Wedge-and-dash Molecular Structures in 2-dimensions

In summary, the conversation was about the difficulty in drawing a wedge-and-dash, 2 dimensional molecular structure for Vitamin C (ascorbic acid). The diagrams found on the internet were incomplete and did not show all the necessary atoms and bonds. The use of wedges and dashes to indicate stereochemistry was also discussed, with the conclusion that it can be difficult to accurately represent the absolute stereochemistry of certain carbons in ascorbic acid.
oray

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble drawing a wedge-and-dash, 2 dimensional molecular structure for Vitamin C (ascorbic acid). All of the diagrams I've looked at (on the Wikipedia page, and some .edu websites) are incomplete: they either don't include the carbon and/or hydrogens molecules, or the wedges and dashes

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried drawing it based on other diagrams found on the internet, but they are all incomplete (none of them actually inclde C6H8O6 (6 carbon, 8 hydrogen, and 6 oxygen). As I said earlier, the creators of the 2d diagrams often omit some of the carbons and hydrogens, or don't put in the wedges/dashes.

I've also tried looking at 3d models to figure out when wedges and dashes should be put in, but its hard to tell whether or not the angle of the bond is coming towards you, away from you, or neither one.

I've mostly been using this website to try and figure out how to do this.

http://www.3dchem.com/molecules.asp?ID=69#

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The stereochemistry you are asking about usually is shown only for select carbons... the ones that exhibit stereochemistry. In ascorbic acid there are two stereocenters. One bears a hydroxyl and the other is attached to the lactone ring. The hydrogen at that carbon is dashed in the Wiki drawing. Since the hydrogen is dashed, the carbon of the side chain (not the cyclic structure) is assumed to be wedged. It is difficult to show the absolute stereochemistry about that carbon by wedging the 2 carbon side chain but it is wedged nonetheless.

The stereochemistry about the adjacent carbon bearing the hydroxyl shows the OH group as being wedged. The hydrogen attached to the same carbon is not shown but is assumed to be dashed.

Thanks for your help! I wasn't familiar with a lot of the terminology you used (sophomore in high school) but I think I mostly understood what you were saying. Here's what I came up with (let me know if I got it right/wrong):
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/7160/2ddrawing.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't decipher the stereochemistry around the carbon bearing the OH on the side chain. You have the hydrogen, hydroxyl and the lactone ring all wedged. This means that they are all coming up out of the plane of the drawing. This makes understanding the stereochemistry about that carbon impossible.

Related to Wedge-and-dash Molecular Structures in 2-dimensions

What are wedge-and-dash molecular structures in 2-dimensions?

Wedge-and-dash molecular structures in 2-dimensions are a way of representing the three-dimensional structure of molecules on a two-dimensional surface. They use wedges and dashes to show the orientation of atoms in the molecule relative to each other.

Why are wedge-and-dash structures used?

Wedge-and-dash structures are used because they provide a clearer representation of the three-dimensional structure of molecules, allowing scientists to visualize the spatial arrangement of atoms and understand the properties and behavior of the molecule better.

How are wedge-and-dash structures drawn?

Wedge-and-dash structures are drawn by using wedges to represent atoms that are coming out of the plane of the paper, dashes to represent atoms that are going behind the plane of the paper, and solid lines to represent atoms that are in the same plane as the paper.

Can wedge-and-dash structures be used for all types of molecules?

Yes, wedge-and-dash structures can be used for all types of molecules, including organic and inorganic molecules. They are particularly useful for molecules with multiple stereocenters or chiral centers.

What information can be obtained from wedge-and-dash structures?

Wedge-and-dash structures can provide information about the spatial arrangement of atoms in a molecule, the bond angles and lengths, and the presence of stereoisomers. They are also used to predict the reactivity and properties of the molecule.