How do you normally check if functions are differentiable?

In summary, you can use the fundamental definition of a derivative to find the left hand derivative (LHD) and the right hand derivative (RHD). If LHD=RHD, then function is differentiable, if they arent equal, then its not.
muskan
please help me to find out the solution of this question its very simple but i am confused.the question is

"CAN WE CHECK A FUNCTION WHICH IS NOT DIFFERENTABLE EXCATLY AT TWO POINT>IF YES THEN HOW WE CHECK IT"
can i use sin or cos function,or is the graph is straight or not

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you normally check if functions are differentiable?

Use the fundamental definition of a derivative to find the left hand derivative (LHD) and the right hand derivative (RHD). If LHD=RHD, then function is differentiable, if they arent equal, then its not.

What do you mean by "check" a function? And, you would use whatever function you are given, of course, not "sine or cosine". Clearly I am misunderstanding.

i explain u a quection,i don't get ans.please help me

we have to draw a graph of such function WHICH IS NOT DIFFERENTABLE EXCATLY AT TWO POINT ,no function is given,that is we have to find out a function which is not differentable excatly two points,and except these two points the function is diffable

Be reminded that we do not provide answers here. We provide guidance. Now, Show us some of your thoughts about this. Do you know any functions which are not differentiable at a point? What can you tell us about functions which are not differentiable at a point?

I am confused. Do you want to find a function that is differentiable at only two points? Or do you want to find a function that is not differentiable at two points?

The latter is fairly easy. Remember that the function f(x)=|x| is not diff'ble at x=0. Why not? So can you play with this function to create two points where it is not differentiable?

The former is a bit more complicated. The most natural way would be to map the irrationals and rationals differently in such a way that they coincide at two particular points.

Integral said:
Be reminded that we do not provide answers here. We provide guidance. Now, Show us some of your thoughts about this. Do you know any functions which are not differentiable at a point? What can you tell us about functions which are not differentiable at a point?

i know that this is not for hme work questions but i needed some little help
there are many functions which are not diffable such
X3 sin 1/x the function will not be difrreable if left hand limit and write hand limt are not same

Remember that there is a difference between continuous and differentiable.
Continuous means, you can draw the graph without taking your pen off the paper. For example, a sawtooth graph is continuous.
Differentiable means the function is smooth, that it "bends" insteads of "breaks". Think about the difference.

Though differentiability implies continuity, the converse is not true. So you don't really need an example like [itex]\sin 1/x[/itex] -- it's much easier to find an ordinary, continuous function but which is not differentiable. Also see ZioX's comment above.

CompuChip said:
Remember that there is a difference between continuous and differentiable.
Continuous means, you can draw the graph without taking your pen off the paper. For example, a sawtooth graph is continuous.
Differentiable means the function is smooth, that it "bends" insteads of "breaks". Think about the difference.

Though differentiability implies continuity, the converse is not true. So you don't really need an example like [itex]\sin 1/x[/itex] -- it's much easier to find an ordinary, continuous function but which is not differentiable. Also see ZioX's comment above.

thanks for ur infomation.ZioX's give an exapmle which is not differble at 0.this is one point not two points,we havw to find such fuction which is not diffable at two points but others points it is differable

okkkkk thanks to all i got an answer .

Well?
Tell us, we're curious :)

Related to How do you normally check if functions are differentiable?

1. How do you define differentiability of a function?

Differentiability of a function refers to the property of a function being smooth and continuous, without any abrupt changes or corners. It means that the function has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain.

2. What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are related concepts, but they are not the same. Continuity means that a function is without any gaps or holes, while differentiability means that the function has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain.

3. What is the process for checking the differentiability of a function?

The process for checking the differentiability of a function involves taking the limit of the function's slope as the change in the input approaches zero. If this limit exists and is finite, then the function is differentiable at that point.

4. Can a function be differentiable at some points but not others?

Yes, a function can be differentiable at some points in its domain but not others. It may have abrupt changes or corners at certain points, making it non-differentiable at those points. However, it can still be differentiable at other points where the function is smooth and continuous.

5. Is a differentiable function always continuous?

No, a differentiable function is not always continuous. While a continuous function is always differentiable, the reverse is not true. A function can be differentiable at a point but not continuous at that point, if it has a sharp corner or a vertical tangent at that point.