How Do You Correctly Draw Enantiomers of Ibuprofen?

In summary, the conversation involves a student asking for clarification on how to draw the enantiomers of ibuprofen and if there is a correct way to do so. The student mentions their attempt at drawing the molecule and their professor's response. The concept of R and S designation is discussed, with the professor clarifying that it doesn't matter where the wedge/dashes go as long as the priorities are in the correct decreasing order. The student then provides a picture of their drawn molecule and asks if it is the S enantiomer, with the professor confirming that it is. The conversation ends with the student questioning if their molecule is the same as the one their professor drew and the professor explaining that there is no hard and fast rule for
cdotter

Homework Statement

Draw the two enantiomers of ibuprofen using the correct dash and wedge bonds.

Homework Equations

ibuprofen_structure.jpg

(I was given a flat molecule like the one above.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I put a wedge from the asymmetric carbon to the hydrogen and a dash from the asymmetric carbon to the ring. My professor drew it as a wedge from the asymmetric carbon to the hydrogen and a dash from the asymmetric carbon to the methyl group. Is his way the correct way or does it not matter?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw it one way and it is the R enantiomer. Draw it the other way and it is the S enantiomer. The question asks you to draw BOTH and label them correctly.

You haven't done the problem yet.

I drew it both ways.

Wedge from the asymmetric carbon to the hydrogen and a dash from the asymmetric carbon to the ring; dash from the asymmetric carbon to the hydrogen and a wedge from the asymmetric carbon to the ring.

He marked it partially wrong and drew it

Wedge from the asymmetric carbon to the hydrogen and a dash from the asymmetric carbon to the methyl group; Dash from the asymmetric carbon to the hydrogen and a wedge from the asymmetric carbon to the methyl group.

Why is his way the more correct way?

Ibuprofen is a racemic mixture of both isomers. The active form is the S enantiomer. Were you supposed to know that or was it given in the problem?

Do you know the rules governing the R and S designation?

So it shouldn't matter where the wedge/dashes go as long as the priorities are in the correct decreasing order for either R and S? Sorry for not just posting what I drew but I don't have a scanner and I can't find any online molecule drawing software. :(

That's how I would grade it. Remember that the rule is to put the lowest priority dashed and then trace the remaining groups according to priority. Clockwise is R, counterclockwise is S. The configuration you determine is reversed from that when you switch any two groups.

http://bkchem.zirael.org/"

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it really matters in the grand schem of things, but it can start getting messy if you draw wedges and hashes attached to a ring atom. In some cases of course this is unavoidable.

[PLAIN]http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6450/19079153.png

I drew the one on the left. My professor drew the one on the right.

I believe mine is the S enantiomer?

Last edited by a moderator:
for your structure, the lowest priority group is wedged. It's OK but you need to keep in mind that the lowest priority substituent must be dashed for you to determine the configuration (clockwise = R for example). In your example, rank the substituents around the chiral center (include the hydrogen) and tell me your rationale for the S determination, please.

Are these the same molecule? I believe they are and your professor should not have counted your answer incorrect or partially wrong. By convention, the lowest two groups are dashed/wedged as your professor has shown but it isn't a hard and fast rule.

chemisttree said:
for your structure, the lowest priority group is wedged. It's OK but you need to keep in mind that the lowest priority substituent must be dashed for you to determine the configuration (clockwise = R for example). In your example, rank the substituents around the chiral center (include the hydrogen) and tell me your rationale for the S determination, please.

Are these the same molecule? I believe they are and your professor should not have counted your answer incorrect or partially wrong. By convention, the lowest two groups are dashed/wedged as your professor has shown but it isn't a hard and fast rule.

Lowest to highest priority: H, CH3, ring, COOH. Originally I drew it with hydrogen having a dash and the ring as a wedge. But that would make it the R enantiomer. I want the S, so I flipped the dash/wedges around and got the molecule on the left.

Related to How Do You Correctly Draw Enantiomers of Ibuprofen?

1. What are dash and wedge bonds?

Dash and wedge bonds are types of chemical bonds used to represent the 3-dimensional structure of molecules. They are visual representations of the spatial arrangement of atoms in a molecule.

2. How do dash and wedge bonds differ from regular bonds?

Dash and wedge bonds are used to show the orientation of atoms in a molecule, while regular bonds only show the connection between atoms. Dash bonds are used to represent bonds that are pointing away from the viewer, while wedge bonds represent bonds that are pointing towards the viewer.

3. When should dash and wedge bonds be used?

Dash and wedge bonds should be used when depicting molecules with a tetrahedral or trigonal bipyramidal shape. This includes molecules with sp3 hybridization, such as alkanes, and molecules with sp2 hybridization, such as alkenes and alkynes.

4. How are dash and wedge bonds drawn?

Dash and wedge bonds are drawn by placing a horizontal line (dash) or a triangle (wedge) on the bond between two atoms. The dash is used to represent a bond pointing away from the viewer, while the wedge is used to represent a bond pointing towards the viewer.

5. Can dash and wedge bonds be used in all molecules?

No, dash and wedge bonds are not necessary for all molecules. They are only used to show the 3-dimensional structure of molecules with tetrahedral or trigonal bipyramidal shapes. Molecules with linear or planar structures do not require the use of dash and wedge bonds.