How do you find/organize equations and info?

• Thread starter Lazer57
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed how mechanical engineers organize and find equations and information. The options mentioned were using software for calculations, memorizing equations, knowing which book to reference, tabbing books, using a quick reference guide, and creating personal excel or PowerPoint equation sheets. The participants shared their personal methods, with a common theme being a combination of using books and creating their own equation sheets. They also discussed the use of company databases and proprietary software for equations that are not found in textbooks. The conversation ended with a request for recommendations on websites with visual explanations of equations and the sharing of personal equation sheets.
Lazer57
I was curious as to how different mechanical engineers found/organized the equations and information they need. So how have you organized equations or how do you go about finding them? Which options below apply to you and in which order?

a) Who needs equations?
b) Software does the calculations
c) I have everything I use memorized
d) I know which book I need to look in
e) I have my books tabbed
f) I use a quick reference guide (i.e. Gieck's Engineering Formulas)
g) I made my own excel/powerpoint equation sheets

For me it was mostly a), occasionally b) and if neither would do I typically go on to f) and if it doesn't have what I need I jump to d)/e) depending on whether I tabbed the book in college.

Mostly I am interested in whether a fair amount of people make their own equation sheets. I saw several of my college peers making and consistently updating their equation sheets, but I have no idea what most actual engineers do. I personally have a horrible memory and am a visual person so quick reference guides usually aren't very useful for me. I started making an excel sheet but it was too limited for my visual needs. I am going to start making powerpoint slides for different topics and I can convert it to pdf so I can have it on a smart phone, tablet or most anywhere.

Also, does anyone know a good site that has good visual explanations of a wide variety of equations/topics? Or if some of you have made your own equation sheets, mind sharing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I use D and E in that order with a very small smattering of A and B. Books are your friend. Invest in a bookshelf. I have to admit, the idea of doing that on your smart phone is intriguing, but it would be pretty cumbersome I would imagine.

In my experience, the company I work for keeps the most often used engineering equations. Most equations are completed using proprietary software, or within excel spreadsheets. The reason is that many of the equations I use have been empirically derived over the years and aren't in textbooks. The company databases are for the purposes of ease of use, ISO certifications, and in the case that a customer wants a design audits. I also frequently develop my own spreadsheets to repeat calculations. So, b, d, and g.

Related to How do you find/organize equations and info?

1. How do you determine which equations are relevant to your research?

As a scientist, I first start by identifying the key variables and relationships in my research question. Then, I use my knowledge of the subject area to search for relevant equations and theories in scientific literature. I also consult with colleagues and experts in the field to ensure I have considered all relevant equations.

2. How do you organize and store equations and information for future use?

I use a variety of methods to organize and store equations and information. These include creating a digital database or spreadsheet, using a citation management tool, and keeping physical copies in a labeled binder. I also make sure to properly cite and document the source of each equation for future reference.

3. How do you keep track of updates or changes to equations and theories?

I make sure to regularly review and update my equation and information database. I also keep track of new research developments and updates in the scientific community through attending conferences and reading scientific journals. Additionally, I communicate with colleagues and experts in the field to stay informed about any changes to equations and theories.

4. What do you do if you encounter conflicting equations or information?

If I encounter conflicting equations or information, I first try to identify the source of the discrepancy. This can involve checking for mistakes in calculations, verifying the accuracy of sources, and seeking input from experts in the field. If the conflict cannot be resolved, I make a note of it and consider multiple perspectives in my research.

5. How do you ensure the accuracy and reliability of the equations and information you use?

I carefully evaluate the sources of equations and information before using them in my research. This includes checking for peer-reviewed studies, reputable authors or sources, and consistency with other established theories and equations. I also conduct experiments and tests to verify the accuracy and reliability of the equations and information in my specific research context.