How do you find initial values for linear discrete time systems?

In summary, to obtain the initial conditions h[1] and h[0], we used the equations from steps 7.29 and 7.28, and plugged in the values for k to solve for h[1] and h[0].
Chandasouk
Can someone the following steps of this solution for me?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/828/80685231.jpg/

Mainly how they got their initial conditions? The 7.30 equation is just h[n-m] = bm which doesn't help me much.

For our problem, I know that n=3 and m =1 since the LHS highest degree is +3 and RHS highest degree is +1

then h[3-1] = h[2] = 6 because coefficient b1 which is in front of f[k+1] is 6. At least that is what I think. Correct me if I am wrong.

But then how do they obtain h[1] and h[0]? Why are we plugging in values for K?

Physics news on Phys.org
To obtain h[1] and h[0], we will use the equation in step 7.30, which is h[n-m]=bm, where n and m are the highest degrees of the LHS and RHS respectively. Since the highest degree on the LHS is 3 and the highest degree on the RHS is 1, n=3 and m=1. Plugging this into the equation, we get h[3-1]=h[2]=bm. Since b1 is 6, we can conclude that h[2]=6. Now, we can use the equations from steps 7.29 and 7.28 to obtain h[1] and h[0]. Step 7.29 gives us the equation h[k-1]+h[k+1]=2f[k], while step 7.28 gives us h[-1]=0. Plugging k=1 into both equations, we get h[0]+h[2]=2f[1] and h[-1]=0. Since we already know that h[2]=6, we can solve for h[0] by rearranging the equations. We get h[0]=2f[1]-6. Since f[1]=-3, we can conclude that h[0]=12. Finally, we can use step 7.29 again to obtain h[1]. Plugging k=2 into the equation, we get h[1]+h[3]=2f[2]. Since we know h[3]=0 (from step 7.28), we can solve for h[1]. We get h[1]=2f[2]. Since f[2]=1, we can conclude that h[1] = 2.

Related to How do you find initial values for linear discrete time systems?

1. How do you determine the initial conditions for a linear discrete time system?

The initial conditions for a linear discrete time system can be determined by setting the values of the system's states at the initial time step. These values can be obtained from previous measurements or by using mathematical models to estimate the initial states.

2. What factors should be considered when choosing initial values for a linear discrete time system?

The choice of initial values for a linear discrete time system should take into account the system's dynamics, the accuracy of the measurements, and the desired performance of the system. It is also important to consider any constraints on the initial values, such as physical limitations or system stability requirements.

3. Can initial values for a linear discrete time system be changed after the system has been initialized?

Yes, the initial values for a linear discrete time system can be changed after the system has been initialized. However, this may affect the system's behavior and may require the system to be re-tuned or re-initialized.

4. How do you determine the initial values for a complex linear discrete time system?

Determining the initial values for a complex linear discrete time system may require more advanced techniques, such as system identification or simulation. These methods involve using mathematical models and data from previous measurements to estimate the system's initial states.

5. Are there any techniques or algorithms for automatically determining initial values for linear discrete time systems?

Yes, there are various techniques and algorithms for automatically determining initial values for linear discrete time systems. These include Kalman filtering, parameter estimation, and optimization methods. These approaches can be useful for more complex systems or when accurate initial values are difficult to obtain through other means.