagrams can be used for any number of sets of data. Each additional set would be represented by an additional circle or shape, with the overlapping areas showing the elements that are shared between all of the sets. However, as the number of sets increases, the complexity of the diagram also increases, making it more difficult to interpret and analyze.