How Do You Solve a Difference Equation Using Z-Transforms?

It is more powerful, and has the advantage of being applicable to a broader class of systems. In summary, the given difference equation can be solved using the z-transform by transforming it into the z-domain and manipulating it to obtain the desired signal. The step input u(k+2) can be treated as a step function and its inverse z-transform can be taken as z/(z-1). This approach is more powerful and applicable to a broader class of systems compared to the classical method of solving finite-difference equations.
zoom1

Homework Statement

Given the following difference equation;
x(k+2)-x(k+1)+0.25x(k)=u(k+2)

where

x(0)=1; x(1)=2; u(k)= 1 for k=1,2,3,…

Homework Equations

Z- transformation

The Attempt at a Solution

To be able to solve this difference equation, I think I need to transform it into z domain then after some manipulations I need to convert it back to discrete time signal.

Here's my attemp

z2 X(z) - z2 X(0) - zX(1) - [zX(z) - zX(0) ] + 0.25X(z) = z2 [z/(z-1)]

u(k+2) is the step input. Transformation of step is z/(z-1). However, I'm not sure about the transformation of u(k+2)

Even if it is z2 [z/(z-1)], I couldn't proceed further with the equation I obtained.

I would appreciate any help

Physics news on Phys.org
zoom1 said:

Homework Statement

Given the following difference equation;
x(k+2)-x(k+1)+0.25x(k)=u(k+2)

where

x(0)=1; x(1)=2; u(k)= 1 for k=1,2,3,…
Isn't u(k)=1 for k=0 too?

Homework Equations

Z- transformation

The Attempt at a Solution

To be able to solve this difference equation, I think I need to transform it into z domain then after some manipulations I need to convert it back to discrete time signal.

Here's my attemp

z2 X(z) - z2 X(0) - zX(1) - [zX(z) - zX(0) ] + 0.25X(z) = z2 [z/(z-1)]

u(k+2) is the step input. Transformation of step is z/(z-1). However, I'm not sure about the transformation of u(k+2)

Even if it is z2 [z/(z-1)], I couldn't proceed further with the equation I obtained.

I would appreciate any help
Try applying the definition of the z-transform to u(k+2).

vela said:
Isn't u(k)=1 for k=0 too?

Yes, it is. My mistake sorry.

vela said:
Try applying the definition of the z-transform to u(k+2).

I think it should be z2 [z/(z-1)] but I'm not sure

That's why I'm suggesting you apply the definition of the z-transform and derive the result.

vela said:
That's why I'm suggesting you apply the definition of the z-transform and derive the result.

If u is equal to 1 for every k values, it is a step function and then z/(z-1) should be the z-transform. Am I correct ?

By "u", do you mean u(k) or u(k+2)?

vela said:
By "u", do you mean u(k) or u(k+2)?

Actually that's the point confusing me. u(k+2) is there in the equation. However, When I start plugging values for k, starting from 0, I will always get 1. So, I would treat u(k+2) as step function and take its inverse z transform as z/(z-1)

That's right. You have
$$\sum_{k=0}^\infty u(k+2)z^{-k} = \sum_{k=0}^\infty z^{-k}.$$ Because you're using the unilateral z-transform, the shift ends up having no effect on the righthand side.

You may or may not be aware that there is also a "classical" way to solve finite-difference equations, analogous to the classical (non-transform) way to solve ODE's.
However, I would stick with the z transform.

Related to How Do You Solve a Difference Equation Using Z-Transforms?

1. What is a difference equation solution?

A difference equation solution is a mathematical representation of a relationship between discrete values that occur in a sequence or series. It is often used to model changes in a system over time, such as population growth or economic trends.

2. How is a difference equation solution different from a differential equation solution?

A difference equation solution models discrete values over time, while a differential equation solution models continuous values. This means that a difference equation solution is more suitable for systems that change in discrete steps, while a differential equation solution is better for systems with continuous changes.

3. What is the process for finding a difference equation solution?

The process for finding a difference equation solution involves identifying the initial conditions, determining the equation that describes the relationship between the discrete values, and then using mathematical techniques such as recurrence relations or generating functions to find the solution.

4. Can a difference equation solution be used to make predictions about future values?

Yes, a difference equation solution can be used to make predictions about future values by plugging in different values for the independent variable in the equation. However, the accuracy of these predictions may depend on the assumptions made in the initial conditions and the validity of the underlying mathematical model.

5. What are some real-world applications of difference equation solutions?

Difference equation solutions have a wide range of real-world applications, including predicting population growth, modeling stock market trends, and analyzing the spread of infectious diseases. They are also commonly used in fields such as economics, biology, and physics to study various systems and make predictions about their behavior over time.