How Do You Integrate Trigonometric Vectors with Variable Substitution?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the antiderivative and evaluating it for the vector 3 sin^2 t cos t (i) + 3 sin t cos^2 t (j) + 2 sin t cos t (k). The person initially struggles with using a trigonometric substitution and tries a different approach by substituting t with sin(t) and using u-substitution. This leads to simplifying the integrand to u^2 du and ultimately finding the final answer t^3/3. The conversation concludes with a reminder to use a different variable to avoid confusion.
afcwestwarrior
3 sin ^2 t cos t (i) + 3 sin t cos^2 t (j) + 2 sin t cost (k)

I have to take the antiderivate for each Vector.

Then I have to evaluate it from pi/2 to o.

I'm confused because I can't use a trigonometric substitution.

Cosine is odd for the I vector but I can't substitute 1-sin^2 t in for it. Because it has to be cos^2 t

Physics news on Phys.org
for the i component, try a substitution since d/dt(sint)=cost, similar with the other two components.

I get it. If I make it like this, Sin (t) * Sin (t) * Cos (t) dt

t= sin (t)
dt = cos t)

it becomes t*t dt

then it becomes t^2 dt

and the integral of this is t^3 / 3

afcwestwarrior said:
I get it. If I make it like this, Sin (t) * Sin (t) * Cos (t) dt

t= sin (t)
dt = cos t)

it becomes t*t dt

then it becomes t^2 dt

and the integral of this is t^3 / 3

Use a different variable or you'll really confuse yourself.
u = sin(t), du = cos(t)dt

So the integrand sin2(t) cos(t) dt becomes u2 du

Related to How Do You Integrate Trigonometric Vectors with Variable Substitution?

What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative, also known as an indefinite integral, is the opposite operation of finding the derivative of a function. It is the original function that, when differentiated, gives the original function.

Why is taking the antiderivative useful?

Taking the antiderivative allows us to find the original function from its derivative, which is useful in many applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you take the antiderivative?

To take the antiderivative of a function, you must use the reverse rules of differentiation. For example, the antiderivative of x^2 is (1/3)x^3 + C, where C is a constant of integration.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will give a general formula with a constant of integration.

What are some common techniques used in taking antiderivatives?

Some common techniques used in taking antiderivatives include u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. These techniques can help simplify the antiderivative process and make it easier to solve more complex functions.