How Do I Calculate Equilibrium Constants for Chemical Reactions?

• Thread starter xoilovemeryl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
Remember to take into account that 65.1% of the NOBr decomposes, so you will need to use the correct concentrations in the Q equation.
xoilovemeryl
Okay so I have a big packet to do and I figured all of them out but 3. If anyone could help me with any of them, I'd greatly appreciate it!

1. Find KC for this reaction: C6H4 (g) + F2 (g) makes 2CF4 (g) + 4HF(g)

Given: H2(g) + F2(g) makes 2HF (g) Kc= 1.4x1014
1/2C(s) + F2 makes 1/2CF4(g) Kc= 2.0x108
2C(s) + 2H2(g) makes C2H4(g) Kc=1.7x10-2

2. NH4Co2NH2(s) makes 2NH3(g) + CO2(g)

Starting with only the solid, it is found that at 40 degrees C the total gas pressure (NH3 and CO2 is 0.363 atm. Calculate the equilibrium constant, Kp

3. A container is filled with NOBr to 0.762 atm and 65.1% of it decomposes. Determine Kp for this reaction: 2NOBr(g) makes 2NO(g) + Br2 (g)

I have been trying to figure these out for 3 days and just can't. I've tried using the ICE chart with y but that didn't work. If anyone could just tell me what to do (I'm not even looking for an answer, just steps) that would be so amazing. Thanks for your time!

Ok for the first one I tried adding up all of the Kc's but that just seems to easy. I also tried to manipulate each equation to make it like the first one, but that didn't work either.

For the second one, I thought of putting the 0.363 with the NH4CO2NH2 using the ICE chart but that doesn't seem right, although it may be.

And for the final one could I put .763 with the 2NOBr and use Y in the ICE chart to find 2NO and Br2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. For the first question, you need to use the Reaction Quotient (Q) equation to find Kc. Q is equal to the product of the concentrations of the products over the product of the concentrations of the reactants. You can then plug in the values of each concentration to solve for Kc.2. For the second question, you can use the Ideal Gas Law to calculate the value of Kp. The Ideal Gas Law states that PV=nRT where P is the pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature. Thus, you can rearrange the equation to solve for Kp.3. For the third question, you can also use the Ideal Gas Law to calculate the value of Kp. Here, you need to convert the partial pressure of 0.762 atm into the total pressure and then use the equation above to solve for Kp.

1. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance that consists of only one type of atom. A compound, on the other hand, is a substance that is made up of two or more different elements chemically combined in a fixed ratio.

2. What is the periodic table and how is it organized?

The periodic table is a tabular arrangement of all the known chemical elements in order of their atomic number. It is organized into rows (periods) and columns (groups) based on the elements' atomic structure and properties.

3. How do chemical reactions occur?

Chemical reactions occur when atoms or molecules collide with enough energy to break or form chemical bonds, resulting in the formation of new substances with different properties.

4. What is the difference between an acid and a base?

An acid is a substance that releases hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution, while a base is a substance that releases hydroxide ions (OH-) in a solution. Acids have a pH less than 7, while bases have a pH greater than 7.

5. What is the mole and why is it important in chemistry?

The mole is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to express the amount of a substance. It is defined as the amount of a substance that contains the same number of particles (atoms, molecules, or ions) as there are atoms in 12 grams of carbon-12. It is important in chemistry because it allows us to measure and compare the amount of different substances in a consistent way.