How Do You Convert Time into Radians and Calculate Rotational Acceleration?

• Thread starter Stevo11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotational
In summary, the flywheel rotating at 18.0 rad/s slows to a stop in 22.0 s. It has an angular acceleration of -.818 rad/sec/sec. It turns 198 rads before stopping. The final angular velocity is zero.
Stevo11
Rotational Accel/Radians <<Solved>>

Homework Statement

Question 1)
18. Convert the following measurements to radians.

c) the motion of an hour hand in 4.4 h = 2.3 Rad
d) Earth’s rotation in 28.5 h = 7.5 Rad

<<<<<<figured it out, thanks SammyS for that obivious yet overlooked detail lol :D >>>>>>>>

Question 2)
A flywheel rotating at 18.0 rad/s slows to a
stop in 22.0 s. Find

a) its angular acceleration. = -18.18rad/sec^2
b) the number of radians it turns before
stopping. 198 rads
c) the number of cycles it completes in
this time. 31.5 Cycles
d) the angular speed after 8.7 s. 11rads/sec

though i have a feeling this isn't the end of my issues lol, if anyone knows of an awsome site/article anything on rotational work please let me know, because I've been searching lol

Thanks sammyS

-stevo

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How many radians does the hour hand pass through in 12 hours?

(Problem written BDC - Before Digital Clocks!) LOL

Stevo11 said:

Homework Statement

Question 2)
A flywheel rotating at 18.0 rad/s slows to a
stop in 22.0 s. Find

a) its angular acceleration. = -18.18rad/sec^2
b) the number of radians it turns before
stopping.
c) the number of cycles it completes in
this time.
d) the angular speed after 8.7 s.

The Attempt at a Solution

A)found the angular acceleration,(-.818 rad/sec/sec) but I can't figure out the rest of it...

B) I tried 18*22 to get the Rads before stopping, but that didn't work...
22 rad/s is the initial ang. vel. (It's not rotating at that rate the whole time.) The final ang. vel. is zero. Assuming a constant angular acceleration, what is the Average angular velocity? Use that. Then for (C), I would simply convert radians to cycles: 1 Cycle = 2π radians.
C) I tried dividing 18/6.28 to get the Cycles/second then multiplying by 22 seconds.. but that's not right either

D) well I don't know where to start... :bugeye:

I tried a lot of different things to solve these questions, most of my efforts are scribbled on papers littered around my room lol. I'm just so extremely frustrated and need some help/guidance, I don't want to be spoon fed though (I don't learn that way), just a nice push would help, or show me an example done? those are always best for me to learn, but I can't find any "like" examples of close problems.

This is our final Unit in Classical physics and my teacher's a..well let's not go there, he can't teach at all, so we're left to our own devices... I am so hopelessly lost its painful. I know what a radian is (from calculus) and I know that 2pi is one cycle, but I've never had so much issue with anything in physics before... :mad:
(My students have claimed to have the same problem.)

Kinematic equations are much like kinematic equations for linear motion (constant acceleration):

[tex]v=v_0+a\,t\quad\leftrightarrow\quad \omega=\omega_0+\alpha t[/tex]

[tex]x-x_0=v_{avg}\ t=v_0\ t+(1/2)a\,t^2\quad\leftrightarrow\quad \theta-\theta_0=\omega_{avg}\ t=\omega_0 t+(1/2)\alpha t^2[/tex]

[tex]v_{avg}=\frac{v+v_0}{2}\quad\leftrightarrow\quad\omega_{avg}=\frac{\omega+\omega_0}{2}[/tex]

[tex]v^2={v_0}^2+\,2\,a(x-x_0)\quad\leftrightarrow\quad\omega^2={\omega_0}^2+\,2\,\alpha(\theta-\theta_0)[/tex]

OH wow I solved it all! thank you SOOO much Sammys! how about you replace my teacher? haha! really though thank you so much for such a speedy and helpful response, much appreciated :D!

Hi Stevo, it seems like you have successfully solved the conversion and calculation problems for rotational acceleration and radians. Good job!

As for your request for resources on rotational work, I recommend checking out websites such as Khan Academy and Physics Classroom for informative videos and articles on the topic. You can also refer to your textbook or lecture notes for more in-depth explanations. Additionally, practicing more problems and working through examples can also help solidify your understanding of rotational work. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Do You Convert Time into Radians and Calculate Rotational Acceleration?

1. What is rotational acceleration?

Rotational acceleration refers to the rate of change in the angular velocity of an object as it rotates around a fixed axis. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

2. How is rotational acceleration different from linear acceleration?

While linear acceleration refers to the change in velocity of an object in a straight line, rotational acceleration refers to the change in angular velocity of an object as it rotates around a fixed axis.

3. What is the unit for measuring rotational acceleration?

The unit for measuring rotational acceleration is radians per second squared (rad/s^2). This unit is derived from the SI unit for angular velocity, which is radians per second (rad/s).

4. How is rotational acceleration calculated?

Rotational acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is the rotational acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and t is the time.

5. What factors affect rotational acceleration?

Rotational acceleration is affected by the mass and distribution of the object, as well as the force applied to it. Additionally, the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, also plays a role in determining the rotational acceleration.