Two blocks on a plane connected with a Rod

In summary, the common acceleration and tension of the rod is 0 if m1 is 4 kg and m2 is 2 kg such that the 4kg block is the upper block.
Navin

Homework Statement

Two blocks m1 and m2 are connected by a weightless rod are on a inclined plane of ∅=37° and μ =0.25 .What is the common acceleration and Tension of rod if m1 is 4 kg and m2 is 2 kg such that the 4kg block is the upper block.
OPTIONS

A =4m/2 T=0
B =2m/2 T=5N
C =
10m/2 T=10N
D = 15m/2 T = 9N

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at m1

T + m1gsinø - friction1 =ma
T +m1gsinø -μm1gcosø =m1a...

Looking at m2
m2gsinø - T - μm2gcosø =m2a...[II]Adding I and II

i got a =5m/s2 which is WRONG. :(
[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
" Adding I and II " seems to cover a lot of maths! So I don't know what you did there.

But, how about trying the problem without the rod first? What is the acceleration of each block then?

Edit: (Gallileo might have been able to help you with this problem.)

Merlin3189 said:
" Adding I and II " seems to cover a lot of maths! So I don't know what you did there.

But, how about trying the problem without the rod first? What is the acceleration of each block then?

Hold on gimme a min i'll just do that

Ps - Gallileo as in the actual gallileo or a user called Ga...eo ? Cuz the actual one...is...well...asleep.And i can't seem to wake him up !

Merlin3189 said:

Wonderful !

UR A GENIUS !
I got accelaration is 4 m/s^2 for both block ...and if i look at the option in the question A =4m/2 T=0 it makes sense as tension in the rod should be Zero because they both mobing with same accelaration hence there is no need for tension to appear.

But...why didnt i get it previosly.

Ill try it again with the rod in question

A
Navin said:
Wonderful !

UR A GENIUS !
I got accelaration is 4 m/s^2 for both block ...and if i look at the option in the question A =4m/2 T=0 it makes sense as tension in the rod should be Zero because they both mobing with same accelaration hence there is no need for tension to appear.

But...why didnt i get it previosly.
Ill try it again with the rod in question

OH...MY...GOD
I realized my error which i did Thrice.

Apparantly m1 + m2 = 2m1

Oh my god how can i be so stoopid !

Thank you so much Merlin.
Thou Truly art as wise as the legends doth proclaim !

Thanks. It's the dead one! He decided that objects fell with the same acceleration whatever their mass and supposedly dropped two cannon balls off the tower at Pisa to prove it. By extension, two blocks sliding down an incline should have the same acceleration, if all other factors like friction are the same.
So I just picked the answer with 0 tension and then tried to get the acceleration to come to 4 m/s^2. (by making g=10 m/s^2)

T
Merlin3189 said:
Thanks. It's the dead one! He decided that objects fell with the same acceleration whatever their mass and supposedly dropped two cannon balls off the tower at Pisa to prove it. By extension, two blocks sliding down an incline should have the same acceleration, if all other factors like friction are the same.
So I just picked the answer with 0 tension and then tried to get the acceleration to come to 4 m/s^2. (by making g=10 m/s^2)
The bodies of The Wise have long turned to dust
But their wisdom rise from their ashes
Like a phoenix.

Related to Two blocks on a plane connected with a Rod

What is the concept of "Two blocks on a plane connected with a Rod"?

The concept of "Two blocks on a plane connected with a Rod" is an idealized system in physics where two blocks are connected to each other by a rigid rod on a frictionless surface.

What is the purpose of studying this system?

The purpose of studying this system is to understand the principles of mechanics and how forces, motion, and energy interact in a simple system.

What are the factors that affect the motion of the blocks in this system?

The motion of the blocks in this system is affected by the mass of the blocks, the length and mass of the rod, and the force applied on the blocks.

What is the relationship between the forces applied on the blocks and their resulting motion?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In this system, the forces applied on the blocks will determine their acceleration and subsequent motion.

How does the angle of the rod affect the motion of the blocks in this system?

The angle of the rod does not affect the motion of the blocks in this system, as long as the rod remains rigid and the forces applied are parallel to the surface of the plane.