How Do You Determine Direction in Hypothesis Testing?

In summary, when determining the null and alternative hypothesis for a hypothesis test, the problem statement will often give you an indication of what the alternate hypothesis is. In this case, the problem states to "test the claim that the mean breakdown voltage is less than 9 volts," so the alternate hypothesis is H1: ##\mu < 9##. This means that the null hypothesis is H0: ##\mu \ge 9##. When the calculated value of t is greater than the critical value, we fail to reject the null hypothesis, which means there is a good chance that the population mean is greater than 9. On the other hand, if the calculated value of t is less than the critical value, we reject the null
theBEAST

Homework Statement

For example in my notes in class the prof went over an example with the following null and alternative hypothesis:
PJUdmVV.png

I feel like you can switch them around but I am not too sure. I have been trying to figure out when to use greater than or less than for the null hypothesis but to no avail.

Does anyone know how you know when to use greater than or when to use less than for the null/alternative hypothesis?

Physics news on Phys.org
theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

For example in my notes in class the prof went over an example with the following null and alternative hypothesis:
PJUdmVV.png

I feel like you can switch them around but I am not too sure.
No, you can't switch them around. Usually the problem statement will give you and idea of what the alternate hypothesis (H1 or Ha) is. In your problem it says to "test the claim that the mean breakdown voltage is less than 9 volts."
So your alternate hypothesis is H1: ##\mu < 9##
This forces the null hypothesis to be H0: ##\mu \ge 9##
theBEAST said:
I have been trying to figure out when to use greater than or less than for the null hypothesis but to no avail.

Does anyone know how you know when to use greater than or when to use less than for the null/alternative hypothesis?

Mark44 said:
No, you can't switch them around. Usually the problem statement will give you and idea of what the alternate hypothesis (H1 or Ha) is. In your problem it says to "test the claim that the mean breakdown voltage is less than 9 volts."
So your alternate hypothesis is H1: ##\mu < 9##
This forces the null hypothesis to be H0: ##\mu \ge 9##

Oh okay that makes sense.

Also, in the solution we get that t_obs > t_(α=0.05), and it then says fail to reject H0. Does this mean that there is a good chance that the population mean is greater than 9?

If it was the case that t_obs < t_(α=0.05), then it would mean that the claim that the mean breakdown voltage is less than 9 volts is most likely true.

Am I right?

theBEAST said:
Oh okay that makes sense.

Also, in the solution we get that t_obs > t_(α=0.05), and it then says fail to reject H0. Does this mean that there is a good chance that the population mean is greater than 9?
If the calculated value of t happened to be in the critical region (the region you show as shaded), we would reject the null hypothesis, which is the same as accepting the alternate hypothesis. Since the alternate hypothesis was ##\mu < 9##, we would say with 95% confidence that the population mean was less than 9.

If the calculated t value was NOT in the critical region (t ≥ tα=0.05), we would fail to reject the null hypothesis, which is equivalent to saying that we accept the null hypothesis.
theBEAST said:
If it was the case that t_obs < t_(α=0.05), then it would mean that the claim that the mean breakdown voltage is less than 9 volts is most likely true.

Am I right?
Yes.

Related to How Do You Determine Direction in Hypothesis Testing?

What is a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon or observation that can be tested through experiments or observations.

Why is hypothesis testing important in science?

Hypothesis testing allows scientists to determine if their proposed explanations or theories are supported by evidence. It helps to ensure that conclusions drawn from experiments or observations are valid and reliable.

How do you conduct a hypothesis test?

The first step is to formulate a null hypothesis, which is the assumption that there is no significant difference or relationship between variables. Then, a testable alternate hypothesis is proposed. Next, data is collected and analyzed using statistical methods to determine if there is enough evidence to reject the null hypothesis and support the alternate hypothesis.

What is the significance level in hypothesis testing?

The significance level, also known as alpha, is the threshold used to determine if the results of a hypothesis test are statistically significant. It is typically set at 0.05 or 0.01, which means that if the probability of obtaining the observed results by chance is less than 5% or 1%, the null hypothesis can be rejected.

Can a hypothesis be proven?

No, a hypothesis can never be proven. It can only be supported or rejected based on the evidence gathered through experiments or observations. Even if a hypothesis is supported by multiple studies, it can always be refined or modified as new evidence is discovered.