How Do You Determine Currents in Circuit Branches Using Linear Equations?

In summary: That's why the current is going in the opposite direction. When dealing with currents in circuits, always remember to include the 3V source. You can find the voltage and current in a 3V circuit by using the Kirchoff's laws.
AlegbraNoob

Homework Statement

"Determine the currents in the various branches"

Homework Equations

CLiHz.jpg

The one I am stuck on is 6.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know there is 3 equations, I believe one of them is I1 + I2= 3 and a second is 4= 2I3+I2 ??
but I am not sure if that is correct or what the 3rd one is. I know I can solve the equations if I know the 3 equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
AlegbraNoob said:

Homework Statement

"Determine the currents in the various branches"

Homework Equations

CLiHz.jpg

The one I am stuck on is 6.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know there is 3 equations, I believe one of them is I1 + I2= 3 and a second is 4= 2I3+I2 ??
but I am not sure if that is correct or what the 3rd one is. I know I can solve the equations if I know the 3 equations.

You'd better show how you got those equations, because both of them seem wrong.

I know they seem wrong, that's why I am asking for help...

AlegbraNoob said:
I know they seem wrong, that's why I am asking for help...

Show us how you derive the equations systematically using Kirchoff's laws and we may be able to help critique them.

This is a class about linear equations not about electrical engineering:

Well I know that the sum of all the voltage drops around a closed loop is equal to the total voltage in the loop so.I'm guessing here:I1+I2+I3= 0
I2-2I3= 3
I1+ I2 = 4

AlegbraNoob said:
This is a class about linear equations not about electrical engineering:

I don't think it matters. Clearly, familiarity with Kirchoff's laws is a prerequisite here.

There are two: the current law and the voltage law. You can find them easily on wiki. I suggest you read them first.

Well I know that the sum of all the voltage drops around a closed loop is equal to the total voltage in the loop so.I'm guessing here:

I1+I2+I3= 0

This looks like a current law statement. That's actually talking about current flows at a point (node in the circuit) rather than a loop. In this case, the directions of the currents I1, I2 and I3 have been indicated. If you solve the equations and find that one or more of them are negative, it just means that the current is actually flowing the other way than indicated, so don't worry.

Look at the node to the right of the positive terminal of the 3V cell. Identify which way the currents are flowing in and out of the node. I1 is flowing "upward" out of the node. I2 is flowing "rightward" into the node. I3 is flowing "downward" out of the node. Can you now set up an equation using Kirchoff's current law?

I2-2I3= 3

Here, you're trying to apply Kirchoff's voltage law, but not doing it correctly. A tip is to identify a closed loop and choose a direction (clockwise works fine here). When going across a resistor determine if you're going with the current in segment or against the current in that segment. If it's the former (with current), put a negative sign on your I*R term. This is because you're actually going from a higher potential to a lower potential (because that's the direction of current flow). If it's the latter, leave the I*R term as positive. When you're going across voltage sources (like cells), if you're going from the negative terminal to the positive, leave that as positive V (since you're going up in voltage). If you're going from the positive to the negative terminal, make that term negative (-V). Collect all the terms in a sum on the left hand side. The right hand side is always equal to zero.

With these rules, you should be able to generate the right equations.

I1+ I2 = 4

You've neglected the 3V source completely here.

Related to How Do You Determine Currents in Circuit Branches Using Linear Equations?

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which each term is either a constant or the product of a constant and a single variable. It can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

2. How are linear equations used in currents?

Linear equations are used in currents to describe the relationship between voltage, resistance, and current in an electrical circuit. Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points and inversely proportional to the resistance between them, can be represented by the linear equation I = V/R.

3. What is the significance of the slope in a linear equation?

The slope in a linear equation represents the rate of change, or how much the dependent variable (y) changes for every unit change in the independent variable (x). In the context of currents, the slope represents the resistance in the circuit.

4. How is the y-intercept interpreted in a linear equation?

The y-intercept in a linear equation represents the value of the dependent variable when the independent variable is 0. In the context of currents, it represents the current when there is no voltage (i.e. a short circuit).

5. Can linear equations be used to predict currents?

Yes, linear equations can be used to predict currents in a circuit. By rearranging the equation I = V/R, we can solve for any of the three variables (current, voltage, or resistance) if the other two are known. This allows us to make predictions about the current in a circuit given certain changes in voltage or resistance.