How Do You Derive the Equation for a Medium-Distance Power Transmission Line?

In summary, The conversation is about someone seeking help to derive an equation for a two-pair terminal medium-distance power transmission line. They receive a clue to use a Pi network and eventually solve the equation successfully.
MissP.25_5
Hello.
I need to derive this equation (attached), can you help me please?

That's the equation for a two-pair terminal medium-distance power transmission line (20~100km).
I have no idea how to start it. Can someone guide me, please?

Attachments

• image-26-05-14-11-42.jpeg
    image-26-05-14-11-42.jpeg
    15.5 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MissP.25_5. Perhaps a clue lies in that bottom line. :wink:

Try a Pi network, with the two vertical limbs each a capacitor, and the horizontal part R + L.

So this leaves the Earth as a straight-through link common to both ports.

Note, I haven't examined this further.

NascentOxygen said:
Hi MissP.25_5. Perhaps a clue lies in that bottom line. :wink:

Try a Pi network, with the two vertical limbs each a capacitor, and the horizontal part R + L.

So this leaves the Earth as a straight-through link common to both ports.

Note, I haven't examined this further.

Oh, yes! That's right, the Pi network is the solution! I just solved it, thanks to you!

MissP.25_5 said:
Oh, yes! That's right, the Pi network is the solution! I just solved it ...
Glad it worked! http://imageshack.com/a/img593/2259/girlpower.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello there,

I am happy to assist you with deriving the equation for a two-pair terminal medium-distance power transmission line. To start, let's break down the equation and understand each component.

The first part of the equation, Vt, represents the voltage at the transmitter end of the power line. This can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that voltage is equal to current multiplied by resistance (V=IR). In this case, the resistance is the total resistance of the power line, which includes both the resistance of the conductors and any additional resistance from components such as transformers or switches.

The second part of the equation, Vr, represents the voltage at the receiver end of the power line. This can also be calculated using Ohm's law, with the resistance being the same as the transmitter end.

The third part of the equation, Zt and Zr, represent the impedance at the transmitter and receiver ends, respectively. Impedance is the total opposition to current flow in the circuit, and it takes into account both resistance and reactance (the opposition to current flow caused by inductive and capacitive elements in the circuit).

The fourth part of the equation, It and Ir, represent the current at the transmitter and receiver ends, respectively. These can be calculated using Ohm's law, with the voltage being the same as the transmitter and receiver ends.

Finally, the term e^(-αL) represents the attenuation of the power line, which takes into account the loss of energy due to resistance and reactance as the power travels through the line.

To derive this equation, you will need to use a combination of Ohm's law and other electrical principles such as Kirchhoff's laws and the power formula (P=IV). It may also be helpful to draw a circuit diagram to visualize the different components and their relationships.

I hope this helps guide you in deriving the equation for a two-pair terminal medium-distance power transmission line. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your calculations!

Related to How Do You Derive the Equation for a Medium-Distance Power Transmission Line?

1. What is a power transmission line?

A power transmission line is a system of electrical conductors that are used to transmit electricity from power plants to substations, and eventually to homes and businesses. These lines are typically made of metal wires supported by tall towers or poles.

2. How does a power transmission line work?

A power transmission line works by using conductors to carry high-voltage electricity from one location to another. The electricity is generated at a power plant and is then sent through the transmission line to a substation. From there, it is distributed to homes and businesses at lower voltages.

3. What is the purpose of power transmission lines?

The main purpose of power transmission lines is to transport electricity over long distances. This allows electricity to be generated at centralized power plants and then distributed to areas that need it.

4. Are power transmission lines dangerous?

Power transmission lines can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not followed. The high voltages used in these lines can cause severe electric shocks and can also be a fire hazard. It is important to stay away from power transmission lines and to only approach them if necessary and with proper training and equipment.

5. How are power transmission lines maintained?

Power transmission lines are regularly inspected and maintained to ensure safe and reliable operation. This includes checking for any damage to the lines, repairing or replacing damaged components, and trimming trees or vegetation that could interfere with the lines. Maintenance is typically carried out by trained technicians and specialized equipment.