How Do You Determine if a Reaction Has Reached Equilibrium Using Kp?

To find out if a reaction has reached equilibrium, you can compare the calculated Kp value to the reaction quotient Qp. If Kp > Qp, the reaction has not reached equilibrium and needs to proceed further. If Kp < Qp, the reaction has reached equilibrium and the concentrations of reactants and products are stable. In summary, to determine if a reaction has reached equilibrium, compare the calculated Kp value to the reaction quotient Qp. If Kp > Qp, the reaction has not reached equilibrium and needs to proceed further. If Kp < Qp, the reaction has reached equilibrium and the concentrations of reactants and products are stable.
Phyzwizz
Ok so I don't know what to do to find out whether the reaction has reached equilibrium or not because I wasn't sure whether the relationship between the equilibrium constant and the reaction quotient is the same for the equilibrium partial pressures(Kp)

N2(g) + 3H2(g) <----> 2NH3(g)

PNH3 = 3.1 X 10-2 atm
PN2 = 8.5 X 10-1 atm
PH2 = 3.1 X 10-3 atm

I calculated the Kp value for these pressures to be 3.8 X 104

The problem next says: If PN2 = 0.525 atm, PNH3 = 0.0167 atm ,and PH2 = 0.00761 atm, does this represent a system at equilibrium.

I calculated the Kp value for these and got 1.2 X 103

So do I next find the reaction quotient and compare the 2nd Kp value to that in order to find out whether the second set of values reaches equilibrium or not.

PLEASE HELP I'M SORRY FOR ALL THE WRITING

Physics news on Phys.org
Phyzwizz said:
I wasn't sure whether the relationship between the equilibrium constant and the reaction quotient is the same for the equilibrium partial pressures(Kp)

Yes, it is the same as between concentrations and Kc.

Related to How Do You Determine if a Reaction Has Reached Equilibrium Using Kp?

1. What is the definition of equilibrium in chemistry?

Equilibrium in chemistry refers to the state in which the rate of a forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in no overall change in the concentrations of reactants and products.

2. How is equilibrium represented in a chemical equation?

Equilibrium in a chemical equation is represented by a double arrow (↔) between the reactants and products. This indicates that the reaction can proceed in both the forward and reverse directions.

3. What is the equilibrium constant (Kp) and how is it calculated?

The equilibrium constant (Kp) is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium. It is calculated by dividing the partial pressures of the products by the partial pressures of the reactants, with each raised to the power of their respective stoichiometric coefficients.

4. How does temperature affect the equilibrium constant (Kp)?

In general, an increase in temperature leads to an increase in the equilibrium constant (Kp) for an endothermic reaction, and a decrease in Kp for an exothermic reaction. This is because the equilibrium constant is dependent on the difference in energy between the reactants and products, and temperature affects the energy of the system.

5. How can Le Chatelier's principle be used to predict the effect of changing conditions on a system at equilibrium?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system at equilibrium is subjected to a stress, it will shift in a direction that minimizes the effect of that stress. This principle can be used to predict the effect of changing conditions, such as temperature, pressure, or concentration, on a system at equilibrium. For example, if the pressure is increased, the system will shift in the direction that decreases the number of moles of gas to reduce the pressure.