How Do You Determine Rotational Invariance in a Two-Fermion System?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining if a Hamiltonian is rotational invariant, specifically in the case of a two-particle wave function. The rotation operator is associated with the angular momentum operator and the perturbation can be checked by calculating the commutation between the Hamiltonian and the rotation operator. The conversation also discusses the representation of Lz and simplifying the calculation by using the property of commutator between angular momentum and position.
jjohnson

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 4.34.21 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose to determine if a hamiltonian is rotational invariant, we check if [H(1),L^2], however, I am not sure how to do it if the hamiltonian is operate on a two particle wave function.
Is it just to evaluate [S1z Z2 +S2z Z1, L1^2+L2^2]?

What is the ground state wave function for this system?
I suppose it is

A (|0,1,1/2,-1/2> - |0,1,-1/2,1/2>), if you apply S1z, you get 0. It is also true for S2z. I think I am just lost here.

Physics news on Phys.org
The rotation operator in this system will be associated with the angular momentum operator ##J^z = L_1^z + S_1^z + L_2^z + S_2^z##. To check if the perturbation alters the rotation invariant of the system, calculate the commutation ##[H^{(1)},J^z]##.

blue_leaf77 said:
The rotation operator in this system will be associated with the angular momentum operator ##J^z = L_1^z + S_1^z + L_2^z + S_2^z##. To check if the perturbation alters the rotation invariant of the system, calculate the commutation ##[H^{(1)},J^z]##.

Thank you fore replying.
How should I reprent ## L_z ##? is it ## XP_y - YP_x ##? Get r in spherical coordinate using raising and lowering operator and projection z axis? seems like a lot of work.

jjohnson said:
is it ##XP_y - YP_x## ?
Yes. ##L_z## is the orbital angular momentum of one of the fermions.
jjohnson said:
Get r in spherical coordinate using raising and lowering operator and projection z axis?
That's too much than needed. Just plug in each expression for ##H^{(1)}## and ##J_z## into the commutator ##[H^{(1)},J_z]##. It should be simple if you use the property of commutator between angular momentum and position.

Related to How Do You Determine Rotational Invariance in a Two-Fermion System?

1. What is the concept of two fermions perturbation?

Two fermions perturbation refers to the study of the interaction between two identical fermions in a quantum system, such as electrons or protons. It involves calculating the effects of small changes or perturbations on the energy levels and wavefunctions of the fermions.

2. How is two fermions perturbation different from single fermion perturbation?

The main difference between two fermions perturbation and single fermion perturbation is that in the former, the perturbation affects both fermions simultaneously, while in the latter, only one fermion is perturbed. This leads to more complex calculations and interactions in two fermions perturbation.

3. What are some real-life applications of two fermions perturbation?

Two fermions perturbation has various applications in physics, chemistry, and materials science. For example, it is used to study the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules, as well as the properties of solids and materials in condensed matter physics.

4. How is two fermions perturbation related to Pauli's exclusion principle?

Pauli's exclusion principle states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. Two fermions perturbation takes into account this principle and calculates the effects of perturbation on the fermions' energy levels and wavefunctions while ensuring that the exclusion principle is not violated.

5. What are the mathematical techniques used in two fermions perturbation?

Some of the common mathematical techniques used in two fermions perturbation include perturbation theory, matrix diagonalization, and variational methods. Other techniques such as the Hartree-Fock method and density functional theory are also used in more advanced studies.