How Do You Integrate to Derive the Radiating Power of a Dipole Antenna?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: If you choose a different way to break up the integrals, the corresponding leading terms will cancel and you will get a consistent answer. In fact, if you integrate the original integral using complex analysis, you will find that the first 3 integrals have the same numerical value, but with different signs, and the fourth one has a different value. I.e. the integral is asymptotically zero, but not zero, as one would expect from the theory.In summary, the conversation is discussing a derivation of the radiating power of a dipole antenna. The individual is having trouble following the derivation and provides their own derivation, which they believe is correct. They then compare their derivation to the scanned notes and notice a difference
yungman
This is a derivation of radiating power of dipole antenna, I cannot follow the derivation of the notes. Here is my derivation starting from (1) or the notes.

[tex]I_{int}=\frac 1 2 \int_{-1}^1\frac{[1+\cos(klu)+1+\cos(kl)]}{(1+u)}du\;-\;\int_{-1}^1\frac{\cos\left (\frac{kl}{2}(1+u)\right)+\cos\left (\frac{kl}{2}(1-u)\right) }{(1+u)}du[/tex]
[tex]\hbox {Let }\;(1+u)kl=v\;\Rightarrow\;v=(kl+klu),\;u=(\frac {v}{kl}-1),\;(1+u)=\frac {v}{kl}, \;\hbox { and } \;du=\frac {dv}{kl}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\; I_{int}=\frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac {[2 + \cos (v-kl)+\cos(kl)]}{v} dv-\int_0^{2kl}\frac{\cos\left(\frac v 2 \right)}{v}dv-\int_{-1}^1 \frac{\cos\left[\frac{kl}{2}(1-u)\right]}{1+u}du[/tex]
[tex]\hbox {For the second term, let }\; w=\frac v 2 \;\hbox { and then Let } v=w \hbox { later}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\; I_{int}=\frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac {[2 + \cos (v-kl)+\cos(kl)]}{v} dv-\int_0^{kl}\frac{\cos(v)}{v}dv-\int_{-1}^1 \frac{\cos\left[\frac{kl}{2}(1-u)\right]}{1+u}du[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\; I_{int}=\frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac {[2 +\cos(kl)]}{v} dv+ \frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac { \cos (v-kl)}{v} dv -\int_0^{kl}\frac{\cos(v)}{v}dv-\int_{-1}^1 \frac{\cos\left[\frac{kl}{2}(1-u)\right]}{1+u}du[/tex]

Now compare the line (2) in the scanned notes:
[tex]\Rightarrow\; I_{int}=\frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac {[2 + \cos (klv)+\cos(kl)]}{v} dv-\int_0^{kl}\frac{\cos(v)}{v}dv-\int_{-1}^1 \frac{\cos\left[\frac{kl}{2}(1-u)\right]}{1+u}du[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\; I_{int}=\frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac {[2 +\cos(kl)]}{v} dv+ \frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac { \cos (klv)}{v} dv -\int_0^{kl}\frac{\cos(v)}{v}dv-\int_{-1}^1 \frac{\cos\left[\frac{kl}{2}(1-u)\right]}{1+u}du[/tex]

If you compare the equation I derive with (2) of the notes, the only terms that is different is:
[tex]\frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac { \cos (v-kl)}{v} dv\;\hbox { from my equation to }\;\frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac { \cos (klv)}{v} dv\;\hbox { from the notes.}[/tex]

I just don't see how I can get the answer from the notes. As you see, I separate the longer integration into two parts. I am pretty sure I did this right this time...hopefully. Please help.

I attach the whole page of the notes as I might have more question coming and I might have typos. This is a difficult derivation that involve sine and cosine integral and I am rusty in math! I am not math major, I do this as part of the derivation of radiating power of antenna. I am not like you guys that are in "mid season condition"!:smile:. Everything is rusty for me and need some kick start! What I posted is from equation (1) to (2) in the notes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your version looks right to me, the scanned notes wrong.

haruspex said:
Your version looks right to me, the scanned notes wrong.

Thanks, I spent a few hours on this!

it looks right to me too.

I believe the notes would not contradict your answer unless the term that was used in the notes in the first line was not cos(klu). Check what the theory says for that

Dundeephysics said:
it looks right to me too.

I believe the notes would not contradict your answer unless the term that was used in the notes in the first line was not cos(klu). Check what the theory says for that

It is klu because it is from ##\cos^2(\frac {KL}{2}u)=\frac 1 2[1+ \cos(klu)]## of the line above.

Thanks

I have a related question. As you can see in the equation, there is a term
[tex] \frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac {[2 +\cos(kl)]}{v} dv[/tex]
Where ##2+\cos(kl)## are constant with respect to ##v##. This means
[tex] \frac {[2 +\cos(kl)]} 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac {1}{v} dv=\frac {[2 +\cos(kl)]} 2 ln(v)|_0^{2kl}[/tex]

As you all know, ##ln(0)## is undefined. This means there is no solution for this equation! Please advice.

None of the four integrals converge, but if you look at the region near the singularity in each case you find that the four leading terms asymptotically cancel. This means that the problem is a result of breaking the integral up in this way. (The first line of your post, with just two integrals, has the same feature.)

Related to How Do You Integrate to Derive the Radiating Power of a Dipole Antenna?

1. What is integration in scientific terms?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is often used to solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation.

2. How is integration used in scientific research?

Integration is used in scientific research to analyze data and make predictions. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to model natural phenomena and understand complex systems.

3. What are some common methods of integration?

Some common methods of integration include the fundamental theorem of calculus, u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. These methods allow us to solve different types of integrals depending on the complexity of the function.

4. What are the practical applications of integration?

The practical applications of integration are vast and diverse. Some examples include calculating areas and volumes, determining the distance traveled by an object, finding the velocity and acceleration of an object, and calculating work and energy in physics.

5. Can integration be visualized?

Yes, integration can be visualized using geometric shapes and graphs. For example, the area under a curve can be represented by a rectangle, and the area between two curves can be represented by a trapezoid. Graphing the function being integrated can also help visualize the process.