How Do You Solve a Physics Problem Involving Multiple Blocks and Tensions?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving blocks A, B, and C connected by ropes with negligible mass. Both A and B have a weight of 25.0 N and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.35. Block C moves at a constant velocity and the conversation asks for free body diagrams, the tension in the rope connecting A and B, the weight of block C, and the acceleration of C if the rope connecting A and B is cut. Equations of motion are used to solve the problem.
raychelle93

Homework Statement

"Blocks A, B, and C are placed as in the figure and connected by ropes of neligible mass. Both A and B weigh 25.0 N each, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the surface is 0.35. Block C descends with constant velocity. a) Draw separate free body diagrams shwoing the forces acting on A and B. b)Find the tension in the rope connecting blocks A and B. c) What is the weight of block C? d) If the rope connecting A and B were cut, what would be the acceleration of C?"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten as far as trying to find "A" :b)
Let ' T1 ' & ' T2 ' be the tensions in the rope connecting blocks AB and BC respct.

Apply ; Newton's 2nd Law
Writing the equation of motion for mB
T1 - mBg Sin 36.9 0 - mk mBg Cos 36.9 0 - T2 = mB a -----------(i)
Writing the equation of motion for mA

T2 - mk mA g = mA a ----------------------------(ii)
Writing the equation of motion for mC

mC g - T1 = mC a ----------------------------(ii)

Add equ(i); equ (ii) & equ(iii) ; we have
to calculate the value of a & put it in equation (i) & (ii) respt, to get the value of T1 & T 2
>>Can't find a though :( Help! :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi raychelle93, welcome to PF.
Your second equation for mass A is wrong. Check it.

I would first commend the student for their attempt at solving the problem and using Newton's Laws to find the solution. I would then provide some guidance and additional information to help them find the value of "a" and continue with their solution.

Firstly, I would suggest that the student draw the free body diagrams for blocks A and B as requested in part a) of the problem. This will help them visualize all the forces acting on each block and make it easier to set up the equations of motion.

To find the value of "a", the student can use the fact that block C is descending with constant velocity. This means that the net force on block C must be zero, according to Newton's First Law. Therefore, the weight of block C must be equal in magnitude to the tension in the rope connecting blocks A and B. This information can be used in the equation for block C to solve for "a".

Once the value of "a" is found, the student can use it in equations (i) and (ii) to solve for the values of T1 and T2, as requested in part b) of the problem.

For part c), the weight of block C can be found by using its mass and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

For part d), the student can consider the forces acting on block C after the rope connecting blocks A and B is cut. The only force acting on block C will be its weight, which will cause it to accelerate downwards with an acceleration equal to g (9.8 m/s^2).

Overall, I would encourage the student to practice setting up equations of motion and using Newton's Laws to solve problems like this one. It is a fundamental skill in the field of science and will serve them well in their future studies.

Related to How Do You Solve a Physics Problem Involving Multiple Blocks and Tensions?

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's Laws apply to blocks?

Newton's Laws apply to blocks in the same way as they apply to any other object. The first law states that a block will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by a force, which can be seen when a block is sitting on a surface or sliding down a ramp. The second law applies when a force is applied to a block, causing it to accelerate or decelerate depending on the direction of the force. The third law can be observed when a block collides with another object, causing both objects to exert equal and opposite forces on each other.

3. What is the relationship between blocks and friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object. When blocks are placed on a surface, the force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the block, making it harder for the block to move. This force of friction is directly related to the weight and surface area of the block, as well as the type of surface it is on.

4. Can Newton's Laws be applied to non-uniform objects?

Yes, Newton's Laws can be applied to non-uniform objects. While these laws were initially developed for point masses, they can be applied to any object by considering the object as a collection of smaller, infinitesimal masses. This allows for the accurate prediction of the motion of non-uniform objects, such as blocks with varying shapes or densities.

5. How do blocks demonstrate inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. Blocks demonstrate inertia when they remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity unless an external force is applied. This is due to the first law of motion, which states that objects will maintain their state of motion unless acted upon by a force.