How Do You Partially Differentiate Theta in Polar Coordinates?

In summary, the conversation is about finding ${\theta}'(t)$ in polar coordinates, using the chain rule and partial differentiation. The formula for ${\theta}$ is given as $arctan(y/x)$ and its partial derivatives with respect to x and y are derived using the quotient rule.
Poirot1
I have x=x(t) and y=y(t) and I'm working in polar co-ordinates so $$x=rcos{\theta}$$ and $$y=rsin{\theta}$$.

I want to find ${\theta}'(t)$ so by the chain rule I want $${\theta}'(x)*x'(t)+{\theta}'(y)*y'(t)$$. I know $${\theta}=arctan(y/x)$$ but how do I partially differentiate theta w.r.t x and y?

Physics news on Phys.org
Poirot said:
I have x=x(t) and y=y(t) and I'm working in polar co-ordinates so $$x=rcos{\theta}$$ and $$y=rsin{\theta}$$.

I want to find ${\theta}'(t)$ so by the chain rule I want $${\theta}'(x)*x'(t)+{\theta}'(y)*y'(t)$$. I know $${\theta}=arctan(y/x)$$ but how do I partially differentiate theta w.r.t x and y?

If $\displaystyle \theta(x,y)= \tan^{-1} \frac {y}{x}$ then is...

$\displaystyle \theta^{\ '}_{x}= \frac{- \frac{y}{x^{2}}}{1+ (\frac{y}{x})^{2}}= - \frac{y}{x^{2}+y^{2}}$

$\displaystyle \theta^{\ '}_{y}= \frac{\frac{1}{x}}{1+ (\frac{y}{x})^{2}}= \frac{x}{x^{2}+y^{2}}$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to How Do You Partially Differentiate Theta in Polar Coordinates?

What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its input variables, while holding the other variables constant. It is often used in multivariate calculus to analyze how a function changes as multiple variables change.

What is the difference between partial differentiation and total differentiation?

The main difference between partial differentiation and total differentiation is that partial differentiation only considers the change in one variable while holding the other variables constant, while total differentiation takes into account the change in all variables. In other words, partial differentiation is a special case of total differentiation.

Why is partial differentiation important in science?

Partial differentiation is important in science because it allows us to analyze how a function changes in response to changes in specific variables. This is especially useful in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering, where functions often depend on multiple variables.

What is the difference between partial derivatives and ordinary derivatives?

The main difference between partial derivatives and ordinary derivatives is that partial derivatives are calculated with respect to a specific input variable, while ordinary derivatives are calculated with respect to the independent variable of the function. In other words, partial derivatives measure the rate of change of a function in one direction, while ordinary derivatives measure the overall rate of change.

How is partial differentiation used in real-world applications?

Partial differentiation is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in physics to analyze the velocity and acceleration of moving objects, in economics to study how changes in one variable affect the overall market, and in engineering to optimize designs and systems. It is also commonly used in data analysis and machine learning to model and analyze complex relationships between variables.