How Do You Factor and Solve Polynomial Equations to Find Box Dimensions?

• Thread starter thomasrules
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the dimensions of the box with a volume of 12 cm cubed can be found by factoring x^3-7x^2+14x-8 into linear factors and setting x= 5 in each factor to get the dimensions.
thomasrules
A box has dimensions that are linear factors of (x^3-7x^2+14x-8) cubic centimetres. What dimensions give a volume of 12 cm cubed?

I started it off by moving 12 to the left side giving the equation:

x^3-7x^2+14x-20=0

then from then I don't know...If I substitute 5, the equation is satisfied and is a factor but from there it doesn't work. Plus 5 won't really make it 12 so...i'm lost

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you know a zero of a polynomial, you can divide by the corresponding factor to reduce the degree of the polynomial. In this case, the zero you found is 5, so we will divide the polynomial by (x - 5). You can do this either with long or synthetic division.

Once you do that, you will have a reduced polynomial (a quadratic). You can then solve this to find the other roots. Having 5 as a factor does not mean you cannot get 12, since the other factors could be fractions or even irrational numbers.

However, now that I look at the problem closer, I see that, in fact, the other two roots will be imaginary. So, I suspect that either you wrote the problem incorrectly (a negative sign in the wrong place) or you were given a problem with to tangible solution.

Last edited:
thomasrules said:
I started it off by moving 12 to the left side

NO.

Factor [itex]x^3-7x^2+14x-8[/itex] completely into (x-a)(x-b)(x-c). Then find some combination of a, b, and c (with possible repitition) that multiply together to give 12. Don't try to factor it with the 12, that's not a part of the question.

Last edited:
CRGreathouse said:
NO.

Factor [itex]x^3-7x^2+14x-8[/itex] completely into (x-a)(x-b)(x-c). Then find some combination of a, b, and c (with possible repitition) that multiply together to give 12. Don't try to factor it with the 12, that's not a part of the question.
yes it is :biggrin:

you have to move it to the left side to get -20 then f(5)=0

You have correctly determined that a solution to [itex]x^3-7x^2+14x-8= 12[/itex] is x= 5. In fact, if you divide [itex]x^3-7x^2+14x-20[/itex] by x-5, you get that the other factor is [itex]x^2- 2x+ 4[/itex] which has no real zeroes so x= 5 is the only solution.

Now, CRGreathouse's point is that you need to factor [itex]x^3-7x^2+14x-8[/itex] into linear factors. Setting x= 5 in each of those linear factors gives the dimensions. (Hint: x= 1 satisfies [itex]x^3-7x^2+14x-8= 0[/itex].)

Related to How Do You Factor and Solve Polynomial Equations to Find Box Dimensions?

What is a polynomial equation?

A polynomial equation is an algebraic expression that contains two or more terms, with each term consisting of a variable raised to a non-negative integer power and multiplied by a coefficient.

How do you solve a polynomial equation?

To solve a polynomial equation, you must find the values of the variable that make the equation true. This is done by using algebraic methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or synthetic division.

What is the degree of a polynomial equation?

The degree of a polynomial equation is the highest exponent of the variable in the equation. For example, in the equation 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2.

What is the fundamental theorem of algebra?

The fundamental theorem of algebra states that every polynomial equation of degree n has n complex solutions. This means that every polynomial equation can be factored into n linear factors.

Why are polynomial equations important?

Polynomial equations are important because they can be used to model and solve real-world problems in various fields such as science, engineering, economics, and finance. They also serve as a foundation for more complex mathematical concepts and equations.