How Do You Identify Critical Points in a Bounded Rectangle?

In summary: Additionally, if the student feels that s/he is capable of solving the problem, they should try. Mistakes are a valuable learning experience.
cdotter

Homework Statement

f(x,y)=xy-y^2 is bound by a rectangle with vertices at (2,-1), (2,2), (-1,2), and (-1,-1.)

Find all 2D, 1D, and 0D critical points.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2D Points:
[tex]f(x,y)=xy-y^2[/tex]
[tex]f_x=y=0 \Rightarrow y=0[/tex]
[tex]f_y=x-2y=0 \rightarrow x-2(0)=0 \Rightarrow x=0[/tex]
Therefore the critical point is (0,0)

1D Points:

The domain is a rectangle. The edges are
Top: (x,2) [itex]\rightarrow (x)(2)-2^2=2x-4; \frac{d}{dx}=2[/itex]
Bottom: (x,-1) [itex]\rightarrow(x)(-1)-(-1)^2=-x-1; \frac{d}{dx}=-1[/itex]
Left: (-1,y) [itex]\rightarrow(-1)(y)-y^2=-x-1; \frac{d}{dy}=-y-y^2=0 \Rightarrow y=-\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
Right: (2,y) [itex]\rightarrow(2)(y)-y^2=2y-y^2; \frac{d}{dy}=2-2y=0 \Rightarrow y=1[/itex]

That gives me two 1D points: (-1, -1/2) from the left edge and (2,1) from the right edge. My professor says the left edge is (-1/2, 2.) What am I doing wrong? That doesn't even make sense because 2 is a y coordinate which would be a top or bottom edge.

0D Points: The rectangle vertices.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about saddle points?

hunt_mat said:
What about saddle points?

Sorry, I'm not sure how to do those?

Since the problem asked for max and min, saddle points are irrelevant.

Surely your professor did NOT say "the left edge is (-1/2, 2.)". That makes no sense- the left edge is a line segment, not a point. He/she may have said that "a critical point on the left edge is (-1/2, 2)", the vertex where the top and left edges join.

The difficulty is that you checked the "2 dimensional" case, finding critical points in the interior of the square and then its boundary, the "1 dimensional case", the four edges. But you did not check the boundaries of those edges, the "0 dimensional case, the vertices of the square.

Since the derivative of the given function always exists, max and min may occur at any of three kinds of points:

1) In the interior where the gradient is 0. Here, (0, 0).
2) On the edges where the derivative is 0. Here, (-1, -1/2) and (2, 1).
3) At endpoints of the edges (whether a derivative there is 0 or not). Here, (2,-1), (2,2), (-1,2), and (-1,-1).

Evaluate the target function at each of those 7 points.

Yes, he has (-1/2, 2) listed as a 2-d critical point on the left edge.

My confusion is that (-1/2, 2) does not lie on the left edge of the rectangle. The left edge should have the form (-1, y), right? How did he calculate (-1/2, 2)?

Bump.

Does anyone know how he calculated (-1/2, 2)? I still can't figure it out. Maybe it's a mistake.

cdotter said:
Yes, he has (-1/2, 2) listed as a 2-d critical point on the left edge.

My confusion is that (-1/2, 2) does not lie on the left edge of the rectangle. The left edge should have the form (-1, y), right? How did he calculate (-1/2, 2)?

"My confusion is that (-1/2, 2) does not lie on the left edge of the rectangle." You are correct that (-1/2, 2) does not lie on the left edge!

"The left edge should have the form (-1, y), right?" Correct again.

"How did he calculate (-1/2, 2)?" I have no idea regarding how he calculated (-1/2, 2). Clearly it's a mistake.

HallsofIvy did a thorough job of analyzing this problem.

(Added in Edit): Those of us who teach, do occasionally make mistakes. Students need to gain enough confidence in their own abilities to recognize these as mistakes. Then, being very tactful, ask the teacher how he/she arrived at such & such a result.

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Identify Critical Points in a Bounded Rectangle?

1. What is the difference between local maxima/minima and global maxima/minima?

Local maxima/minima refer to the highest or lowest point within a specific region or interval on a graph. Global maxima/minima, on the other hand, refer to the absolute highest or lowest point on the entire graph.

2. How do I find the critical points of a function?

To find the critical points of a function, set the first derivative of the function equal to zero and solve for the variable. The resulting values are the critical points of the function.

3. What is the second derivative test and how is it used?

The second derivative test is a method for determining the nature of a critical point (whether it is a local maxima, minima, or neither). It involves evaluating the second derivative of the function at the critical point. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a local minima. If the second derivative is negative, the critical point is a local maxima. If the second derivative is zero, the test is inconclusive.

4. Can a function have multiple local maxima/minima?

Yes, a function can have multiple local maxima/minima. This occurs when there are multiple regions or intervals on the graph where the function reaches a highest or lowest point.

5. How do I determine if a critical point is a local maxima or minima?

To determine if a critical point is a local maxima or minima, you can use the first or second derivative test. Alternatively, you can plug in values from the interval before and after the critical point into the original function and compare the resulting y-values. If the y-value decreases before the critical point and increases after, it is a local minima. If the y-value increases before the critical point and decreases after, it is a local maxima.