How Do You Effectively Revise for Math and Physics?

• Thread starter Mépris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Revision
In summary, this thread's purpose is to provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary.
Mépris
Do you follow a somewhat strict timetable? Or do you, like yours truly, just start working spontaneously on a few chapters and be done with it? At times, something ticks and everything about Mathematics/Physics seems fascinating and it keeps me going on and on. The problem which comes with this is that I am not consistent enough.

This thread's purpose is for me to get some kind of insight on how others revise and hopefully, I might find something more suitable to my...er, character? Anywho, post away, folks! : D

Edit:

If ever this thread is in the wrong section, please move it accordingly. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thy Apathy said:
Do you follow a somewhat strict timetable? Or do you, like yours truly, just start working spontaneously on a few chapters and be done with it? At times, something ticks and everything about Mathematics/Physics seems fascinating and it keeps me going on and on. The problem which comes with this is that I am not consistent enough.

This thread's purpose is for me to get some kind of insight on how others revise and hopefully, I might find something more suitable to my...er, character? Anywho, post away, folks! : D

Edit:

If ever this thread is in the wrong section, please move it accordingly. Thank you.

After doing the basics per "timetable", my post grad teachers instructed me to glance through the material and begin where I felt I might like to. Even the conclusion.

Moderators, please consider merging this with the Huck Finn thread. Thanks.

These 'revision' tip threads just keep popping up.

Please people, use search.

jarednjames said:
These 'revision' tip threads just keep popping up.

Please people, use search.

its almost as if exams are coming up soon or something

Am I correct in my guess that "revision" and "revise" in this context are British-isms that refer to something like "studying or reviewing for an exam"?

As far as I know, this usage is unknown in the USA; at least I never saw it before coming to PF. Also, it's not included in the list of definitions that Google gives me for "revise":

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1220&bih=990&q=define:+revise&btnG=Search

Now that I look at that again more closely, I suppose it would fall under one clause of the fifth bullet point: "To look at again, to reflect on".

revision = studying

There have been threads here in the past on it (well studying or revision, same thing either way).

Yeah, that's what I thought. I just wanted to verify it. Does it have a connotation beyond simply "studying" or "reviewing," or is it just a synonym?

Over here, I've never seen "revise" used to mean anything other than "edit" or "update" or "make corrections to" something, e.g. an article or paper.

Thy Apathy said:
Edit...

Are you in need of an editor? If so, I'm available for hire...

A good student I know made carefully designed posters, each one summarising the main points of each topic. These posters were then stuck to the walls and ceiling of her bedroom,, where she could lie in bed to contemplate them. Friends were invited to contribute too. Did they lie in bed together? Did quite well actually.

Related to How Do You Effectively Revise for Math and Physics?

1. How do you stay motivated during the revision process?

Staying motivated during revision can be challenging, but it's important to remind yourself of the end goal and the progress you've made so far. Setting small, achievable goals and taking breaks when needed can also help maintain motivation.

2. How do you organize your revision materials?

There is no one right way to organize revision materials, as it may vary depending on the subject and individual preferences. However, some common methods include creating outlines, color-coding notes, and using flashcards or mind maps.

3. How do you deal with overwhelming amounts of information during revision?

If you feel overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to revise, it's important to break it down into smaller, manageable chunks. Prioritize the most important topics and use different study techniques, such as summarizing or teaching the material to someone else.

4. How do you handle distractions during revision?

Distractions can be a major obstacle during revision, so it's important to find a quiet and comfortable study space and eliminate any potential distractions. Setting a specific timeframe for studying and using productivity apps or techniques can also help minimize distractions.

5. How do you know when you've studied enough and are ready for the exam?

Knowing when you've studied enough is subjective and can vary from person to person. It's important to consistently review and practice the material, and once you feel confident and can easily explain the concepts to someone else, it may be a good indication that you're ready for the exam.