How Do You Convert Pendulum Swings to Frequency and Period?

In summary: In this case, the given information is frequency, which is 70 cycles per minute. To convert this to Hz, we need to divide by 60 (since there are 60 seconds in a minute) to get 1.167 Hz. For part b, we can use the equation T = 1/f to find the period. Plugging in our frequency of 1.167 Hz, we get a period of 0.85 seconds. In summary, the pendulum has a frequency of 1.167 Hz and a period of 0.85 seconds. This can be found by dividing the given cycles per minute by 60 to get the frequency in Hz and using the equation T = 1/f to find the
DeepPatel

Homework Statement

A pendulum swings at 70 cycles per minute.

a. What is the frequency in Hz?

b. What is the period in seconds?

Homework Equations

T = 1 / f

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) Used the answer for part b & I took the equation above, divided 1 by 1.167 cycles/second & got 0.85 Hz
For part b) What I did was divide 70 cycles by 60 seconds to get 1.167 cycles/second

I feel like I did it correct but I had gotten it wrong when the teacher had graded my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
You got it wrong because you're mixing up the definitions of frequency and period.

Also, in general, problems that are ordered by parts are usually done so logically, meaning that you use part A to help you solve part B. The fact that you felt the need to do it backward should have been a sign you were maybe doing something wrong.

It is also good practice to use information given by the questions to your advantage. For example, in part B, the questions asks "What is the period in seconds" meaning the answer should be seconds. Your answer is in cycles/second, which means your answer is wrong.

Last edited:
You have to understand first what is given, is it frequency or period? After that, you can correctly answer the questions.

Related to How Do You Convert Pendulum Swings to Frequency and Period?

What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is proportional to the displacement of the object. This means that the object will oscillate back and forth around a central equilibrium point.

What are some examples of harmonic motion?

Some examples of harmonic motion include a simple pendulum, a mass on a spring, and a guitar string. These systems all exhibit periodic motion where the restoring force is proportional to the displacement.

How is harmonic motion different from other types of motion?

Harmonic motion is different from other types of motion because it follows a specific pattern of oscillation due to the relationship between the restoring force and the displacement. Other types of motion, such as linear or rotational motion, do not necessarily follow this pattern.

What is the formula for calculating the period of harmonic motion?

The formula for calculating the period of harmonic motion is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This formula assumes the system is ideal and there is no friction or air resistance.

How do you solve a harmonic motion problem?

To solve a harmonic motion problem, you first need to identify the system and determine the values of the variables involved (mass, spring constant, etc.). Then, you can use the formula T = 2π√(m/k) to calculate the period and other relevant equations to find the amplitude, velocity, and displacement of the object at any given time.