Energy of two fermions in a three-dimensional box

In summary, the problem involves two particles of mass m in a rectangular box with sides a>b>c. The particles have a potential energy V=A\delta(\mathbf{r}_1-\mathbf{r}_2) and are in their ground state (1s). The objective is to find the systems energy using first order perturbation theory for two cases: a) where the particles are fermions with anti-parallel spins, and b) where the particles are fermions with parallel spins. The hamiltonian for case a) is written as H=H_0+H'=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m_1}\nabla_1^2-\frac{\hbar^2}{
Skrien

Homework Statement

Two particles of mass m are placed in a rectangular box with sides a>b>c (note 3D-box). The particles interact with each other with a potential [itex]V=A\delta(\mathbf{r}_1-\mathbf{r}_2)[/itex] and are in their ground state (1s). Use first order perturbation theory to find the systems energy in two cases:

[itex]
\begin{cases}
a ) \text{ The particles are fermions with anti-parallel spins}\\
b) \text{ The particles are fermions with parallel spins}
\end{cases}
[/itex]

Homework Equations

I'm having trouble finding the explicit spin wave-function, what is the total wave function for my two particle system? I need an explicit expression for which I can perform the integral, I have only found implicit expression such as [itex]''\chi(s_1,s_2)''[/itex]. What is this function in my case?

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've concluded that the state in b) is impossible because of the Pauli exclusion principle. In a) I have written down the hamiltonian as
[itex]
H=H_0+H'=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m_1}\nabla_1^2-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m_2}\nabla_2^2+A\delta(\mathbf{r}_1-\mathbf{r}_2).
[/itex]
where H' is the interacting potential which is considered the perturbation. The first order correction to the energy is
[itex]E_{n_1n_2}^{(1)}=<\psi_{n_1n_2}|H'|\psi_{n_1n_2}>[/itex]

The wave-function for one particle in a box without consideration to spin is quite straight forward, however, I can't seem to grasp the concept of spin-wave function.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Skrien said:
I'm having trouble finding the explicit spin wave-function, what is the total wave function for my two particle system? I need an explicit expression for which I can perform the integral, I have only found implicit expression such as [itex]''\chi(s_1,s_2)''[/itex]. What is this function in my case?
The integral over the spin components is trivial, as it is not a function of r1 or r2. The only thing that will be important is that it is normalized and (hint) its symmetry.

Skrien said:
So far I've concluded that the state in b) is impossible because of the Pauli exclusion principle.
My reading of the problem is that the particles are in the ground state internally, but not necessarily in the ground state of the box (because the designation 1s has nothing to do with the box). I would find an appropriate spatial wave function where the Pauli principle is obeyed.

Related to Energy of two fermions in a three-dimensional box

What is the "Energy of two fermions in a three-dimensional box"?

The "Energy of two fermions in a three-dimensional box" refers to the total energy of a system consisting of two fermions (particles with half-integer spin) confined in a three-dimensional box. This is a well-studied problem in quantum mechanics and has important applications in understanding the behavior of particles in a confined space.

What is the significance of studying the energy of two fermions in a three-dimensional box?

Studying the energy of two fermions in a three-dimensional box is important for understanding the behavior of fermions in a confined system. This has applications in various fields such as condensed matter physics, quantum chemistry, and nuclear physics.

How is the energy of two fermions in a three-dimensional box calculated?

The energy of two fermions in a three-dimensional box is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the confinement of the particles in the box and the interactions between them.

What are the factors that affect the energy of two fermions in a three-dimensional box?

The energy of two fermions in a three-dimensional box is affected by several factors, including the size of the box, the mass and charge of the particles, and the strength of their interactions. Other factors such as the presence of external fields or other particles can also influence the energy of the system.

What are the possible energy states for two fermions in a three-dimensional box?

The possible energy states for two fermions in a three-dimensional box are discrete and depend on the size and shape of the box. These energy states are known as quantum energy levels and are described by a set of quantum numbers that determine the energy and other properties of the particles in the box.